Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > California

Notices

Thread: South Bay Scalers RC club

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Spent half of the day at Linda Vista on Saturday. Most fun I have had yet with my rig. Drove the whole park going from attraction to attraction, then did it again. I even drove my rig unassisted over the hiking trail and down the trecherous back side. What a view from the top!!! I could have made the entire trip without helping the rig had I gone the entire route without turning around. I just had to see if I could make the climb back up...Nope! The foot of god had to give the rig a few kicks in the arse to make it(super soft dirt and loose as hell in spots)....Next time I go , I MUST make a video.

Watch out for the rattlesnakes! I darn near put my hand into one that was coiled in the rocks near the waterfall. I grew up here near the Quicksilver park so they are not new to me but it scared the Crap out of me!

JB
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #62
Rock Stacker

Welcome to Cupertino!

Yea, it's a pretty good spot for scalers.
Here is a vid I took several weeks ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc7E7oLATcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserHead View Post
Spent half of the day at Linda Vista on Saturday. Most fun I have had yet with my rig. Drove the whole park going from attraction to attraction, then did it again. I even drove my rig unassisted over the hiking trail and down the trecherous back side. What a view from the top!!! I could have made the entire trip without helping the rig had I gone the entire route without turning around. I just had to see if I could make the climb back up...Nope! The foot of god had to give the rig a few kicks in the arse to make it(super soft dirt and loose as hell in spots)....Next time I go , I MUST make a video.

Watch out for the rattlesnakes! I darn near put my hand into one that was coiled in the rocks near the waterfall. I grew up here near the Quicksilver park so they are not new to me but it scared the Crap out of me!

JB
MonsterDDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Sweet! I love that spot you were side-hilling at. Can your rig make it from the bottom under the bridge,to the top without help? I made it a few times, tried many times though.
You gonna enter the into the Team Scale rig comps with your rig? I will be rolling an FJ40 as well if all goes well...

JB
Old 06-23-2009, 01:31 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Linda vista is a great spot, haven't been there with the scaler though may need to check it out. FYI the Team Trials comps are for 1.9 wheeled rigs only. Sorry no 2.2 rigs allowed.

JB shot me a PM about those tires

Last edited by rckjeep; 06-23-2009 at 01:34 AM.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #65
I joined the Band!

You guys got any more pictures of that park? I saw the video and was wondering if there were some other places to take my scale truck like cool trails and what not.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
You guys got any more pictures of that park? I saw the video and was wondering if there were some other places to take my scale truck like cool trails and what not.

If you are up for it, I would meet you there and take you on the trail I did. It is physically demanding for you as well as the truck though. I was wearing sandals(never again!) when I did the trail and was sore as heck the next day from sliding and exerting extra muscle to climb. The trail takes you up and up and up, then a KILLER VIEW of Santa Clara County from SJ to MT view and beyond. Once you get past that view, you get another view of a valley that is between the park and Stevens Res(cant see the water). Then there's an even steeper hill going down the back side that can not be denied as BAD AZZ for our trucks. Real test of drag brake set-up for sure! I made it! You can see trails going on for days(probably could drive all the way to SC Res?) I decided to pull a 180 and try my luck at climbing the beast I drove down. I didn't make it but I know I could with specific tires. I have yet to drive on a more "scale" looking trail for our sized rigs. That hill is narrow and rutted and a total blast!!! I looked for the new camera we have that does the HD videos before I left but shamefully, I could not find it.

Even if you decide not to set foot on that hiking trail, there are litterally rock structures and hills everywhere! The man made creek thingy was my favorite part as far as Crawling(in the video you saw of the FJ40). The faux waterfall rules! Rattlesnake almost got me in there though....Watch where you roll into!

Opps! I don't know how to write short posts...Sorry!

JB
Old 06-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #67
Rock Stacker

Hey JB,

Isn't the trail blocked by a gate? Well... perhaps it opens during summer that I didn't pay attention.

DT

Quote:
If you are up for it, I would meet you there and take you on the trail I did. It is physically demanding for you as well as the truck though. I was wearing sandals(never again!) when I did the trail and was sore as heck the next day from sliding and exerting extra muscle to climb. The trail takes you up and up and up, then a KILLER VIEW of Santa Clara County from SJ to MT view and beyond. Once you get past that view, you get another view of a valley that is between the park and Stevens Res(cant see the water). Then there's an even steeper hill going down the back side that can not be denied as BAD AZZ for our trucks. Real test of drag brake set-up for sure! I made it! You can see trails going on for days(probably could drive all the way to SC Res?) I decided to pull a 180 and try my luck at climbing the beast I drove down. I didn't make it but I know I could with specific tires. I have yet to drive on a more "scale" looking trail for our sized rigs. That hill is narrow and rutted and a total blast!!! I looked for the new camera we have that does the HD videos before I left but shamefully, I could not find it.

Even if you decide not to set foot on that hiking trail, there are litterally rock structures and hills everywhere! The man made creek thingy was my favorite part as far as Crawling(in the video you saw of the FJ40). The faux waterfall rules! Rattlesnake almost got me in there though....Watch where you roll into!

Opps! I don't know how to write short posts...Sorry!

JB
Old 06-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Hey JB,

Isn't the trail blocked by a gate? Well... perhaps it opens during summer that I didn't pay attention.

DT
There is definitely no gate where I went up. If you are at the upper play area that is near and above where the parking area is, the start of the trail is that entire hill side that is all rutted. Does not look much like a trail at first....Just start climbing the hill and it will continue to a wide trail and then get narrower and narrower(all pretty steep uphill climbing)...I also stayed to the left most obvious trails that went up. There are a few rights that level off and go..?? You will see a "pit" full of spent beer cans...go past that and stay left. You will have some killer little scale-like, white/light-colored dirt hills(almost looks out of place), then you will be looking out over the back side. Keep following the trail that stays level until you see a new house across the valley. The gnarly hill will be just ahead and also the same out-of-place looking white sandy looking stuff. I still have that stuff all over my sandals. Make sure to wear shoes with good traction....Like I said, I somehow made it down without killing my WK. Coming back up is a super-challenge! My flatirons were working overtime and failed at pulling my truck up the entire incline. I did drive a few other little trails back there (one to the left that also goes back up, but off camber and toward the East). That trail has a section that is way to powdery to make it up...Toward the house across the valley, you will see more trails(South). To the West are a ton more trails that look like you could drive all the way to ST Res...

K, enough writing. If anyone is up to trying this, I am willing to go all the way! After all, I got into this because I can't support a 1:1 anymore. This is the closest thing to that feeling and great excercise! This stuff makes me feel like a kid again.

JB
Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Hey just an FYI, I plan on making a night run up Mini hammers this week. Who's up for it?
Old 06-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #70
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
Hey just an FYI, I plan on making a night run up Mini hammers this week. Who's up for it?
im up for it,I have mon - weds off
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

My rigs apart getting its new frame...If I can get everything back together by Monday night it would be a miracle. I have a roller minus the drivelines at this point. I will need to do some serious testing before the scale team comp to see if I like the performance and all. If the timing is correct, I would like to go....

JB
Old 06-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

probably looking at wednsday. One guy is waiting for a light kit to come in. So lets plan for wednsday. Bring a headlamp for yourself, there's a ton of loss rocks to twist an ankle on.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:41 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

I got my lights in and working, plus added some wheel weights to help in ascending. The moon is going to be close to full in case you don't have lights.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #74
Rock Stacker

Where is mini hammer? Do you have a google link?

Thanks

DT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
probably looking at wednsday. One guy is waiting for a light kit to come in. So lets plan for wednsday. Bring a headlamp for yourself, there's a ton of loss rocks to twist an ankle on.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterDDT View Post
Where is mini hammer? Do you have a google link?

Thanks

DT
Mini hammers google link
Old 06-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #76
Rock Stacker

Thanks! What time will you guys going? I may be able to join.

thx

DT

Quote:
Old 06-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #77
Quarry Creeper

I saw Rckjeep today at the LHS...He said that 8:30 would be the starting time. You should still keep tabs on the thread in case all that changes...

Peace,

JB
Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I saw Rckjeep today at the LHS...He said that 8:30 would be the starting time. You should still keep tabs on the thread in case all that changes...

Peace,

JB
when do you want to come get those tires?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #79
Rock Stacker

Dave
cant make it tonight + need to work on the rig
tacodab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #80
Rock Stacker

By the way, do you guys consider my CR-01 FJ40 a scaler? I saw the pictures of the rigs from you guys are all pretty die hard scalers. All look super cool.

DT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterDDT View Post
Thanks! What time will you guys going? I may be able to join.

thx

DT