Notices

Thread: Bay Area Crawl Spots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2020, 11:41 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bay Area Crawl Spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Another nOOb here. Been doing the "go-fast" thing (2WD & 4WD off-road racing), and decided I should also learn to "slow down". Have an Axial Capra being delivered on Monday (was supposed to be delivered today, but UPS 'rescheduled' on me). Figured that should be a great way to start (I much prefer kits over RTRs).

Goal is 60-80% "rock racing", and 25-40% rock/trail crawling. Have the ESC decided (CC Mamba X), and narrowed down motor choices to my final two - ROC412, or HH PP. Still need to decide tires, and whether to stick with the included wheels, or get different wheels. In that wheel matter, if I'm better off getting something different, should I stick with plastic, or get aluminum?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
welcome
I have been to : bean, linda vista, genetech, Serra park, mini hammers, Monterey to name a few. not sure though where would be good for rock racing. linda vista has some rock an dirt areas, but its small, Serra park in sunnyvale near 280 has a dry man made rock creek about 200 yards worth, easy to get to . . Genetech has the most rocks and little amount of open ground areas. but it my favorite for crawling.
Rubicon and Fordyce would be awesome places for rock racing.

regarding your questions, it comes down to how money are you willing to spend.
wheels, plastic or aluminum. aluminum offers more choices and options on beadlocks, where most plastic you will have to glue on tires and then cut them off. I did plastic at first but immediately went aluminum.
Motors, HH for sure. quality, performance, service,
tires, not sure what the new top 3 are, but getting the best tire will provide the best capability and enjoyment of your crawling.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2020, 11:54 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
welcome

I have been to : bean, linda vista, genetech, Serra park, mini hammers, Monterey to name a few. not sure though where would be good for rock racing. linda vista has some rock an dirt areas, but its small, Serra park in sunnyvale near 280 has a dry man made rock creek about 200 yards worth, easy to get to . . Genetech has the most rocks and little amount of open ground areas. but it my favorite for crawling.

Rubicon and Fordyce would be awesome places for rock racing.

regarding your questions, it comes down to how money are you willing to spend.

wheels, plastic or aluminum. aluminum offers more choices and options on beadlocks, where most plastic you will have to glue on tires and then cut them off. I did plastic at first but immediately went aluminum.

Motors, HH for sure. quality, performance, service,

tires, not sure what the new top 3 are, but getting the best tire will provide the best capability and enjoyment of your crawling.
Thanks for the reply...tho, gotta say, I've come a long way since posting that question. I've now got 2 Capra (Capri?)...one with a Star Wars/Stormtrooper theme (called "The Imperial Goat), the other a Class 3 rig (with Black Panther as the driver) called CAPbRAstard. Also have a mostly-built Trail King Pro, and a soon-to-be-started TF2 (plus, I just bought a Losi Baja Rey Mint 400 Limited Edition a few days ago). These are in addition to my off-road & on-road race vehicles (NorCal), and a few Traxxas vehicles.

Btw, just read your thread for the new Cupertino spot you found. I don't know the place, but I do know the area. If you could post a photo from Google Maps, meeting where, specifically, your taking about (say, with red X's), that'll help people find it...and, as soon as I'm back from Vegas (late Sunday morning, or early afternoon), I'd go to check it out.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:04 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
Anyone still crawling at Linda Vista in Cupertino?
Welcome crawler.
been there 2 times, it gets boring quick.
if you want 200 yards of rock creek, try Serra park in sunnyvale under the Redwoods. 10 min from linda. electrical outlets at picnic benches, publi park, no ranger or gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_thomas View Post
I’m new to crawling and live in SJ. I keep looking for places close to home. Is Linda vista a good place to crawl? Is that the park you speak of?
Hi, Welcome to crawling.
Im in sunnyvale. see my anwser above.
the Bean and Genetech is awesome! definetly no shortage of crawling.
Im next to Serra park, enjoy all the variety of rocks.

when this Covid-19 is over with, let me know when you plan to crawl.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:08 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Photos of Serra Park
I spent 1 hr on a 1500 lips pack which was maybe half the area

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 04-02-2020 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:09 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Thanks for the reply...tho, gotta say, I've come a long way since posting that question. I've now got 2 Capra (Capri?)...one with a Star Wars/Stormtrooper theme (called "The Imperial Goat), the other a Class 3 rig (with Black Panther as the driver) called CAPbRAstard. Also have a mostly-built Trail King Pro, and a soon-to-be-started TF2 (plus, I just bought a Losi Baja Rey Mint 400 Limited Edition a few days ago). These are in addition to my off-road & on-road race vehicles (NorCal), and a few Traxxas vehicles.

Btw, just read your thread for the new Cupertino spot you found. I don't know the place, but I do know the area. If you could post a photo from Google Maps, meeting where, specifically, your taking about (say, with red X's), that'll help people find it...and, as soon as I'm back from Vegas (late Sunday morning, or early afternoon), I'd go to check it out.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
I'll work on getting pics,
Serra Park. 730 The Dalles Ave, Sunnyvale, CA 94085
Near Hwy 85/280
Found this a few yrs ago.
Just park and walk to redwoods
https://www.yelp.com/biz/serra-park-sunnyvale

The great benefit here among the other crawl spots:
Easy to drive to, lots of parking, close to food
shortest walk to reach, plenty of shade, clean bathrooms,
The rock features was built for water feature but the water feature has been dry for over 5 yrs. Over 250 yards of rocks
picnic benches, with power outlet !
mild spots for scalers, 2.2, and even challenges for MOA.

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 04-13-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
I'll work on getting pics,
Serra Park. 730 The Dalles Ave, Sunnyvale, CA 94085
Near Hwy 85/280
Found this a few yrs ago.
Just park and walk to redwoods
https://www.yelp.com/biz/serra-park-sunnyvale

The great benefit here among the other crawl spots:
Easy to drive to, lots of parking, close to food
shortest walk to reach, plenty of shade, clean bathrooms,
The rock features was built for water feature but the water feature has been dry for over 5 yrs. Over 250 yards of rocks
picnic benches, with power outlet !
mild spots for scalers, 2.2, and even challenges for MOA.
That would be great. I'd it weren't for the Linda Vista Park photos, I probably wouldn't have found the correct spots there. Could definitely use the same for Serra Park.

Now, I'm also looking for good spots to take my new FE boat. I know Sprekels Lake in Golden Gate Park (known about that for 40+ years), and I know the spot in Cupertino, between Dell Ave & Hwy 17, but looking for others.

Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:37 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs down Re: Bay Area Crawl Spots

1st pic, spot closest to tennis courts

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 04-13-2020 at 11:04 PM.

Bay Area Crawl Spots - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SF south bay crawl spots crawlitreal California 142 03-26-2021 03:54 PM
crawl spots in folsom area ovcrwlr California 0 05-07-2012 09:10 AM
east bay crawl spots wcdfmt510 California 5 11-09-2011 07:03 PM
Bay Area Crawl spots badger California 7 11-28-2005 02:13 PM
Bay Area crawl!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lukedog California 20 03-04-2005 07:17 PM