RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat Classics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat-classics/)
-   -   Yes you need an external bec (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat-classics/211365-yes-you-need-external-bec.html)

Duuuuuuuude 11-18-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamikaze (Post 2113261)
The Ocoee would be an awesome place, I know it is always a blast at ECC. Plenty of parking to."thumbsup"

Since we're being biased, I'd like to see it at Lakeview. Also has lots of parking. And a port-o-jon.

Duuuuuuuude 11-18-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtus420 (Post 2113273)
Since I decided to jump on the bec bandwagon my question is this, would it be better to use my roosters crawlers internal bec for my dig and remote diff micro servo's and use the cc bec to run my steering servo..... or just use the cc bec wired to the cc wiring diagram to power all three servo's?

I'd say just use it for the steering servo. The other two aren't going to be working hard enough to worry about.

Kamikaze 11-18-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 2113278)
I'd say just use it for the steering servo. The other two aren't going to be working hard enough to worry about.

Thats what I would do. I run robot servos in my trucks, they can handle higher voltages than the dig servo can. I wire the bec to the steering servo at what ever voltage I want, then use the esc's bec to run the rx, and dig servo. Works very well.

Sorry to ruin this thread with some actual tech..... carry on."thumbsup"

monkeyracer 11-18-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trucknuts (Post 2110547)
First answer this question.

1. Do you have a radio contolled rock crawler?

Yes, then you need a BEC.
No, click the X at the top right of your screen.

I know your cousins brothers friend said you did not need one, but you do.

I know you don't run your car hard, but you still need one.

I know you have the newest baddest most awesome esc ever, but you still need a BEC. (Maybe the new Holmes Hobby ESC will change this, but for now 99.9% of you this still applies.)

In the end the fact remains.

Blah blah blah...

What about for my MOA Nitro Rock Crawler? Do I need a BEC for it? 2?
And how do I wire it? In series or parallel with the engine?

Wait, I just confused myself even more... damn it!

And I'm even more confused cuz I don't know which X to click?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nez/whichx.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by trucknuts (Post 2113088)
Again your wrong. See the first post. But I digress, I think you should not run a BEC out of principle. Even though you are completely wrong, you are willing to argue just to see your words on the internet. BRAVO.

I on the other hand want to help people. To many people ask the same question. I answered it for them. I might even save them money and heartache in the long run. But you, Young Padawan, should learn on your own. As a matter of fact. I hereby ban you from owning a BEC.

And just in case you did not read the entire thread.

Wait, who the fawk are you to ban people from BECs... nevermind. I should kiss up before you ban me and have the BEC police come and confiscate it from my crawler.

My crawler worked just fine with the stock RTR electronics. As I started upgrading stuff, better servo, dig with second servo, etc. I started having glitching problems, so I got a BEC, and the glitching is gone. The OP is sort of right. But only sort of.

Here's the correct answer:

A BEC allows your RC (insert whatever truck or whatever) to direct up to 5 (or 10 with the pro) amps of current from your batteries to your auxillary components, without using the internal BEC on your ESC.

If your existing components aren't receiving enough current, then you SHOULD get a BEC to prevent having to replace expensive components later when the magic smoke escapes, and you'll likely have an overall better experience with your rig.

How do you know you need more current? Well, when your auxillary components start "glitching" or "cutting out" then they are likely not receiving enough current.

Also, when you start to notice your crawler having issues like that, and you order a BEC, send trucknuts a PM and tell him that he was right.

If you have a BEC, and it works, send him a PM and tell him how much you appreciate his Tech thread about how much we need one.

He needs the attention so make sure you send those PMs often.

kurtus 11-18-2009 10:31 PM

Thats what I thought, I wasn't sure if that would give me better performance since I would be giving a dedicated internal 5 amps to the 2 micro's and the external 10 amps to the steering rather than all 3 servo's sharing external 10 amps...... Am I off base with this? Thanks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 2113278)

kurtus 11-18-2009 10:32 PM

Thanks for this, some info we can actually use!!"thumbsup"
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamikaze (Post 2113285)
Thats what I would do. I run robot servos in my trucks, they can handle higher voltages than the dig servo can. I wire the bec to the steering servo at what ever voltage I want, then use the esc's bec to run the rx, and dig servo. Works very well.

Sorry to ruin this thread with some actual tech..... carry on."thumbsup"

Duuuuuuuude 11-18-2009 10:33 PM

http://www.fast-aid.com/images/produ...mpax_large.gif

You know who you are, and there are more than one.

Kamikaze 11-18-2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtus420 (Post 2113289)
Thats what I thought, I wasn't sure if that would give me better performance since I would be giving a dedicated internal 5 amps to the 2 micro's and the external 10 amps to the steering rather than all 3 servo's sharing external 10 amps...... Am I off base with this? Thanks.

I used to run everything with the bec, till I got the losi. The available amp draw was eating the dig servos up real quick. Once I isolated the bec to the servo and ran the dig off of the weaker bec in the esc the dig servos no longer burn up."thumbsup"

Duuuuuuuude 11-18-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtus420 (Post 2113289)

That sounds good to me.

What battery are you running?

monkeyracer 11-18-2009 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamikaze (Post 2113297)
I used to run everything with the bec, till I got the losi. The available amp draw was eating the dig servos up real quick. Once I isolated the bec to the servo and ran the dig off of the weaker bec in the esc the dig servos no longer burn up."thumbsup"

That's how I have mine, bec - steering servo, isolated from ESC, which supplies power to the rx then to the dig servo. dig servo has no issues at all.

kurtus 11-18-2009 10:39 PM

2 2s 1300mah lipo's in parallel

To the op, your right you do need a bec........ either the internal one or an external.......................snap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!"thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 2113299)
That sounds good to me.

What battery are you running?

axman2010 11-18-2009 10:43 PM

OP you shouldn't talk anymore. Your thread sucks.

Duuuuuuuude 11-18-2009 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtus420 (Post 2113308)
2 2s 1300mah lipo's in parallel

You might be alright without one (you didn't specify what servo) but it won't hurt to have it.

kurtus 11-18-2009 10:50 PM

Well it's actually for a crappy tp mg946r thats maybe 220oz(intentions to upgrade soon) My dig servo is a hitec hs225mg thats about 65oz and the remote diff lock in a micro venom servo that can't be much more than 9g all off a Rooster crawler.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 2113315)
You might be alright without one (you didn't specify what servo) but it won't hurt to have it.

Duuuuuuuude 11-18-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtus420 (Post 2113325)
Well it's actually for a crappy tp mg946r thats maybe 220oz(intentions to upgrade soon) My dig servo is a hitec hs225mg thats about 65oz and the remote diff lock in a micro venom servo that can't be much more than 9g all off a Rooster crawler.

I'd use the bec. Once that 946 craps out and you get a better one, or step up to 3s, you'll need it.

And trust me, spending money on a good servo is totally worth it. I went through 4 TP's before I called it quits and bit the bullet on a big Hi-tec. Don't know why I waited so long.

JasonInAugusta 11-18-2009 11:12 PM

:shaking:

kurtus 11-18-2009 11:18 PM

Saving up for a hitec hs-7950th, 403oz@6v or a whopping 486@7.4v in which case....yes, you do need a bec..........were did I here that again?????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 2113336)
I'd use the bec. Once that 946 craps out and you get a better one, or step up to 3s, you'll need it.

And trust me, spending money on a good servo is totally worth it. I went through 4 TP's before I called it quits and bit the bullet on a big Hi-tec. Don't know why I waited so long.

joehein 11-19-2009 12:32 AM

so, i know it's not an r/c, but i'm worried about my 1.1. does it need a BEC? sometimes it sputters when i hit the gas, is this steering related? help would be great guys :D

JeremyH 11-19-2009 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joehein (Post 2113423)
so, i know it's not an r/c, but i'm worried about my 1.1. does it need a BEC? sometimes it sputters when i hit the gas, is this steering related? help would be great guys :D

No, for that you need a PSC.

Duuuuuuuude 11-19-2009 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyH (Post 2113575)
No, for that you need a PSC.

Or a gas capacitor (gasapacitor).

Do you have your throttle EPA's set properly?