Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > California

Notices

Thread: Sac Area Crawlers May 12

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Sac Area Crawlers May 12

Sacramento, CA group Get Together

Fun on the the rocks. Everyone is welcome!

The location has been decided. The American River Confluence, near Auburn, where the North and Middle Fork come together. We will park on the Cool side of the hwy 49 bridge to Cool. (The first turnout near the gate) To get to the rocks, cross the road and find the steep trail down towards the river. (The trail is narrow and steep)

VIDEO of Location

More info to follow...

Last edited by 1tom2go; 05-08-2007 at 06:23 PM.
1tom2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Cool! I will be able to go again.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

First, I went out and took a look at the confluence of th middle and north fork of the American river today. I got video and pics of it. It was fun, but it doesn't have some of the good things that Folsom has.

Pros and Cons

Folsom: Close restrooms, vehicle's are close and easy to work in and charge bats, decent rocks and plenty of them, nice grassy area for chillin', The bad part is that is the only place we have met for gtg's.

Confluence: Outhouses a quarter mile away, vehicles are up the hill from the spot across a busy road, lots of tough and fun rocks, NO BBQ or nice chillin area near vehicles. It is a place where you charge your batteries at home, unless you have to.

Second, unless you all have another idea, we need to decide between Beals Point or this new spot.

video link: 1tom2go Raw

PARKING

View from accross the river:

The rocks
Old 04-23-2007, 12:09 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Man, I have grown used to the amenities of Folsom Lake... The Confluence has some nice looking rocks and your video was cool, but I know a lot of us (me included) need to charge their packs after we go through them to make a day of things. Hmm... I hope to maybe go to some of the other beaches out at Folsom to see if there are any other good spots. I also want to check out Nimbus lake by the fish hatchery...
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:16 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. Good feedback trikster.

If you look at the second picture, there are some cars up top. That is where you will park.

The battery thing is not an issue for me, but some it is. You can charge you batteries at the confluence, but it will just be a little more of a hastle, that's all.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
RCC Addict

there is also another place to park there near the other bridge Tom. instead of going right and parking where oyu parked. go straight and park on either side of that bridge. it might be less of a walk also.
I have been down where you went so many times and I so forgot that it was that nice, sorry I could'nt make it. looks like you beat the rain.

also , it couldn't be any worse than the Bean where you bring like 6 batteries for trail riding. or you have to hoof up to the car.

Last edited by rockhugger; 04-23-2007 at 01:06 AM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:23 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
there is also another place to park there near the other bridge Tom. instead of going right and parking where oyu parked. go straight and park on either side of that bridge. it might be less of a walk also.
I have been down where you went so many times and I so forgot that it was that nice, sorry I could'nt make it. looks like you beat the rain.

also , it couldn't be any worse than the Bean where you bring like 6 batteries for trail riding. or you have to hoof up to the car.
Yeah, but are you going to swim across the river? This is the bridge that goes to Cool. The spot is just below it. It would be just like the Bean as far as car location, but a bit better.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #8

If I can make it, I vote for the "new spot" by the river. It looks like alot of fun and very natural besides just a retaining wall. My 2 cents.
mike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Batteries are not a problem for me. New spot looks nice...we definitely need some new spots...I'm always on the lookout but haven't found any spots worthy of a gtg yet. Folsom also supposedly raised entry fee from $5 to $7.

EDIT: Using alternate computer...mine maybe dead so don't always have access for gtg updates at the moment.

Last edited by Natedog; 04-23-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #10

Here is a spot to go. Attached is the link from where I posted pics. Oak Point Folsom Lake. Huge area with lots of natural rocks. My camera phone is not the best.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652589
Old 04-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tom2go View Post
Yeah, but are you going to swim across the river? This is the bridge that goes to Cool. The spot is just below it. It would be just like the Bean as far as car location, but a bit better.

you only saw the south end, the north end goes on just as far, "a bit better", I don't think so, oh I get it, better car location so a bit better it is, the bean can become quite the hike
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I think we should go to the confluence. I will go check it out this week too, and see what i think after that.

Edit: I did forget about the bbq though, there doesn't seem like a good place to do that at the confluence. Maybe down twords the river more, but not right by the trucks like folsom.

Last edited by Norcal crawler; 04-23-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Sure, I can carry my BBQ down to the rocks and it shouldn't be a big deal. We can charge batteries, but you just have to hang out by the road. It is a good spot with TOUGH rocks.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike93 View Post
Here is a spot to go. Attached is the link from where I posted pics. Oak Point Folsom Lake. Huge area with lots of natural rocks. My camera phone is not the best.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652589
That looks fun Mike! Have you been there since the water came up? Have you been to Beals Point to compare? It looks similar in those pics.

It is true that the entry fee to Folsom is now $7.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Got my High Lift today... It is thrashed! I am in the process of tearing it completely down to do a full rebuild (including the tranny). Not sure when I will be done putting it together as final exams are quickly creeping up on me as well as my big a$$ paper is due next Friday. I got the major assemblies off the frame and the frame broken down. Washed off what looks like a years worth of mud and grime. Now I am contending with rust... :( Hope I can find some bearings and a stainless screw kit. Anyone know of some?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:48 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I know that walawala or whatever has bearings for the F350, but i don't know which ones will work. Here is a link to their store. And don't reasearch papers take forever! I got one due next monday on the history of Jeeps, that stupid works cited page is confusing.

http://www.valavala.com/shop/
Old 04-23-2007, 11:07 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Thanks for the link. I will have to check them out.

Papers suck. THis one is going to be about 18 pages plus the works cited. Depending on the format of your WS page, I use the following as a resource to get it setup correctly. Has not failed me in 10 years...

MLA Online Style guide (from Purdue University): http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/557/01/

My paper is a rhetorical criticism... I don't really care for it.

Last edited by Trikster; 04-23-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:16 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tom2go View Post
Sure, I can carry my BBQ down to the rocks and it shouldn't be a big deal. We can charge batteries, but you just have to hang out by the road. It is a good spot with TOUGH rocks.

so any way ... to realign this thread with it's subject. which is crawling , and where the next gtg is going to be. I started a "papers suck" thread in chit chat. let's keep this thread on subject till after the gtg. please

Mike , that looks like a nice spot also.

Tom, that first picture ( other spot ) is the spot by the second bridge I was refering to. it doesnt' look so bad for rocks. I don't remember parking being that bad compared to Folsom. As much as we walked last time. . As far as bathrooms , we just have to go in our pants. but I think there is an outhouse by the trailhead of the mountain bike trail on the south side of the bridge.

Last edited by rockhugger; 04-24-2007 at 08:47 AM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:12 AM   #19

Tom, I have not been up there for about a month. The rocks were still pretty high up off of the lake, but it could be under water??? I may have to drive up there and check it out. I am game for your spot, it looks really nice to spend the day out there and to crawl on the challenging rocks. When you guys go out, do you bring up gate markers to make a little course or do you just do free ride?

Mike
Old 04-24-2007, 02:10 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike93 View Post
Tom, I have not been up there for about a month. The rocks were still pretty high up off of the lake, but it could be under water??? I may have to drive up there and check it out. I am game for your spot, it looks really nice to spend the day out there and to crawl on the challenging rocks. When you guys go out, do you bring up gate markers to make a little course or do you just do free ride?

Mike
Mike: we normally free ride, but I have tennis balls to put up if we get crazy. It will be good to meet you if you can make it.

OK YOU BASTARDS!, unless there are any more issues, we will be going to the American River confluence location. At 4pm I will post the final location with map, etc....or forever hold your peace.