Anyone have a vxl esc?

G.S.R.C.C.
KBess1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #4982
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Sacramento Scaler GTG/Comps

any of you guys good at soldering?

last week i got a rig off Mike (nissandriver) and it had Traxxas connector on the XL-5 ESC. Cut it off since all my batteries run Deans, and tried my best to get a male plug on there -- but my crappy soldering skills and even crappier soldering iron just isn't cutting it for some reason this time. i'm having trouble getting solder to stick to the super-fine stranded wire. to the Deans tabs, i don't seem to have a problem, just on the wire strands from what it looks like visually. perhaps i'm just missing some crucial step?

my soldering setup is just a simple $10 iron i've had for years - prep the tip by sanding, wet sponge, then tin the tip, then try to solder. dunno exactly what my solder is, some lead-free silver solder dunno the ratios, think i got it at RadioShack a few years ago. do i need to get some sort of flux to make it stick to this super-fine stranded wire?

i THOUGHT i had it on real good, but when hooking up the battery i don't hear that faint arcing-sound that i always get when the circuit closes/battery plugged in - telling me there isn't a full connection...well, that and the fact it doesn't work. temporarily, i'm using an axial ESC but I'd like to get the Traxxas one up and running.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #4983
Rock Crawler

are you tinning the wire and plug tab before putting together?

i use 60/40 rosin core solder from Ace hardware with no issues. it has a low melting point.
sumquak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #4984
Quarry Creeper

I use the$12 ace hardware iron. Put a load flux on both then use the rosin core. Now put some solder on the wire and the plug. More on the wire. Now all you have to do is melt the 2 together

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
BentMetaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #4985
Quarry Creeper

Im kinda like phat2011. I use the all in one solder...blob a little on both ends and melt them together...after they are a unit Ill smooth out for a cleaner weld!

G.S.R.C.C.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #4986
Rock Crawler

Ok perhaps I'll try some different solder and flux. I've never had issues before with the things i worked on before, but looking at this particular connection the stranded wire doesn't like to wick up the solder, I can still see individual strands where there should be flow in between. Ive never used flux with soldering electronics before but will try it out and will get some new solder too - done hundreds of copper pipe connections but electronic soldering only a dozen or so times. If I can't get it I might be coming to one of you guys or just take it to the shop when I pick up some other stuff. Thanks

Oh btw - finally won a giveaway (supershafty bomb proof wraith outputs)! RCC star already paid for itself with the knowledge, but now it really paid back. If you don't have a star yet, holiday season is coming up...
Old 10-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #4987
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post
Ok perhaps I'll try some different solder and flux. I've never had issues before with the things i worked on before, but looking at this particular connection the stranded wire doesn't like to wick up the solder, I can still see individual strands where there should be flow in between. Ive never used flux with soldering electronics before but will try it out and will get some new solder too - done hundreds of copper pipe connections but electronic soldering only a dozen or so times. If I can't get it I might be coming to one of you guys or just take it to the shop when I pick up some other stuff. Thanks

Oh btw - finally won a giveaway (supershafty bomb proof wraith outputs)! RCC star already paid for itself with the knowledge, but now it really paid back. If you don't have a star yet, holiday season is coming up...
If you still need help soldering I wouldn't mind doing it for you. Let me know
nissan_driver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #4988
Rock Crawler

thanks, i'll let you know
Old 10-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #4989
RCC Addict

Event #1 is posted up 2013-2014 ROCK HARD SCALER SERIES Event #1
JRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #4990
Pebble Pounder

Would that be nice to have an indoor "scale" friendly crawling track here in Sac..? I came into this crawling addiction a bit late..LOL
xxx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #4991
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx123 View Post
Would that be nice to have an indoor "scale" friendly crawling track here in Sac..? I came into this crawling addiction a bit late..LOL
That would be awesome! Cody has a pretty sweet setup in his basement.

G.S.R.C.C.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #4992

Quote:
LSR speedway is starting to put in another course inside the building, right now it is good for testing, but the plan is to make it much larger. That way there will be a nice place to go when the "R" word comes.
BCrumB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #4993
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCrumB4 View Post
LSR speedway is starting to put in another course inside the building, right now it is good for testing, but the plan is to make it much larger. That way there will be a nice place to go when the "R" word comes.
I saw it last week. Hope this time you guys will keep it a bit longer. And, hope it will be scale friendly... LOL

Thanks
Old 10-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #4994
Rock Stacker

Indoor course would be awesome!!!!
M.yaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #4995

Quote:
I saw it last week. Hope this time you guys will keep it a bit longer. And, hope it will be scale friendly... LOL

Thanks
I'm sure it will be scale friendly as most of us are more into the scale rigs. Our goal is to expand it to that whole area there between the track and the hobby shop.. should be a nice good size. Wished I had gotten into it when we had the other big course in there with the 2 ponds and fish. I don't think we will get it that big, but will be a nice spot for the winter months.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #4996
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Thanks
Think Cap City-----Battle of the Egos
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #4997

No Cap City!!!!!! We are just a nice chill place.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #4998
Pebble Pounder

Brian I can stop by for test n tune if you or Heather or Scott can waive my entrance fee. Of course for test and tune for the crawling track only. Just Pm me. Enrique has a 2.2 wraith. I have a Dingo.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #4999
Quarry Creeper

Yeah the last joint in lsr was pretty brutal. But hope there'll still be some hard stuff for us creepy crawlies.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #5000
Quarry Creeper

Changed my user name from PHAT2011 to BentMetaL. I like this one better.
BentMetaL is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/california/263495-sacramento-scaler-gtg-comps.html
Posted By For Type Date
Sacramento Scaler GTG/Comps - Page 84 - RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 10-04-2011 03:34 PM