Notices

Thread: R.C.O.T.C Rules & Guidelines 2012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default R.C.O.T.C Rules & Guidelines 2012

RC Overland Team Challenge (RCOTC)

Rules & Guidelines:

No running allowed on the course unless section challenges require the team to run that specific section only.( A slow jog or fast walking to keep up with the vehicle is not considered running.) Running the course out side of these challenge sections will result in a DNF for that team. (There is absolutely NO penalty for reversing, passing or self recovery in the Overland Challenge). This is a challenge not a foot race and we want it to be a safe experience for everyone.

Drivers: (Will be allowed to catch their rigs in the event to avoid excessive damage or total loss. A 10 minute Hand of God penalty will be issued by the Trail Bossing Team.) This can never be used as strategic move on course or as a way to cross the finish line during a RCOTC event. All finishing vehicles must cross the finish line under their own power, being towed by a team mate or other competitor.

Judging System & Race Format:

2 teams at a time leave the starting line 3 minutes apart. They will be followed by their paired Trail Boss team on foot. The Trail Boss team is exactly what it sounds like. Each team is paired up randomly with another team. When one team is running the other team is judging / trail bossing. Another option for the Trail Bossing team is to have one team mate in the pits and one team mate in the field judging the paired team. This is a timed event. Best time with the least penalties and the most progression points wins.

Mandatory Event Items:

1.Tow strap
2.Spare tire
3.Winch * 1 out of 2 vehicles in the team MUST have a winch.*
4.Pull Pal and / or ground anchor.

Vehicle Specs: ( Scale Rigs Only )

Frame rail or custom tube chassis only (No Comp Chassis)

Max wheelbase: 13"
Max track width: 10.5"
(Topless vehicles must have a basic interior.)
4 wheel steering: yes
Dig units: yes
Under & Over gearing: yes

Frame rail or custom tube chassis only (No Comp Chassis)

Max wheelbase: 14"
Max track width: 14"
(Topless vehicles must have a basic interior.)
4 wheel steering: yes
Dig units: yes
Under & Over gearing: yes

Winching Guidelines:

All natural anchors or recovery gear:

Ground anchors will be set when natural anchors or recovery gear are not possible or available. PullPal or self recovery anchors mandatory. All recovery gear must be carried on the vehicle at all times when not in use of recovery. NO HAND OF GOD except when there is no other choice in excessive damage or total loss your vehicle. NO SHOE LACE WINCHING, NO JUDGE WINCH ALLOWED. There is no penalty for self recovery in the RCOTC.

Not following these winching guidelines will result in a ( DNF ) penalty for that team.

Ground Anchors include:

PullPals, custom ground anchors of all sorts, screw drivers, hex drivers, fishing hooks, custom winch hooks….etc.. All anchors and recovery gear must be carried on the vehicle at all times when not in use of recovery.

Applied Ground Anchor Pressure:

Pressure by hand is only allowed to secure the ground anchor when a natural or set ground anchor is not available or enough to hold and there is no “crack in the rock” or a team mate vehicle is not heavy enough. A team vehicle can always be used as a ground anchor and may have pressure applied to it in order to support a team vehicles weight during recovery. One of the team or another competitor vehicle can also park on the said ground anchor in order to secure it.
Please try to avoid these methods at all times in order to keep the scale realism of this event. Blatant miss use of this courtesy can result in a DNF if called by the trail boss. Final decision will be made by RCOTC staff if any dispute in the call.

Trail Marker Guidelines: ( TM )

100 - 300 TM per course:
Red flags are always on the right / passenger side of progressing vehicles showing the course direction at all times.
(No Reversing through the TM)

(Each Overland Challenge will be one large single course.)

All Trail Markers must be cleared by both vehicles of the team. A team member should not progress further than 2 TM ahead with out their team mate. This will result in a 2 min TM penalty All 4 tires of each vehicle must clear past the TM. Gates are not open. ( PENALTY FOR TOUCHING OR REVERSING THROUGH THE TM 2 MINUTE ADD ON). Each vehicle in the team that touches the maker can only be penalized once per trail marker flag (4 min. per vehicle per TM). Just make it and clear the gate as a team. No straddling of gates.

This is a smart driving event your winch may be your last resort or it could be the only way....

TTC Section Guidelines: ( Team Trail Challenge ).

(No penalty for self recovery in the TTC boundaries).

TTC sections will be placed throughout the course randomly. These sections will test the individual driver skill and their rigs capability

No touching the TTC boundaries with the vehicles. = 3 min add on
No feet allowed in the TTC boundary areas = 3 min. add on

Team mate bumping is allowed in TTC sections.
Tow straps and winching allowed to assist progress.

Passing is allowed everywhere it is possible during an RCOTC event.

Last edited by DORK VADER; 04-11-2012 at 10:44 AM.
DORK VADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: R.C.O.T.C Rules & Guidelines 2012

R.C.O.T.C Score & Point System:

Guidelines:

Each driver course times and progression points will be kept as separate record from their team mates or paired solo drivers collected course times and progression points for the entire series even though they are collected as a team. This is for those who show up every time as a solo driver as well as the organized team that has a member out of commission and they use a fill in driver or lose their teammate in the middle of the season and have to be paired with a solo driver to finish the season. Keep in mind that your team mate may be your weakest or strongest link, so times and progression points will be affected differently on every course. Depending on how the day goes for those drivers, teamwork and the capability of the rigs. All course points will be collected as a team and recorded as individual drivers. (This goes for organized teams and partnered solo drivers). This may help you understand why an organized team is important for driver / team consistency. (Those who play together stay together).

The teams with the quickest course times, least amount of penalties, and the most progression points will determine the podium standings of each challenge. The teams or solo drivers that have completed the most events with the quickest course times, the least amount of penalties, and the most progression points of the series will determine who are the top teams / drivers of the series and who gets into the Series Championship at the end of the 6 events.

The top solo drivers will be randomly paired up with another top solo driver for the championship if they have not found a teammate by the end of the season on their own and registered said team with the RCOTC staff.

No Solo Driver Finishes:

Both vehicles in a team must cross the finish line as a team. No solo driver finishes, you leave as a team, you return as a team. This means towing your teammate or getting the rigs fixed and back on the trail under their own power to finish the course. If both vehicles in the team cannot progress any further on the course, they will DNF at the last point of progression / TM.

Trail Repair Guidelines:

Trail repairs are always allowed on course at all RCOTC events. (Vehicles should be pulled off to the side of the course for repairs). A driver can leave to get supplies while leaving a teammate with the vehicles on course if they wish to progress from the point of break down. If the damage is to extensive to fix on the trail and the vehicle/vehicles need to be removed from the course in order to be fixed, than the driver/drivers have the option to go “back to the shop”. Once the team is back under its own power they have to DRIVE their vehicles back to the point of the break down. The main course does not have to be followed and a faster more direct route that does not interfere with other drivers progression of the course is allowed and highly recommended.

The Last Chance Qualifier: (LCQ)

This will be for those teams and solo drivers that are just barely out of contention in the standings for a spot in the series championship. It will give a very small amount of drivers / teams that fought through all the challenges of the entire series a last chance invite to race against the top drivers one last time and possibility to take the championship race, but not the season.

Progression Points:

Each TM is considered a progression point of the course. For example,( if the course has 100 TM and a team or solo driver has finished the course, than each driver will receive 100 progression points for that event / course finish. This also applies to those drivers who only make it 50 TM, and have to leave the race. Whatever TM each driver makes it to if unable to progress any further or finish the course will be marked down on their score sheet as there final progression point of that course equaling 50 progression points for that driver and they will receive a set maximum course finish time for that event).

Course Time:

This is also a timed event. Teams will receive a set start time and will be racing against the clock as well as other teams. The clock will stop once the last team mate crosses the finish line. This affects the team and will be recorded as both drivers time for that course. Driver skill, trail knowledge, team work, trail penalties, and pure luck will determine a team’s overall finish time.

Course Penalties

1.Trail Marker : Vehicle hit / touch of TM = 2 min. penalty.
Reversing through TM is not allowed and should be marked as a 2 min TM penalty as well. (Red is always on the right).
Each TM hit / touch = 2 min add on to total course time. 4 min max. per driver / per TM. Each driver can only receive a penalty twice per TM. Winch lines do not count as a vehicle touch, a driver should not be penalized for his or her winch line touching the TM while in use or any other time. Remember, that each driver of a team has to clear each gate before progressing to the next. If a driver progresses through 2 TM with out there team mate it will count as a 2 min TM penalty and should be marked as a TM penalty on the score card. Bypassing a TM is not allowed and will result in a DNF.

2. Course Boundary: TTC ( Team Trail Challenge ) sections only. = 3 min penalty.
A vehicle touch to the ribbon or any boundary in a TTC section = 3 min add on to total course time. The driver’s feet must stay out of the boundary area at all times. This will also be treated as a boundary touch = 3 min add on as well. There is no limit to the amount of boundary penalties for each driver.( If the driver hits the TTC boundary 10 times then the score sheet gets marked 10 times in the proper location given on the sheet. Each mark equaling 3 min).

3. Hand Of God: (H.O.G) = 10 min penalty. ( THIS SHOULD BE A LAST RESORT ONLY )

This is only for that last resort to catch your vehicle before it is subjected to complete and total loss or destruction. This should not be used as common practice during a simple too bad roll over.. Each time this is used for each driver it will add 10 min every time. (The Hand Of God can never be used as a way to cross the finish line or as a strategic move during any RCOTC event).

4. D.N.F: ( Did Not Finish )

This is exactly what it sounds like. When a driver or drivers cannot complete the course they receive what is called a D.N.F. and mark down their last point of progression (TM). A TM section can never be bypassed. This action will result in a DNF for that driver and team. All winching guidelines must be followed or the Trail Boss has the power to suggest a DNF. The final say will be left up to RCOTC Staff if there is any dispute on the call. (Please follow the winching guidelines, this helps keep scale realism and competition).

(Remember to mark down the last TM progressed through. This is the drivers progression points. Don’t forget).

Last edited by DORK VADER; 01-29-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Please feel free to use this thread for all your rules & guideline questions.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Some drivers on the course sunday may have been confused on when the trail marker is dead. The trail marker is "live" until it is hit. Once you progress the markers and back into it, roll on it touch it in anyway that will result in a TM penalty. Once you hit that tm you won't get penalized for "that" tm again. The opposite tm is still live however. Please feel free to ask or pm either of us or come talk with us at any event we're at.

Sent from my new phone using tapatalk.
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

or how you cant be more than two gate's ahead of your team mate.
i saw a few team's getting to far ahead from the team mate's,when one would get stuck

Last edited by sloyota; 02-21-2012 at 10:26 AM.
sloyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Slower drivers or cautious drivers need to move out of the way if u have someone riding your tail. Its not about not letting people pass you, but to keep things moving along smoothly. Some people are more experienced, theres no need to hold back a driver that needs to pass you if your in the way.

Also at the bottle necking, there is no rule that says you cant go around the problem if possible, but be respectful and don't drive all over someones rig just to get by. Unless of course you get the green flag to leave tread on someones hood lol then the least thing to do is offer some help. Good sportsmanship baby!
crowninshield3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowninshield3 View Post
Slower drivers or cautious drivers need to move out of the way if u have someone riding your tail. Its not about not letting people pass you, but to keep things moving along smoothly. Some people are more experienced, theres no need to hold back a driver that needs to pass you if your in the way.

Also at the bottle necking, there is no rule that says you cant go around the problem if possible, but be respectful and don't drive all over someones rig just to get by. Unless of course you get the green flag to leave tread on someones hood lol then the least thing to do is offer some help. Good sportsmanship baby!
I agree with most of what you posted Dan, sportmanship is the name of the game here. But if a more"experienced" driver needs to pass me I will clear the path as quickly as I can,(without putting my rig in a bad position) or if he is really in that big of a hurry he can use some of that experience to get around cleanly. Whoa there Bill, this is starting to sound like a Touring Car thread.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
I agree with most of what you posted Dan, sportmanship is the name of the game here. But if a more"experienced" driver needs to pass me I will clear the path as quickly as I can,(without putting my rig in a bad position) or if he is really in that big of a hurry he can use some of that experience to get around cleanly. Whoa there Bill, this is starting to sound like a Touring Car thread.

Thats exactly what I was trying to get across though, errr need to learn how to talk on the interwebz HAHAHA thanks Bill for your input dont mean it to sound harsh lol

Just throwing out there some of the comments I heard from the lightning bolt drivers
Old 02-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowninshield3 View Post
Thats exactly what I was trying to get across though, errr need to learn how to talk on the interwebz HAHAHA thanks Bill for your input dont mean it to sound harsh lol

Just throwing out there some of the comments I heard from the lightning bolt drivers
Yeah I need to learn to talk on the interwebz myself. I knew what you were saying , but I keep having this mental picture of some guy flashing his passing lights at me from some big ole scaler.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
Yeah I need to learn to talk on the interwebz myself. I knew what you were saying , but I keep having this mental picture of some guy flashing his passing lights at me from some big ole scaler.
Note to self, must install functional flashers and maybe a key chain horn on hand for Bill
Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Yes, my phone has been going off today with more input. That is what we are looking for so everyone has a good time. We take what was brought to our attention and talk it over. I know we will NOT be able to please 100% but if we get 99% I'm happy Matt and I will go over some more input and bring it up at the next drivers meeting. If we leap as great from comp 1 to 2 we may be the s*it on planning and setting event's
Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyota View Post
or how you cant be more than two gate's ahead of your team mate.
i saw a few team's getting to far ahead from the team mate's,when one would get stuck

Yes, that was at our first drivers meeting but I guess we missed it this time. TEAM event. I think it's in the rules too. I'll have to read it again

All Trail Markers must be cleared by both vehicles before any team member can progress. All 4 tires of each vehicle must clear past the TM. Gates are not open. ( PENALTY FOR TOUCHING OR REVERSING THROUGH THE TM 2 MINUTE ADD ON). Each vehicle in the team that touches the maker can only be penalized twice per trail marker flag (4 min. per vehicle per TM). Just make it and clear the gate as a team. No straddling of gates.

Last edited by fvrr; 02-21-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
Yes, that was at our first drivers meeting but I guess we missed it this time. TEAM event. I think it's in the rules too. I'll have to read it again

All Trail Markers must be cleared by both vehicles before any team member can progress. All 4 tires of each vehicle must clear past the TM. Gates are not open. (PENALTY FOR TOUCHING OR REVERSING THROUGH THE TM 2 MINUTE ADD ON). Each vehicle in the team that touches the maker can only be penalized twice per trail marker flag (4 min. per vehicle per TM). Just make it and clear the gate as a team. No straddling of gates.

Sorry Martin, had it missed typed. I already went ahead and fixed the rule sheet / thread.

All Trail Markers must be cleared by both vehicles before any team member can progress. All 4 tires of each vehicle must clear past the TM. Gates are not open. (PENALTY FOR TOUCHING OR REVERSING THROUGH THE TM 2 MINUTE ADD ON). Each vehicle in the team that touches the maker can only be penalized ONCE per trail marker flag (4 min. per vehicle per TM). Just make it and clear the gate as a team. No straddling of gates. No bypassing a TM.

R.C.O.T.C Rules & Guidelines 2012 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 2012 G6 guidelines and Rules DwaneO New Mexico 7 01-30-2012 07:14 AM
2012 national rules????? airdreams1 General Crawlers 0 12-19-2011 05:05 PM