Notices

Thread: JC Auto Design - SCX10 Rear Upper Link Risers - Improved geometry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #301
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: JC Auto Design - SCX10 Rear Upper Link Risers - Improved geometry

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSuarez View Post
Hope you get your printer up and running soon. My friends and I want to try out your RULR V2 - Nylon (Dyed Black Plastic). I hope the waiting list isn't long.

Btw, how do I order? I need a quote for international shipping as well. Thanks.
You should see something posted later today, but for international orders, please send me a PM with your information and I will send the quote. Typically international shipping on a pair of these runs about $5 more.

Thanks!
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #302
I wanna be Dave

As I posted here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/new-p...ml#post4781319

I'm having a sale on almost all of my products.

I've updated the first couple posts with the correct links to the new website where you can purchase the products.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #303
Rock Crawler

And the sale extend's into Supershafty.com

Get 20% off all JCAuto Products Now in stock

SCX10 Upper Link Risers (V2) - Super Shafty
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #304
Moderator Rule Breaker

Got mine installed today.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:21 AM   #305
I wanna be Dave

The website launch sale has been successful, and I am now all caught up with orders. All paid orders are packaged and ready to ship in the morning. Keep an eye on the tracking number in your PayPal account to track the shipment.

Because the sale has been so successful, I am extending the sale until Father's day (Sunday, June 15th).
I currently have these in stock, ready to ship (no waiting on the next batch).

I am also adding the option of leaving these in natural nylon (white) next to the black dyed version. Simply select the color you would like in the drop down box before you add it to your cart. I am considering offering other dye colors down the road.

Lastly, I am updating the material to a different formulation of Nylon. The new formula is even stronger (Lab tested to 4000 lb stress) and easier to print. The main reason for switching materials was that this is easier to print, with less support material and set-up time. It was simply an added bonus that the material was also stronger, although, I have still yet to hear reports of a set of the previous Nylon version breaking.

Thank you for all your support, it is what keeps the hobby progressing.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #306
Rock Stacker

Great idea! P.P. Sent
Ax-hole56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #307
Quarry Creeper

Ordered 2 sets I'll try again didn't want to drill my R2J sliders to use the v3, I'll find a use for them some time, thanks I'll give em a work out lol!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
mikro383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:52 PM   #308
JLF
Quarry Creeper

Got mine today! Installed.... Well, I was never good at math, but Im glad someone out there understands geometry. Great improvement!

Thank you!
JLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:53 AM   #309

Any chance you would make this a open design and share your cad files? I realize that's essentially it away. There are a couple things I'd like to tweak for my application.

I like the idea, But I also have a 3D printer. So making my own are just a few minutes in Solidworks away.
twilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 AM   #310
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilliamson View Post
Any chance you would make this a open design and share your cad files? I realize that's essentially giving it away. There are a couple things I'd like to tweak for my application.

I like the idea, But I also have a 3D printer. So making my own are just a few minutes in Solidworks away.
What you are asking is basically the same as asking Vanquish or Axial for their designs, or really any company. It's not just about getting the finished design product to be able to tweak. There were countless hours of design and engineering, and revision, trial and error, etc that went into these, and the small price that I charge eventually pays for that time and effort.

I started by taking a set of calipers, and modeled the chassis and skid plate into Solidworks. Then, I designed the RULR around that part to make sure it fit well, printed a prototype, then adjusted the design, etc until I came up with the design shown. The design you see is revision 6, with many minor tweaks in the process.

Also, the material I use is different than the run-of-the-mill ABS or PLA that most 3D printers use. It's picky, finicky, and can be a PIA sometimes. (I've gone through 3 full sets of hot end components and two motherboards because of failed prints with this material before I found a good combination of settings and set-up.) The normal ABS and PLA parts are not suited to the stresses these parts will see, and a simple roll over or tumble will break the part.

I'm open to hear what tweaks you have in mind, and I do offer to make custom parts, but I will not release my designs for free. (We can talk licensing, but that is most likely not what you were thinking.)
Old 08-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
What you are asking is basically the same as asking Vanquish or Axial for their designs, or really any company. It's not just about getting the finished design product to be able to tweak. There were countless hours of design and engineering, and revision, trial and error, etc that went into these, and the small price that I charge eventually pays for that time and effort.

I started by taking a set of calipers, and modeled the chassis and skid plate into Solidworks. Then, I designed the RULR around that part to make sure it fit well, printed a prototype, then adjusted the design, etc until I came up with the design shown. The design you see is revision 6, with many minor tweaks in the process.

Also, the material I use is different than the run-of-the-mill ABS or PLA that most 3D printers use. It's picky, finicky, and can be a PIA sometimes. (I've gone through 3 full sets of hot end components and two motherboards because of failed prints with this material before I found a good combination of settings and set-up.) The normal ABS and PLA parts are not suited to the stresses these parts will see, and a simple roll over or tumble will break the part.

I'm open to hear what tweaks you have in mind, and I do offer to make custom parts, but I will not release my designs for free. (We can talk licensing, but that is most likely not what you were thinking.)
I totally understand. Never hurts to ask, Just wanted the overall measurements, the mount you have would interfere with my inner fenders, and i could actually tie a part like this to something more structural with a few modifications. Just Curious what CAD Package do you work with?

I also feel your pain when it comes to printing issues, however i have several several prints in use that have serious torque and twists (Nema 17 and 23 Steppers) that defiantly tests the strength of my print. I use Solidworks 2014 and a Makerbot 2x. I have experience with PLA,ABS and Nylons as well as the dissolvable filaments for rafting and supports.

Good Luck with your business. Hopefully you get all your bugs worked out.
twilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #312
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Just Curious what CAD Package do you work with?
I use Solidworks 2013. I've got access to 14, but don't see any major changes that would be worth the effort to switch.

Quote:
Hopefully you get all your bugs worked out.
The bugs are pretty much worked out. Nylon is just really a weird material, and these printers are not optimized for it, so there are some things you have to do to set everything up to make sure it will print well. How you set up the build plate, extruder temp, bed temp, print speed, etc. Nylon is so picky that if one of the parameters is off, you are likely to have a mess waiting for you after a print. But since it is so strong, it is worth the hassle.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #313
I wanna be Dave

New video showing the difference between stock and with these installed:

The video also features simple installation instructions and helpful tips included.

Notice how the stock SCX10 hops and skips and slips, where after the RULRs were installed, it just calmly walks right up the same incline? That's the RULRs at work.

Coming soon:
Extended version - designed to clear mirrored transmissions and extended length motors

Vaterra Ascender Chassis version - once I get my hands on one of these, I'll start designing the RULR for it.

Thanks!

Last edited by monkeyracer; 08-19-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #314
Rock Crawler

Have you had any reports of failures from the latest design? I just placed an order at supershafty to see how they do. Trying to drop some weight on my class 2 TJ so I removed the steel version I had been running.
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #315
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerb View Post
Have you had any reports of failures from the latest design? I just placed an order at supershafty to see how they do. Trying to drop some weight on my class 2 TJ so I removed the steel version I had been running.
I have yet to receive a single report of failure from the Nylon versions.
If anyone has had a failure with them, please let me know.

The nylon I use is really strong material, and even though it's 3D printed, it holds up really well to the stresses these rigs will see. That's why the steel versions were discontinued; the nylon versions are made on demand and I don't have to outsource them to another company, and they are strong enough to hold up to the abuse.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #316
Rock Crawler

Good to hear
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #317
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Coming soon:
Extended version - designed to clear mirrored transmissions and extended length motors
Awesome to hear.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #318
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Awesome to hear.
Also, I will be offering a trade in for existing Nylon RULR customers that need the extended mount. More details on that when I release the design.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:41 AM   #319
Rock Crawler

Any ETA on the extended version for the mirror'd trans? Only reason I havent ordered these yet cause I dont believe your current version will clear.
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #320
Quarry Creeper

I run a flipped mirrored trans with a 60t 32 pitch spur junfac steel shafts and they just clear
mikro383 is offline   Reply With Quote

JC Auto Design - SCX10 Rear Upper Link Risers - Improved geometry - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JC Auto Design - SCX10/AX10 Axle Truss, Panhard and CMS options monkeyracer Axles, Trannys, T-case 159 08-20-2014 11:54 PM
Trailfinder linked geometry vs SCX10 geometry arnesto RC4WD Trail Finder 2 0 05-04-2013 10:17 PM
upper link geometry.. pitcher2103 General Crawlers 3 05-05-2012 01:07 PM
Upper Link Geometry Question mann0mann General Crawlers 28 02-12-2010 02:35 PM
Lipo Rear Upper Link??? BMFOTP Electronics 5 05-19-2009 11:00 AM