Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Outside the US > Canada

Notices

Thread: Wraith SpawnConversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2017, 07:33 PM   #1

Default Wraith SpawnConversion

Hi all, I want to replace the stock motor in my wraith spawn with a 35T motor. What other mechanical or electronic components should be changed with it? Keep in mind I want use it strictly non competition crawling.

Thanks

Better to have it and not want it, than to need it and not have it.
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Wraith SpawnConversion

A 35Turn will be a drop in motor for you. I think my Spawn kit came with a 27t. If it were me, I'd leave the gearing alone and enjoy the added torque and lifespan you will get out of the 35t. Now, if you find you really want to gear down, maybe go with a 10t pinion as well. That pinion coupled with the 35 will really get you crawling slow and smooth while keeping the motor temps down alot. Of course you will sacrifce some top end. Good luck.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrchad View Post
A 35Turn will be a drop in motor for you. I think my Spawn kit came with a 27t. If it were me, I'd leave the gearing alone and enjoy the added torque and lifespan you will get out of the 35t. Now, if you find you really want to gear down, maybe go with a 10t pinion as well. That pinion coupled with the 35 will really get you crawling slow and smooth while keeping the motor temps down alot. Of course you will sacrifce some top end. Good luck.
I'll be content sacrificing top speed. I'll simply drop the 35T in and skip the gears if I have that correct.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
I'll be content sacrificing top speed. I'll simply drop the 35T in and skip the gears if I have that correct.

That's up to you. You will notice a difference between a 35 and a 27. Your temps will come down some, and you'll lose top end, yet gain a littler smoother bottom end response. Alot of people aren't fans of the cheap Axial brushed motors, but I've had great luck with them if they are geared properly and you've actually adjusted the slipper clutch so you don't stall out the motor in a jam. Iif you really really want an awesome brushed motor look into the Holmes Hobbies line of motors. They are in a whole different league of quality.

Not to try and worry you, and if I were you I woudn't do anything until you have to, but the stock ESC that comes on these Wraiths (ae5) are very prone to burning up their circuitry and needing replaced, so as a side, the lower you go in gearing, typically the less amps you will pull under load which should help the ESC last longer. All that to say, maybe you really should drop to a 10tooth pinion.

Last edited by rngrchad; 01-24-2017 at 08:00 PM.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:52 AM   #5

I'd be using a Castle SW3 esc