Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Axles, Trannys, T-case

Notices

Thread: Holmes Spools for Axial (and HPI)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2014, 04:05 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Holmes Spools for Axial (and HPI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribaja View Post
Can I ask a stupide question what does the locker inline or 90 off set do

Ya, me too. What does it do for fast-run'n rigs?
nigelpheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2014, 07:30 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

I have a quick question. What is the difference between the phased and non phased versions and what is the benefit of the phased version?
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:07 AM   #23
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Inventory updated, and we also have aluminum CrawlMaster spools in stock. Pic on the site is not updated as of this moment.

Now all spools we are making are in-phase to reduce drivetrain harmonics. The original batch was at 90 degrees out of phase to increase the strength a bit, but since so many people are pushing for fast these days we are just going to make in-phase spools from now on.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Inventory updated, and we also have aluminum CrawlMaster spools in stock. Pic on the site is not updated as of this moment.

Now all spools we are making are in-phase to reduce drivetrain harmonics. The original batch was at 90 degrees out of phase to increase the strength a bit, but since so many people are pushing for fast these days we are just going to make in-phase spools from now on.
Glad to hear you are making more in-phase, I missed out on the first batch.

Order placed, thanks.

I want the in-phase for my comp crawler, not my go fast. I like the way it bounces up and down, together, when the wheels are turned applying some speed, instead of the left to right, back and forth bouncing that the offset 90* does.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Are you able to ship these first class? Shouldn't be $7 to ship a few spools... I sent a email with no reply so far.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #26

At the moment we don't use first class. 99% of what we ship contains electronics. When I started the business we had an extremely high rate of product damage with first class, the longer it sits in transit the more likely damage. Spools would be OK though, it would be about $4.50 for two of them. A portion of every order's shipping cost gets paid to my packager as a bonus, which makes him work extremely fast and is why there is a small handling fee on every order. Because of the way our site calculates shipping, it would be fastest and easiest to order as normal and ask for first class. We will refund the difference when it is processed.

Who or how did you email? I'm not seeing anything in the last few days from you.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
At the moment we don't use first class. 99% of what we ship contains electronics. When I started the business we had an extremely high rate of product damage with first class, the longer it sits in transit the more likely damage. Spools would be OK though, it would be about $4.50 for two of them. A portion of every order's shipping cost gets paid to my packager as a bonus, which makes him work extremely fast and is why there is a small handling fee on every order. Because of the way our site calculates shipping, it would be fastest and easiest to order as normal and ask for first class. We will refund the difference when it is processed.

Who or how did you email? I'm not seeing anything in the last few days from you.
Yeah I understand for electronic items but spools is just a chunk of metal.

I used the contact form on your site.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #28

We have been having some issues with that not always coming through and are going to remove it and use our own interface, sorry about that. Email jonathan@ directly or just place the order and put a note in the text box thingy.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:09 PM   #29

Should you use the little gasket that goes between the gear and the locker with these spools or is there no need?
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Thanks John I ended up picking up some spools and hd gears from a buddy. I'll grab some from you once I start my next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
Should you use the little gasket that goes between the gear and the locker with these spools or is there no need?
No need with a spool.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #31

I designed these to have stock spacing without the gasket.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:17 PM   #32

Great thanks
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Just got mine tonight. It was a interesting install. I have vvds in my axles and one side went into the spool just find and the other side wouldn't go in so I made it go in with a rubber hammer. Bolted it up and gear mesh was really tight...so used heat, wd40, and a rubber hammer to get it out grinded down the tang a little bit now it slids in and out without much slop. just thought I'd share. They are great spools besides that. NOt sure if its a vvd issue or spool issue. Needless to say my fingers hurt. I will wait to do the rear tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #34

VVDs have slightly thicker tangs than Axial ones. I've been working on a design that can accomodate them both, but I don't have the right tool holders to make it possible in my machine. Yet...

You may try sanding the edges where the tang transfers from flat to round. That is where the interference is on VVDs. It isn't the tang width anywhere but just right on that edge.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I got it to work fine. Would have been nice to know before I forced it in there and killed my hands getting it out and filing it down a bit on the edge. All good now.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:38 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Tried mounting my hh spools yesterday and the side of the spool that holds the bevel gear is just too tight. The other side worked as described - with a little wiggle.

What should I do about this? I could possible hammer the shaft in and try get it out with some gripper to make the hole big enough? I tried stock wraith shafts, universals and VP vvds.
Both spools I have is like this.
Crawler++ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #37

Sand the shaft a bit to knock the edge of the tang off. You won't need to make the tang thinner. Thanks for the feedback on the fitment, if a little sanding doesn't get the shafts in we will get you traded out.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Sand the shaft a bit to knock the edge of the tang off. You won't need to make the tang thinner. Thanks for the feedback on the fitment, if a little sanding doesn't get the shafts in we will get you traded out.
Ok thanks I'll give that a try. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:41 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Hi again. I tried sanding the edges of the tang slightly. This improved things a little. However when there is about 5mm left of the tang to go in it's completely jammed. I will try put the axle in a wise and hammer the spool onto it. Doing that a few times will hopefully open it up.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Found that the torque master spool isnt a drop in for the centered currie axle. VP has their axle shafts basically touching and the spool isnt a through hole design.
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote