Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Axles, Trannys, T-case

Notices

Thread: GCM A-13 MetalHead Axles Up Again-New Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default GCM A-13 MetalHead Axles Up Again-New Info

After a LONG wait, we are scheduled to produce these again in July.

We now offer 9 varieties of these units!

The Preorder for this run: Pre-Order for July production will open June 19th. We will be manufacturing during July and shipping end of July. Pre-order cut off is July 18th for July shipping. YOU HAVE 4 WEEKS TO GET ON THIS! We hope to over-produce and have a couple of extra sets for the stragglers
NOTE: For any who have used these before, you know there are some changes to be made to your rigs and setup to use these. Don't think you can just buy a set of SCX Metalheads and drop them on your JK Rubicon from Axial. You need to change the upper links, and there's no servo mount on the axle. Same for the Wraith sized housings, and of course the new custom sized housings. Please READ EVERY ITEM CAREFULLY on the gcmracing.ca website listed here: GCM Racing - MetalHead Drivetrain

NEW INFO AND ITEMS!

ALL HOUSINGS ARE BLACK.

We offer now varieties of these units, and they are as follows: (measurements are PIN to PIN)

SCX Width Housings: Front SCX Width, SCX steering parts = 7.20 inches (183mm) as stock from Axial, and use SCX Link Mount Spacing.
GCM Racing - A-13 SCX MetalHead Axles

SCX sized housing with WRAITH steering parts = 7.20 inch + 4mm per side, total 7.51 inches (191mm), and use SCX Link Mount Spacing.

AND NEW

CUSTOM SIZED WIDTH: When selecting Front or Rear CUSTOM size, please add your desired PIN TO PIN measurement, and we will manufacture to order. You can add a 'ADD NOTE TO SELLER' on the second paypal screen confirmation, under your shipping address. Please confirm there your custom width desired, or PM for a custom order here on the forum. These will use SCX Mount spacing also, meaning you can opt for XR width or custom sizes and fit onto a SCX or Rail frame easily.
GCM Racing - Custom A-13 MetalHead Axles

WRAITH Width Housings, Wraith Steering parts, 9.30 inches (236mm) as stock from Axial, using Wraith Link Mount Spacing.

GCM Racing WebStore-2014 - Wraith A-13 MetalHead Axles PreOrder

Please see the links on the product for pricing and more info. The order list is growing and generally we don't have much in stock after the pre-orders.

Thanks,
GCM Team

Last edited by Generis; 12-12-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Generis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
BDR
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: GCM A-13 MetalHead Axles Up Again-New Info

Is it possible to have XR 10 width?

So standard XR10 unis will work?
BDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Sure it is. You can order the axles any width you want, pin to pin measurement. It's that simple. Figure out what size you want on the diff centered, and we make them.
XR stock is not centered axles though, so you'd have to pick the length to make sure you can fit axles in there. OR as usual, CreeperBob makes up Ti axles with the straight axle rear or XR uni fronts, in any lengths.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #4

i would love a set to xr width, but i dont know the proper measurements. can somebody post up the pin to pin measurements and what axle shafts used to help us all out? i know the steering is xr unis, but im unsure on the rear.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

That's a great idea. I am waiting on my Uni's and rears to know myself. The XR I had is long gone..
Old 06-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quick measurement...

Front:

XR universal is 106.5 from the end to the pin hole for one side (8mm of this length engages into the locker) So I think this comes to 213.00mm pin to pin.

Rear:

Rear pin to pin is 195.50mm, but they are not centered.

I have a spare rear XR10 axle assembled as well as a set of XR10 universals I had laying around that I used for these measurements.

I can get better measurements later to verify. (I may even have the cad file that has this length already measured out...)
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
(8mm of this length engages into the locker) So I think this comes to 213.00mm pin to pin.
this would mean the locker is only 16mm wide... Ok. So then the shafts are touching eachover in the center of the XR
When you marry this into the SCX lockers, which are 24.8mm wide, if there's 8mm into the locker per side, that means there's 8.8mm in the locker that's got nothing in it.. is that right? Or are we all going to assume that the shafts will still come together in the center?
I'd love to assume that the shafts will touch in the center. It would mean the 213mm pin to pin is a solid measurement. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generis View Post
this would mean the locker is only 16mm wide... Ok. So then the shafts are touching eachover in the center of the XR
When you marry this into the SCX lockers, which are 24.8mm wide, if there's 8mm into the locker per side, that means there's 8.8mm in the locker that's got nothing in it.. is that right? Or are we all going to assume that the shafts will still come together in the center?
I'd love to assume that the shafts will touch in the center. It would mean the 213mm pin to pin is a solid measurement. Thanks for the input!
The shafts don't touch. If they did everyone wouldn't complain about VP lockers.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
The shafts don't touch. If they did everyone wouldn't complain about VP lockers.
Ok, I measured the SCX "iron cross" locker at 14.85mm wide, and the flats of the XR universal are 8mm, meaning they could touch in the middle with 1.15mm over. However, most existing XR set-ups (OEM XR, burly tubes, etc) are set so that they are further apart and either just barely, or don't touch.
I think your measurement of 24.8mm includes the two 5mm bearings which the axle shafts sit inside of. The flats of the shaft should be fully (or as close to it) engaged in the locker.
Just measured the XR uni's again a little more accurately at 106.25mm from end to pin, so a pin to pin measurement of 213mm should be a good way to go. Solid engagement in the locker, but not touching each other in the center.

For the rear, I didn't feel like taking apart the spare XR axle tonight, but I think if you wanted to match the width of the front, I think it would be better to get the same pin-pin measurement, and just cut down some long side wraith rear shafts (or get some from the above mentioned vendor).
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thanks for checking. I've added a 213 option to the Custom Axle page for the easy shopping using XR fronts. You can get 213 rear shafts from CreeperBob.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Won't be long now.... Get your orders in by Saturday, they get assembled and finished next week!

Old 09-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I've just finished assembling the new A-13 MetalHead truck for the shows, it's a PS Wraith with FreqeSkinz and GCM A-13 MetalHead axles.
As per my usual, I updated the rims with RCMart units and ProLine Chisels. Also flipped the lower mounts to get some pinion angle. The rest of this is a direct Box Stock truck including all links and the stock servo. It has the exact same travel up front as the stock truck had, but now the servo doesn't hit the front body grille I added a 68mm long steering link to the stock crossbar. Here's some pics of the finished buildup. You can come see this rig at the GCM Vendor tent at events we attend, and get a look at the setup for yourself.

Last edited by Generis; 12-12-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #13

When are the nylon scx housings going to be available..I just seen them today for the first time and cant get over how awesome they are and I want a set so bad...
Jaketheone46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Any pics with cms hooked up?
I'm looking at a custom 191 front axle and was wondering how to hookup a panhard mount to it..
will the lower bracket in this kit work with your axle?
Wraith Panhard Kit - Vanquish Products
bronc4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc4now View Post
Any pics with cms hooked up?
I'm looking at a custom 191 front axle and was wondering how to hookup a panhard mount to it..
will the lower bracket in this kit work with your axle?
Wraith Panhard Kit - Vanquish Products
We do have a milled area on the Wraith versions for this. If you want that on your custom sized ones, we can do that for you. Our tubes are actually a bit larger diameter than the VP bracket allows, which is why we mill the end for the bracket.
Can do.
Thanks
Old 12-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

GCM Racing - A-13 MH Pinion Covers

ALL the MetalHead Axle housings from the very beginning share the same cover geometry. This means if you're looking to replace a worn cover on an old Steel MetalHead version, or upgrade your cover to a Tabbed 4Link cover, all of these will fit together! Any of the MetalHead generations share this same item fitment.
This new option lets you upgrade the pinion bearings also. We've got the stock 5 x 11 x 4 bearing covers available, as well as the Upgraded 5 x 13 x 4 LARGE bearing options to keep your trucks running longer in more punishing conditions.

All covers are BLACK anodized aluminum finish.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

GCM Racing - A-13 MH Panhard Kit

We've had this panhard axle bracket in operation for years on our own rigs, and finally now offering it to MetalHead users. It's a simple slide-on unit that secures from the back with 2 setscrews, clamping it on the tube so it won't slide around. These are tough billet aluminum and fit on ALL MetalHead axles in any variety.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Our next production on this unit is likely late in January 2015.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #19

hey do you guys have the upgraded pinion covers in stock or are those in the que?

i ordered 4 of them back in early december and havent got any communication other than the order confirmation.

no rush, just wondering when i should be expecting them.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

We shipped them the same day. Same thing likely with most of the time we mail to you, it's likely somewhere in your building's mail system.
Thanks for the order. We do have stock on hand.

GCM A-13 MetalHead Axles Up Again-New Info - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GCM A-13 All Aluminum Wraith MetalHead Axle Housings Generis Axles, Trannys, T-case 58 06-19-2014 08:02 PM
GCM MetalHead Axle Pre-Order Now Open Generis Axles, Trannys, T-case 99 04-19-2013 12:30 PM
VP Currie axles or GCM Metalhead axles for scx10 Swamp Dowg Axial SCX-10 8 03-31-2013 11:03 AM