RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axles, Trannys, T-case (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles-trannys-t-case/)
-   -   TorqueMaster Outdrives for Axial Transmissions (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles-trannys-t-case/536981-torquemaster-outdrives-axial-transmissions.html)

JohnRobHolmes 05-29-2015 04:29 PM

TorqueMaster Outdrives for Axial Transmissions

1 Attachment(s)
Now announcing our latest product line, Spool style transmission outdrives for Axial Transmissions! Co-designed by John Holmes and Don Eidson, these are far stronger than regular outdrives and lighter too! They take the stress off of those little screws that overdrive/ underdrive gearing creates, and are made with the highest quality material and tolerance.

While supplies last, stock length SCX style comes with lightening holes and 6 screw holes for twice the shear strength!

High quality domestic 4340 Chromoly MADE IN THE USA at Holmes Hobbies!
Spool design reduces screw breakage caused by overdrive/underdrive stress
One year warranty
Weight varies by model

For more info and pricing on the full product line of TorqueMaster Outdrives, visit our site.

Holmes Hobbies LLC

1beatjeep 05-29-2015 05:49 PM

Re: TorqueMaster Outdrives for Axial Transmissions

These sure look like Crawler Innovations outputs?

Norton 05-29-2015 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Crawler Innovations are two piece, shaft on each side of the gear.
These look to be 1 solid shaft with a retainer ring.
Looks like a better design to me."thumbsup"

winnerone23 06-02-2015 03:30 AM

I can't wait to put my next order in.. A couple of these are coming home to me!

Great work JRH and Don!

JohnRobHolmes 06-02-2015 09:26 PM

Do tell, 1beatjeep! If you have some recently purchased outputs from CI, it would have a lot of the same design feel since I made them. But the measurements and construction is unique to Eddies product.

TorqueMaster outdrives are solid shaft connecting the front and rear axles together, it is the only product that does this. We will be working this week on an assembly video and pics showing how they work. The lock ring side is a little thinner than stock spacing on SCX models, we will provide shims for best fit in both aftermarket and stock cases.

Thanks Troy! It took a lot of work and effort to program and learn the machining of these. It is tough to beat the feeling of bringing design into fabricated parts from start to finish! Don had the spool concept and sent a drawing. I took it from there, added tolerances and tweaked dims. The hard part was making a machine actually cut those dims. Every driveshaft needed it's own unique path to account for bar flex during machining.

JohnRobHolmes 06-02-2015 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Barstock, sectioned off half cut, fully cut parts. It is one of the few parts I make by rechucking the material back into the machine. I much prefer full automation making my parts, but these were too rad to get lazy on :)

snapon boy 06-02-2015 09:47 PM

It's back!

MountainStorm 06-02-2015 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapon boy (Post 5237601)
No image. Sorry

There is an image for me.:roll:

Great job JRH"thumbsup"

Norton 06-02-2015 10:05 PM

I can see it fine!

JohnRobHolmes 06-02-2015 10:06 PM

Image uploaded here so all can see

CD13 06-02-2015 11:33 PM

Just got mine on the way, Thanks John "thumbsup"

Trugg 06-03-2015 04:10 AM

Awesome product"thumbsup"

Why are stock length SCX style outputs the only ones that come with lightening holes and 6 screw holes?

binaryterror 06-03-2015 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trugg (Post 5237726)
Why are stock length SCX style outputs the only ones that come with lightening holes and 6 screw holes?

Designed for the sportsman rigs, light weight it needed there.

JohnRobHolmes 06-03-2015 06:49 AM

The lightening is not an easy or fast process, nor is machining them with 6 holes. The long versions would have a much higher price if done that way.

JohnRobHolmes 06-27-2015 02:04 PM

Blast from the past! Was rummaging through old parts bins and found my first 5mm extended output. All the way back from 2006, it was made for stealth trannies before axial was around! Five years before the "invention" of this style output, so I hear :lol:

Just look at that smeary finish (Ok, so photo doesn't look so bad, but I promise it bugs me being a machinist) and lack of cross pins. Back when set screws and stampede trannies were the norm! You newbs with your stock replacement parts, you have it easy I tell ya! I'll keep making it easy for you too with these parts.

Thanks for the support with these. Stock length has been very popular. I'll try to make the next run lightened with extra screw holes again, seems to really make yall happy!

JohnRobHolmes 06-27-2015 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
photo or it didn't happen!

snapon boy 06-27-2015 02:16 PM

Thank you! For making family time the most fun it can be! I tortured my hh solid lightned diff today. I will be buying more!

Stormin2u 06-27-2015 02:23 PM

Looking good these are the nicest i've seen on the market. "thumbsup"

1beatjeep 07-05-2015 11:04 AM

Understand but did you get the same idea from CI?
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 5237581)
Do tell, 1beatjeep! If you have some recently purchased outputs from CI, it would have a lot of the same design feel since I made them. But the measurements and construction is unique to Eddies product.

TorqueMaster outdrives are solid shaft connecting the front and rear axles together, it is the only product that does this. We will be working this week on an assembly video and pics showing how they work. The lock ring side is a little thinner than stock spacing on SCX models, we will provide shims for best fit in both aftermarket and stock cases.

Thanks Troy! It took a lot of work and effort to program and learn the machining of these. It is tough to beat the feeling of bringing design into fabricated parts from start to finish! Don had the spool concept and sent a drawing. I took it from there, added tolerances and tweaked dims. The hard part was making a machine actually cut those dims. Every driveshaft needed it's own unique path to account for bar flex during machining.

JohnRobHolmes 07-05-2015 02:24 PM

Thanks for the kind words! The support is much appreciated!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1beatjeep (Post 5256364)
Understand but did you get the same idea from CI?

I made an extended output in 2006 as mentioned a few posts up, two years before another vendor started making extended versions. The idea in any form is not new or novel, I don't remember (or care) if is is my original concept but it seems that way searching back through old posts. Gearing down so I could add more voltage was my reason for making it, back when sensorless brushless outrunners and cheap machine wounds needed that extra gearing and voltage. Since that one was for a stealth tranny, it bolts right into an axial tranny too.

Yotachump made his sets to the same lengths as mine around 2008, I don't remember if it was by chance or if I shared ideas. I certainly bought plenty of his parts, and he was more than capable of knowing how to clear a fat driveshaft past a spur gear "thumbsup". After he stopped making them, Supershafty and CI picked up around 2011 with those same lengths and changed for different driveshafts.

After I got the production lathe, it was time to look back at outputs. Don pushed me pretty hard to make some, and it was his idea to make them spool style. It just took time to figure out how to make em on my machine, within the tooling limitations and programming language.

There's your RCC history lesson for today :ror: