Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Axles, Trannys, T-case

Notices

Thread: Dlux custom knuckles V2!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Default Dlux custom knuckles V2!

Ok. I am making a new thread since the new knuckles have a completely new design.

Benefits of these knuckles:
  • The knuckles have the ability to convert from 8* to non 8* just by moving the screw holes in the arm.
  • The knuckles have the ability to convert from AX10 chubs to Wraith chubs by using optional shims.
  • This is a knuckle and a knuckle weight all in one.
  • Cheaper than buying the two separate.
  • Much more manageable design to deal with rather than multiple separate pieces.
  • Oversize, low /no maintenance bearings are standard. If you have had bearing issues in the past, kiss them good bye!
  • Bearings for king pins.... super smooth, no slop! Building a 25lb Monster truck? We can put even bigger king pin bearings in.
  • Ultra-light all the way to decently heavy by using Delrin, 7075 or Brass
  • Due to the design, these have an extreme amount of strength at the arm. No more bent or broken arms.
  • Perfect steering arm geometry using zero ackerman.
  • Built in steering stop holes on the back side! Now you can protect your setup with an easy to set and use setup.
  • Optional slug holes to adjust your weight even more

Wraith stubs will be standard with a 5x13 outer bearing and 10x16 inner bearing.

8mm shafts will have options anywhere from 14mm to 22mm bearings but standard is 8x16x5.

LCC knuckles will be 6x12 inner and 5x13 outer.

Knuckles will start out at $82.

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 06-14-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Default Re: Dlux custom knuckles V2!

Here are some of the knuckles that have been made.

All Brass

All aluminum

Carbon/aluminum

Mix and match any arm material and knuckle material

Chris Martell's narrow bully knuckles

16mm inner and outer bearings, custom 7075 zero offset hubs for ultra narrow track width, additional slug holes, Ofna style stub.

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 06-22-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Here are some base weights so you can figure out what you need.

You will need to remember that even though you had 1oz of knuckle weight added to your setup, to compare to these, if your Wraith knuckles weigh 1oz, you really have 2oz that youre replacing so you would want a setup from me that is approx 2oz.

Completely loaded you will add approx 16g to the base knuckle. This can change drastically by additional slug holes, bearing size etc,.

7075 approx 31g per base weight

Delrin approx 15g per base weight

Brass approx 90g per base weight.

Half Delrin, Half Brass 2.1oz

Carbon upper arm 4g
Carbon lower arm 3g
Aluminum upper arm 7g
Aluminum lower arm 5g
Brass upper arm 22g
Brass lower arm 14g

More info on different weights to help you make up your mind.

I found out that the tungsten "slugs" can weigh over 1oz per side. Its pretty cool in the brass weights but in the Delrin or 7075 is even more significant since it can almost double the weight of your total knuckle.

Brass slugs 17g per 4

Tungsten carbide slugs 14g for 2, or 28g per 4. These are pretty expensive and hard to cut so I would not suggest them.

Tungsten putty looks to be a winner. 37g for 4 slugs worth.

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 06-22-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Disclaimers.... so much fun!

I need to make these in batches and because they are so custom, I have to make them to order. This means there could be a wait. I am guessing no more than a week, worst case 2 weeks. It all depends on how much other work I have.

I am insisting on building these knuckles with zero slop. I know from past experiences that the dimensions in the chubs can differ from manufacturer and also within each manufacturer's batches. I can build the knuckles to yours specs if you can measure your chubs (you must be able to trust your measurements), otherwise I will be building to the "norm".

AX10 measures .935" or 23.75mm and Wraith is 1.024" or 26mm. I will get pictures up ASAP as to what I am talking about.

If your chubs dont fit the norm or you are not sure, you can buy some from me that I guarantee will fit.

The steering arm hole is set for zero ackerman and if you’re using a 1" arm, the servo will max out perfectly with your steering. If you have an inefficient steering setup and are losing throw, its very simple to just throw another hole in the arm for the drag link and get as much steering as you want. Carbon is easy to modify and drill holes into if needed. These arms should provide any setup that you desire, you just need to be willing to make them your own if they dont work right out of the package.

The slugs are supposed to be sloppy in the holes. I dont want them to tarnish as all unfinished brass is and then not have a way to get them out.

The 8mm style is designed around ofna brand shafts. It's possible to use others such as rc4wd, jammin and other brands but be aware that there may be slight differences causing fitment issues

Everything but the arms are all handmade and fabricated. If you see some small blemishes, don’t be too surprised.

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 06-22-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Install instructions:
Check below or check this YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/1VbVoj3RiFo

Knuckle install is at 1:01:30
Steering stops is at 1:39:04

The only thing I would consider "difficult" about the assembly is knowing how to put the arms on. I will go through this below.

The knuckle has a top/bottom and front/back. Sounds pretty simple until all sides look the same when you first get them.

Here is a dimple in the knuckle for a bearing relief. This will be the easiest way to tell which side is what. The dimple is on the BACK (non hex) and BOTTOM (non steering arm) side of the knuckle.

The first thing you need to do is figure out if you need to run spacers between the knuckle and the arms. If youre running a Wraith/XR chub, you will need them. If youre running an AX10 wide chub, you dont.

When putting the arms on, make sure the flange of the bearing goes towards the inside of the knuckle.

Next, put the lower arm on. If youre running 8* stuff such as a Wraith, you will want to put the lower arm on so the arm is pushed closest to the hex side or, the inside screw holes. If youre running NON 8* stuff such as a AX10, you will want them in the outside holes and closer to the u joint, as seen in the picture below.

The top is going to be the opposite of the bottom arm. If youre running 8*, you want the arm closer to the universal side and if youre running non 8*, you want the arm closer to the hex. The way I remember is if youre using the inside screw holes on the lower arm, you want to use the outside holes on the upper arm and vice versa. Again, in the picture below, this is how you would mount the arm for non 8*. Do the opposite for 8*

With flanges on the inside, this is how it should look when youre all done.

Now all that is left is to mount them to the chub using the supplied balls going through the bearings.

Bearings
If there is any sort of slop or movement in the axle shaft bearings, put some loc tite on the bearings and on the axle shaft.

Adding steering stops couldn't be too much easier.

All you really need to do is find the appropriate length screw, put it in the steering stop hole and then thread it in or out until you get your desired length. This could be enough if you loc tite the screw in so it cant move but I went a bit further and put a spacer around my screw so this way the screw does not thread or un thread itself and also so the screw does not bend.

We found another great way to add a steering stop and some more weight.

I am finding that with a universal shaft, you want about 5mm plate or screw or what have you to use as a steering stop. I used two .100 rings which is a bit over 5mm and I will actually limit the steering just a hair more when I get time. Its pretty close though.

You can take one single .100 ring, cut it in 4 and do both sides with one ring. It might even be a better idea to cut them in 1/8's to get the weight really low and then put them on back too?

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 10-28-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Very awesome product Erik!!! I think you knocked it out of the ball park!!! Here just take my $$$$$! Seriously thou how do I get these?
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Just put them on my site
Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Dam you Eric

another one of your amazing parts that i'm going to have to buy

Eric can you add knuckle weights to this set up with say rcbro weights or is that what the slugs are for?
Also what is the weight of the half in half one?

Are the half and half going to be for sale as well?

Last edited by chevotafun; 01-10-2014 at 09:56 AM.
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Thats the beauty of the knuckle. You dont need anything additional other than just the rings themselves. If you look at the pictures above, if you took out the 4 slug holes, there are 2 threaded holes. Those are for extra rings that you bolt on. In fact, the way the slugs are held in is by a ring.

The half and half knuckles will be for sale. They wont be cheap though. Also, the idea is ideal but the function is not. The biggest hang up I have with them is that I cannot figure out a great way to attach extra rings. Thats a big downside that I will work on.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
RCC Addict

That's what I thought but had to ask.

Could you not just get rid of the slug holes and add a screw hole where the slugs were?

I'm guessing here but I would think the half in half would come in around 2oz or just under and that's perfect for me as that would be close to what i'm running now. with knuckle and weight 2.25ozs
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I so excited about these knuckles I can wait to see how they work on my sporty and possibly get another set for my berg!
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #12
Fifth dimension

Great stuff Erik! Congrats on another great idea. Maybe I'll order a set this weekend
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Awesome looking!, can't wait till mine get here
Bc Paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #14
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevotafun View Post
Could you not just get rid of the slug holes and add a screw hole where the slugs were?

I'm guessing here but I would think the half in half would come in around 2oz or just under and that's perfect for me as that would be close to what i'm running now. with knuckle and weight 2.25ozs
I just put a pic of the half/half up with the rest of the weights. Its sitting at 2.1oz.

I think it would be beneficial to figure out what weight knuckle to get and have the bottom half fully loaded with rings all the way out to the wheel. I know I am different and have different tastes but I just dont understand wasting or not using space on the bottom half of the knuckle. I personally dont see a single draw back to having the bottom half of your knuckles fully loaded. To each their own though. All roads lead to Rome, right?

Having said that, my advice would be to get a 7075 knuckle with brass slugs and then load up the bottom half with brass rings. That should get you really close to where you want to be. It would be ridiculously strong and all the weight would be in the right place. A full 7075 would only have about 7g more weight on the upper half than Delrin and if you can afford to be a bit lighter, the full delrin would be sweet since you get no weight on the top and can fully load the bottom half with rings and slugs if that will get you where you want.

Obviously these knuckles are about options. Let me know if I can help along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
Great stuff Erik! Congrats on another great idea. Maybe I'll order a set this weekend
Let me know. I just happen to have a set sitting right here.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Can't wait to get these
Looks awesome.
Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Damn you Erik always taking my money..

Are you still planning production on the V1 knuckles as well?
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #17
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Negative on the V1. They were horrible and time consuming to make. There may be some prototypes floating around eventually that need to be sold off.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Negative on the V1. They were horrible and time consuming to make. There may be some prototypes floating around eventually that need to be sold off.
Dang.. Ok.

I look forward to getting some of these
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Just like 1:1s - the more custom made, the sexier.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

about to put my order in but had a couple questions. I plan on running these on my xr10.

what size bearing is included for the kingpins?
arms are included with both knuckles?
how much do the insert slugs weigh?
are the rings you sell what I would need to mount to the knuckle if I need additional weight?

thanks!
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote

Dlux custom knuckles V2! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dlux custom knuckles Erik D_lux Axles, Trannys, T-case 34 01-07-2014 11:14 AM
DLUX Knuckles for EVERYTHING ! Harvo EnRoute Berg 21 12-05-2013 09:38 AM