Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Axles, Trannys, T-case

Notices

Thread: FBA axle shafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #1
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Default FBA axle shafts

These have gone through testing and not a peep out of them. They have held up rock solid!

These axle shafts are to fit a Berg (with the Missing Link Locker) or Axial XR10.

Made from heat treated 4340 which is some of the best grade steel around. I then zinc coated them to protect them from the elements.

The 4340 shafts will come with either the stock Axial stub (Wraith/XR style) or the 8mm stub version. You will need knuckles to match the stub shaft. If youre running the Axial version, either a XR or Wraith knuckle is needed. If youre running the 8mm stub version, you will need knuckles that accommodate 8mm stub shafts (such as the Dlux knuckles).

These universal shafts are capable of approx 70* of steering.

These shafts are virtually identical to the Axial shafts except I added material everywhere I could get away with. The inner shafts are no longer sloppy like the stock ones for this reason.

There is only one big problem with these shafts. The problem is that they are so expensive for me to produce that I cannot order as many as I think we will need all in one shot so, if you think you want these, grab them while you can. As soon as I start running low, I will order more but it will be close to 2-3 months from me ordering till they are back on the market.

Group buys and dealers welcome when purchasing 5 sets or more.

XR length
https://dluxfab.ecwid.com/#!/FBA-Axl...tegory=6232189

SCX length

Wraith length

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 07-21-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2016, 04:51 AM   #2
BDR
Quarry Creeper

Default re: FBA axle shafts

Jesus you do some GREAT work mate
BDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #3
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I would like to keep most the information about these shafts here.

First and foremost, when running these shafts,
YOU MUST RUN A MECHANICAL STEERING STOP. This does not include your servo epa.

The shafts are ground to 70* steering. Stock universals only allow 50* steering and this will let you steer so far until the shaft will actually act as a steering stop (a really poor one). Since these shafts have 70* of steering, they are not capable of doing this. If you do not have steering stops, they will allow the shaft to go as much as 90* and this will instantly lead to breakage! I suggest setting a steering stop as conservative as possible. If youre using these in a go fast car, I would set the steering stops around 50*. If its a slow crawler, you can push it a bit further. Please understand this. If these shafts break, it will be from the lack of steering stops. After selling shafts for years and years along with seeing other people run other brands, I know almost all shaft breakage comes from the lack of steering stops.

Here are some other great questions about the shafts. If you have other questions not seen here, please post in this thread so everybody can learn.

Super lite axles need the inner shaft length ground down approx .070" or they will meet in the middle of the missing link locker.

Quote:
how does it compare in strenthg to the axial universal and also how much stronger is it with the 8mm stub shaft
I dont have any test results between mine and stock axial shafts. All I can say is that mine are made from the best steel and hardened, stock are not.

The 8mm stub shaft is worlds stronger than the axial. 8mm diameter vs 3.5mm diameter on the axial. Also, the 8mm stub uses a 2.5mm hex pin vs. stock at 2mm hex pin. That alone is tons stronger.

Quote:
besides running your knuckles what else do i have to run to get the 8mm stub shaft, do your knuckles have stops in them like the vanquish scale knuckles do?
My knuckles are much, much easier to put a steering stop on. All you do is put a screw with a washer (quantity of washers depends on the steering angle). It has threaded holes front and rear, which I suggest doing both.

For the stub, you would also need either my 8mm hex or some of my hubs that eliminate the hexes. They can all be found here: Dlux Fab

Quote:
can use your hubs that eliminate the wheel nut on my vanquish rims? and do your knuckles clear 1.9 vp rims if so whats the narrowest hub i can get by with?
The wheel questions are always tough. There are so many variables. If its the VP wheels that have the large opening on the back, yes they will work. The knuckles need approx 1.75" inside diameter to work.

If youre going to use this on a scaler or crawler, you can use one of my delrin hubs. If its go fast or abusive, I would use the stainless hubs. If you need more width out of the stainless hubs, grab the spacers that I make also. They go up to 1/4" thick which should be more than you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyb View Post
If I want to use a set of SLW wheels with the ofna style stub axles on an AR60 style axle, where do you order the SLW adapter? Then how is the wheel held on, is it the adapter? Been cruising the website for a while. I found them in this picture, but it doesn't help me much. I have a set of locked up SLW wheels that I was hoping to use with your knuckles and the FBA shafts, unless they are not wraith length.
That is a great question!

Its really confusing because there are so many options. I assure you, all are stupid simple except one of those options.

If you are using this on a no so fast car, my simple delrin hubs work great.

If you are using it as a go fast, use the stainless hubs. If you need the stainless to be wider, use some hub spacers.

Stainless and Delrin hubs:

Dlux Fab

Hub spacers:

Dlux Fab

If you really like your SLW hubs or Shift hubs, just use my 12mm hex. This is the not so easy one though. If you use this option you will have to grind the stub shaft down so the hub can sit on the hex. The 12mm hex is also in the link above with the Delrin and Stainless hubs.

Here is how the hubs work. Pretty simple.

First, you have 4 total pieces. The Delrin hub, the hex pin, the set screw and the axle stub.

To install, first put the hub on the stub and align the holes for the hex pin.

Now install the hex pin

After installing the hex pin, you will want to put a set screw in the end of the shaft. This set screw will press against the hex pin and hold it in.

The stainless works the same way as the Delrin.

Here are the pictures of a stub using the 12mm hex. First one is before cutting it down, second is after.

With the 12mm version, I made an over simplified picture book.

Here are all the parts laid out in order

Install set screw

Install hex and hex pin

Hub

Finally the nut

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 05-31-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:17 AM   #4
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Examples of steering stops. Add yours to the thread and I will post them here.

The more you limit your steering, the more life you will get out of your shafts. Limit them as much as possible.

Dlux knuckles. Simply add a screw and the washer that limits your steering to the desired amount and youre done. Since this is so easy, I suggest doing it to the front and rear of the knuckles.

Vanquish scale knuckles should be all figured out from the package.

Vanquish Wraith knuckles and some others... Thisi is about the only thing I have seen. People use Revo balls but you could also find something with a bigger diameter if you need to limit the steering more.

They simply use an extra steering arm on the back side of the knuckle with a screw and rod ball to hit the housing where they want.

I have also used the screws on the chubs with washers or you could drill a hole in the backside of the chub and do the same. Lots of ways to do it.

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 05-09-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
Wanna get? Gotta want.

save2
Old 04-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

following
sirbuildsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Any other lengths on the drawing board?
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:16 AM   #8
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Sent a PM
Old 04-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

If I want to use a set of SLW wheels with the ofna style stub axles on an AR60 style axle, where do you order the SLW adapter? Then how is the wheel held on, is it the adapter? Been cruising the website for a while. I found them in this picture, but it doesn't help me much. I have a set of locked up SLW wheels that I was hoping to use with your knuckles and the FBA shafts, unless they are not wraith length. Thanks for your time!

Dlux Fab
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:22 AM   #10
Wanna get? Gotta want.

That is a great question!

Its really confusing because there are so many options. I assure you, all are stupid simple except one of those options.

If you are using this on a no so fast car, my simple delrin hubs work great.

If you are using it as a go fast, use the stainless hubs. If you need the stainless to be wider, use some hub spacers.

Stainless and Delrin hubs:

Dlux Fab

Hub spacers:

Dlux Fab

If you really like your SLW hubs or Shift hubs, just use my 12mm hex. This is the not so easy one though. If you use this option you will have to grind the stub shaft down so the hub can sit on the hex. The 12mm hex is also in the link above with the Delrin and Stainless hubs.

Here is how the hubs work. Pretty simple.

First, you have 4 total pieces. The Delrin hub, the hex pin, the set screw and the axle stub.

To install, first put the hub on the stub and align the holes for the hex pin.

Now install the hex pin

After installing the hex pin, you will want to put a set screw in the end of the shaft. This set screw will press against the hex pin and hold it in.

The stainless works the same way as the Delrin.

Here are the pictures of a stub using the 12mm hex. First one is before cutting it down, second is after.

With the 12mm version, I made an over simplified picture book.

Here are all the parts laid out in order

Install set screw

Install hex and hex pin

Hub

Finally the nut

Old 04-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Wow, amazing, thanks for the right up! Do you have them in AR60 length?
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:02 AM   #12
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Sending a PM
Old 07-11-2016, 07:44 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Love what you have done with these axles Erik!
So I just let my nephew run my Wraith and he managed to break one of my newer VVD's. Twisted the shaft right at the locker. Have you ever come across this issue with your axles? I'm running 4S Holmes setup, 11lb and everything Vanquish at the moment but having these fail on me is seriously making me reconsider their axles and look at yours.
NWHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #14
Wanna get? Gotta want.

There has not been a single issue with any shafts of any sort.

11lb is a lot of love! LOL.

Let me know if I can help.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #15
"GOD SPEED"

His axles are destroy approved (winnerone23) if anyone is gonna break one it's him and he has not been able to. I have a set and they are awesome, you will not be disappointed with them.
nerby149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #16
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I introduce my life savings! Ha! Just kidding, its all on credit.

The SCX length FBA shafts showed up early! All those who pre ordered are shipping today. Since they are early and I know there are quite a few that have messaged me saying they are waiting for their pay checks etc,. I will keep the pre order pricing up till the end of the month.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2016, 01:14 AM   #17
Got Worms?

Default Re: FBA axle shafts

That is an impressive pile of shafts...

Now that you have knuckles for the losi. Do any of your inner shafts have a big enough diameter that I can grind in a square to fit in a losi spool? Or should I just man up and throw away the worms and rock your moa axles?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #18
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
That is an impressive pile of shafts...

Now that you have knuckles for the losi. Do any of your inner shafts have a big enough diameter that I can grind in a square to fit in a losi spool? Or should I just man up and throw away the worms and rock your moa axles?
This is the best bet for LCC shafts at this point:

One more Losi Comp Crawler product and I swear I am done! LOL

Youre waaaaay past due for a Berg. LOL.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #19
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
This is the best bet for LCC shafts at this point:

One more Losi Comp Crawler product and I swear I am done! LOL

Youre waaaaay past due for a Berg. LOL.
Yea, I seen those. But I wasn't sure what todo about the inner shaft?

I still have the custom shafts I made from bully cvd's using bully knuckles and an extremely modified set of losi chubs. I've been thinking about using those with your new knuckles. But It would be cool if I could get some crazy steering universals in it also.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #20
Wanna get? Gotta want.

The inner shaft is just a LCC inner and then you sleeve that with a axial outer and weld it. You could probably do that part yourself?

There is no replacement for close to 70* of steering.

FBA axle shafts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FBA axle shafts - XR length – Dlux Erik D_lux EnRoute Berg 42 05-12-2016 07:24 PM
FBA axle shafts - AR60 length – Dlux Erik D_lux Axial Wraith 0 05-09-2016 09:32 AM
FBA axle shafts - XR length – Dlux Erik D_lux Axial XR10 0 04-19-2016 07:23 AM