Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > California

Notices

Thread: Sacramento Scaler GTG/Comps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #821
Rock Stacker

Really I did that well no way I thought other people were doing better than me I can't wait to hear the results
Tom_Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #822
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke&Mirrors View Post
I will be out there tomorrow. I'll be in a green Jeep driving the little scale green Jeeps. Probably be out around 10 or 11 at the Point.
I would love to meet out there with you guys. I have never been to Folsom Point where do you guys normally run ur scalers?
nissan_driver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #823

Just come on out! I'm about to head out now. If you are taking 50 east to S Lake Tahoe get off at the prairie city exit. Turn right on blue ravine rd (second right), follow that down for a few miles till it hits east natomas road. Turn left and then the park kiosk should be your first right toward the shore line. I think its about a $10 fee for a day pass. I might even end up heading out to dottons point on the other side of the lake later in the day too. Keep an eye out, you know what rc people look like from a distance...boys playing with toys. See you there.

Last edited by Smoke&Mirrors; 01-16-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Smoke&Mirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #824
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan_driver24 View Post
I would love to meet out there with you guys. I have never been to Folsom Point where do you guys normally run ur scalers?
Normally guys will meet up at the taco bell at the corner of blue ravine/green valley and e natoma. Google folsom point, folsom ca and you will see FP and look bottom right and you'll see taco bell. Large parking lot. If your not meeting anyone just go in through the pay shack and stay to the right all the way til you see water IMO FP is so far the best scale area in the Sac area. Oak point is cool as well but once you hit FP
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #825
Rock Crawler

Oh boy, I am beat this morning. I feel like I've been hit by a truck. Yesterday was a blast! 10 times better than i would have anticipated. Thanks Martin so much for hangin' in there with me and my repairs! I was trying to be quick, as we were literally burning daylight! This is a real great reason to get in shape, I'm hooked!
I blew the center gear in the tranny, tore down and replaced halfway through course 2, repaired on course, found out I blew a cvd, so I ended up driving to the finish in 3 wheel drive. Dropped a steering linkage and rear driveshaft on course 3, both repaired on trail. 200 gates over the entire course! It was nuts!
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #826
Rock Crawler

I'm gonna be heading out in the next few mins hope to see you guys there!
nissan_driver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #827
RCC Addict

Any pics of the G6 challenge?
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #828
I wanna be Dave

I am in full G-recovery today! What a blast. I just got back from a final walk and clean up of the park. No trash left by any of us, but we left some gates last nite, on purpose, we finally left the park @ 2000hrs.

It was awesome meeting new drivers, I came home and told the wife that I just met 4 cats from Nor-Cal that are new friends and no longer G-Virgins.

I'm working on times, Spucknit built a new workbook and I'm transloading data.

Great day, great people, great driving, and I'm ready for the next G6.

Thank you all for making the trip and the kind words, see you at Folsom.
DRIVNMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #829
RCC Addict

BTW Chris we did course 2 3 1 so I'll change them for you below And also thanks for giving me the definition of your screen name too

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennib View Post
Oh boy, I am beat this morning. I feel like I've been hit by a truck. Yesterday was a blast! 10 times better than i would have anticipated. Thanks Martin so much for hangin' in there with me and my repairs! I was trying to be quick, as we were literally burning daylight! This is a real great reason to get in shape, I'm hooked!
I blew the center gear in the tranny, tore down and replaced halfway through course 3, repaired on course, found out I blew a cvd, so I ended up driving to the finish in 3 wheel drive. Dropped a steering linkage and rear driveshaft on course 1, both repaired on trail. 200 gates over the entire course! It was nuts!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #830
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishline View Post
Any pics of the G6 challenge?
Hey James, Some guys had cameras out but for me I only took a few pics of Chris's in the water because as you will see @ folsom, if you drive and judge your not going to get a chance to take pic's walking 400 gates
Old 01-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #831
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
BTW Chris we did course 2 3 1 so I'll change them for you below And also thanks for giving me the definition of your screen name too
Thanks, I'm still a little brain damaged from yesterday, I bet the woman at the ag inspection station probably thought I was stoned.
Yeah, my screenname is starting to have a ring of truth in it. Might want to think twice before you pick me as your stage buddy.
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #832
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVNMF View Post
I am in full G-recovery today! What a blast. I just got back from a final walk and clean up of the park. No trash left by any of us, but we left some gates last nite, on purpose, we finally left the park @ 2000hrs.

It was awesome meeting new drivers, I came home and told the wife that I just met 4 cats from Nor-Cal that are new friends and no longer G-Virgins.

I'm working on times, Spucknit built a new workbook and I'm transloading data.

Great day, great people, great driving, and I'm ready for the next G6.

Thank you all for making the trip and the kind words, see you at Folsom.

Hey Parker to you and your crew. After doing my first G6 and seeing how had you guys worked LMK if you want help @ folsom. Depending on which side I'm 5 min to Folsom Point and will help do what ever! Martin
Old 01-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #833
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennib View Post
Thanks, I'm still a little brain damaged from yesterday, I bet the woman at the ag inspection station probably thought I was stoned.
Yeah, my screenname is starting to have a ring of truth in it. Might want to think twice before you pick me as your stage buddy.
Haha, to be honest it actually wasn't too bad. Started me thinking of taking my rig apart for a full maintenance before the 29th. I've never run any rig @ full throttle for that amount of time before Going to switch to 35t 3s Or keep it the same with less chance of carnage
Old 01-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #834
RCC Addict

Sneak peek at my next rig http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...=1#post2864716 Well I've got a few that I need to finish and needed to loan Chris some axle parts yesterday off this builds chassis
Old 01-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #835
Rock Stacker

Martin I personally feel that my 45t and my 2cell lipo was a brisk walk at full speed and I can't imagine wanting to try and run from gate to gate trying to follow my rc.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #836
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Swanson View Post
Martin I personally feel that my 45t and my 2cell lipo was a brisk walk at full speed and I can't imagine wanting to try and run from gate to gate trying to follow my rc.
That's what I ran yesterday and it felt like I had a comp crawler compared to everyone else's rigs yesterday Maybe I'll bump the pinion up a few teeth and 3s to see how that goes. But I've got a 35t in my ftoy I can pull out too. One nice thing on course 2 was I ran the truck full across the field while running down the hill
Old 01-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #837
Rock Stacker

I was thinking that a 35 t would help me but honestly if you have to much wheel spin in loose dirt you really don't move. Something I noticed by watching my dad run and myself run is that my tires really hooked up well. I mean my dads tires worked really well for traction but mine seemed to do just a little bit better and a little taller.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #838
I wanna be Dave

The R.E.C.O.N. G6 “Erzberg” brought out the heat yesterday and aptly so, since this G6 was held at Spice Island. The sun came out and warmed everything up. Some of the drivers burned up the stages, while others cooled off their trucks in the Truckee River and no, the name of the river had nothing to do with why trucks ended up in it…or does it? The Sparks PD showed up and brought the nervous heat as Chasinbaja dove into the skunk den until the cost was clear. Spucknit brought the heat with his killer chilli. He must be watching Food TV because he added steak to it. I know I heard several drivers comments and requesting naps.

I was stoked to see a large turn out by the Sacramento Scaler Nation. Tom, Chris, Sam, Martin, and the G-Vet himself, John Hallman, came to Spice Island to test their scalers capability and their driving ability. It was an honor to meet everyone and I can’t wait to share more G6 time with everyone.

This G6 featured a stage, stage 2 Erzberg, that was watchable by all. The stage featured hill climbs, mud, side hill, mud, tire crossings and more mud. There was passing and an amazing downhill double step jump that some drivers leaped; while others drove cautiously. One of the coolest stages that everyone got to watch and it also required some navigational skills to my surprise.

Stage 1 was an adventure that took G sixers on a 100 gate excapade. The time bonus required a driver to use their tow strap to pull a log up a sandy hill. A full pull netted the driver a time bonus and with a first come, first serve basis on the logs, it was important to get there early. Stage 1 also featured a very cool river section that had drivers navigating 3 gates 20 feet from the bank, but only tire deep in some areas.

Stage 3 was by far the most technical stage of the day. The 50 gate stage was big on special skills challenges. One the special skills challenges was 100 to 150 feet long in which a driver had to drive from behind a railing. If a driver had to recover their rig, it cost them a 5 min boundary penalty and some an additional judges winch penalty. There was a belly dragger section that the driver had to climb over a configuration of parking curbs. Another special skills challenge was an uphill muddy run that was very narrow. There was no room to go left or right, the drivers had to drive in the ruts of previous drivers, but the most entertaining special skills challenge had to be the self-recovery challenge.

The self-recovery skill section had drivers backing down an extremely steep bank of the Truckee River. The river was flowing swiftly and any mistake by a driver would have been costly and it was for one driver; more on that in a moment. After a driver backed down far enough to enter the skill section, they had to use the self recovery winch that was anchored at the top of the hill. So once a driver had the winch hooked up to their truck, they had to operate the recovery winch and drive their truck through a gate and to the top of the hill. Watching the different self recovery techniques was awesome! Now, back to the one driver, young Cole Bailey, who was in the middle of his self-recovery when the 80lb test winch rope broke and sent him diving down the hill to stop the scale Land Rover from becoming trout transportation. I have always said Cole Bailey is the future of r/c crawling and being just 2 gates away from finishing stage 3, he knew that the “hand of God” that saved his rig, just cost him a DNF. This, however, did not ruin his day, he manned up and went on to run stage 3 in the dark with his stage buddy, John Hallman.

This RECON G6 lived up to the expectation and besides a late start due to frozen ground, the day was enjoy by the drivers, their families, and quite of few passerby’s. I think the only complaints we had was from the cyclists dodging scalers on the tarmac. I need a loud horn on my scaler so I can honk at those damn roadies like I do in my 1:1.

The G6 is a full bodied experience. I am tore up from the floor up, mentally, physically, and spiritually, but I woke up ready to do it all over again. Driving a skills section or completing a time bonus, or just surviving a technical stage section that makes you sweat provusly and losing your sense of hearing from concentrating really is what makes the G6 a must have experience. This experience does not come with some hard work and with friends like Stuart G., Brad and Cole Bailey, and John Hallman a G6 comes to life. I could never do it alone, nor would I try, the set up experience brings all of us a great sense of pride and we do it for the love of scale r/c, the joy a G6 brings to other drivers, and because we all are a little crazy.

Thanks to all the drivers, stage buddies, and our G-Sponsors, Axial Racing, Vanquish Products, and Pit Bull Tires.

Congratulations to the podium finishers and to John Jackson. Jonathon received his very first and hopefully his last G-Degree, because a bad day at the G6 is better than being peed on! Better luck next time to Team Action Jackson. Time is not a factor in the G6, because the G6 is not a race, it’s an adventure with a time limit. Sure, there were drivers who blazed thru a stage, but their time penalties ruined any chance of a G6 stage win or overall. Driving smart and remembering that the tortoise beat the hare seemed to work for this G6’er and I’m stoked to have finished where I did with all the scale talent that competed at this G6.

Here are the results and see everyone at the RECON G6 “Folsom G6 Blues” in Sacramento.

Attachments:
RECON Erzberg.JPG [ 121.38 KiB | Not viewed yet ]

oops, let me try this.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #839
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Swanson View Post
I was thinking that a 35 t would help me but honestly if you have to much wheel spin in loose dirt you really don't move. Something I noticed by watching my dad run and myself run is that my tires really hooked up well. I mean my dads tires worked really well for traction but mine seemed to do just a little bit better and a little taller.

Congratulations Tom on a podium finish and I will be bringing your G-Trophey to Folsom for you.

I agree, I was very impressed with your tires, but could not help to think what a set of 1.9 Pit Bulls could do.

I can't wait to see ya'll in Folsom.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #840
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
Hey Parker to you and your crew. After doing my first G6 and seeing how had you guys worked LMK if you want help @ folsom. Depending on which side I'm 5 min to Folsom Point and will help do what ever! Martin

I would love it!

Thank you on behalf of the crew, but to be honest with you, I really don't do much but give them a hard time. I am suprised none of them have been committed yet or had me committed!

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/california/263495-sacramento-scaler-gtg-comps.html
Posted By For Type Date
Sacramento Scaler GTG/Comps - Page 84 - RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 10-04-2011 03:34 PM