Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat > Chit Chat Classics

Notices

Thread: Yes you need an external bec

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Somebody has a vested interest in Castle Creations....don't worry though, I won't tell anyone who.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadRockNoCookie View Post
Somebody has a vested interest in Castle Creations....don't worry though, I won't tell anyone who.
But, I thought it was a secret....
Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
But, I thought it was a secret....
You are really gonna stoop that low? As someone trying to sell a product, rumors like that are not something you should participate in...
Old 11-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

This just got ugly i think
Old 11-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucknuts View Post
You guys are turning my legitimate tech thread into a Joke.
"King of the $!*#bags" (as you proclaim) and posting legitimate tech with no factual basis, only opinion. You have yet to explain how stock rigs survive without them or what manufacturers or setups require them for optimum performance.
Explain why with amp rating/draw numbers or something.:?

And change the call sign under your screen name, it ooze's "tacky".
Old 11-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Default bec

seem's like this thread is very informative, oh and can i use bec for cooking fried rice?

Have some solid facts dude, it's confusing enough for some of us newbies in here.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped453 View Post
seem's like this thread is very informative, oh and can i use bec for cooking fried rice?

Have some solid facts dude, it's confusing enough for some of us newbies in here.

Do I need to hold your dick when you pee? How much more solid do you want. You need a BEC. Done.

I know you think, nope your wrong.

I know you heard that you might not need one, but again, nope they were wrong.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #48
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

This is why you need a BEC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32SNVXklxxs

Can't do that with a normal ESCs internal BEC. I would say that 90% of crawlers using more than 6 cell nimh or 2 cell lipo will need a BEC, it is the most common problem I am emailed about.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=JohnRobHolmes;2112504]This is why you need a BEC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32SNVXklxxs

So, can I get a good price on a Tower Pro 945?
Old 11-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
"King of the $!*#bags" (as you proclaim) and posting legitimate tech with no factual basis, only opinion. You have yet to explain how stock rigs survive without them or what manufacturers or setups require them for optimum performance.
Explain why with amp rating/draw numbers or something.:?
So I have a better idea. Since you ASS-U-ME I have no factual basis, why don't you show Me bar graphs and pie charts about why you don't need a BEC. Show me any car in, say the top 10 at worlds that does not run a BEC. And if you can't find one please tell me why they were all wrong for having one, since you must know better than they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
And change the call sign under your screen name, it ooze's "tacky".

Oozing tacky is a great compliment. But since I don't care what you think I will not thank you.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Ok, its established then. Everyone should have a BEC. If one is good and needed, will two be even better? What about 3 BEC's?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #52
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I have seen super rigs with three or more BECs (and $600 in just servos). With the BEC pro that CAstle released that is not needed anymore, unless you want isolation between components.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

I almost bought a BEC the other day. Then I thought Naaah, I prolly don't even need it.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #54
Pebble Pounder

Can you program the Castle BEC without the Link?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #55
THE Y-TOWN OG

i think you have to have the link

i just put my super together with 2x jr8711 servos and a punk dig using 1 of the small cc bec's and it glitched like no other, so i put the pro cc bec in and that fixed it all
Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

ok i see a couple posts directed at me, im not gonna quote them (im lazy). sure the servos might not stall as easy with a bec, that extra couple amps and 0.5 volt is going to turn my 645 into a magical servo that can push several hundred pound bolders out of the way with one flick of the wheel. i honestly just dont have the need for it. i put the esc into protection for a second or two because it pull too much current, but in the situation i was in i could have had 100 amps running to the servos, wasnt gonna help. ive never had an issue asie from that. again, i dont run in comps, i go out and have some fun on a sunday afternoon with a couple friends (all who dont run a bec). im not running 400+ oz/in digital servos, i dont need that sort of power, but if i was, im sure id need a bec. if i was comp crawling, id run a bec.

basicly what im getting at is its not needed, its a good upgrade depending on your setup. telling everyone that you have to have it just confuses the newbs more, and to get them up and running just adds another expense thats not needed at the time. its just like saying everyone needs to have an swx chassis, or 3s lipo, nobody needs that, but they are sure good upgrades.

and yes, peeing on an electirc fence is a great thing, i have the mystical water i drink that doesnt conduct electricity, hence why i do it at any time possible. it still tingles, sometimes hurts to pee, and for some reason im sterile. /sarcasm
Old 11-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #57
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
basicly what im getting at is its not needed, its a good upgrade depending on your setup.
You should of said "depending on your setup, you may not need it".

Sometimes it is needed. Sometimes its not needed but will improve the servos operation anyway. Sometimes it won't do a thing.

Like JRH said, when you start stepping up to higher torque servos and high voltage, you will need a BEC.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
unless you want isolation between components.
Ding ding ding! We have a winnnnaaa.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucknuts View Post
So I have a better idea. Since you ASS-U-ME I have no factual basis, why don't you show Me bar graphs and pie charts about why you don't need a BEC. Show me any car in, say the top 10 at worlds that does not run a BEC. And if you can't find one please tell me why they were all wrong for having one, since you must know better than they do.
This is supposed to be YOUR tech thread $#*&bag, but you have NO tech! Just a bunch of rambling that says YOU NEED A BEC. Tech is TECH, not opinion. Holmes atleast provided you with some reasons they were needed on comp rigs. There ARE out of the box crawlers that perform well and don't have them but this is YOUR thread, are YOU smart enough to prove what you believe? Facts?
And not once did I say anything about "COMP" crawlers not needing them or suggest I know better than they do. AGAIN, something that you made up with no facts, but I'm flattered that you think I know better.

"Funny thing about the internet, You can say what ever you want and someone will believe you." - Steve Jobbs.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #60
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude
Can I run a bec with another bec so that I am doubly protected?
Yep. I run 2 BEC's on my 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped453
oh and can i use bec for cooking fried rice?
Sure,if you can find a fried rice cooker that will work between 4.8 and 9 volts

I do believe the whole point to this thread is the fact that the same question is asked 2-5 times everyday about servo's stalling out,ESC's shutting down or bad glitches when the second servo is used. Like John said,this is the most frequently asked question he gets in emails.

Comp use,yes,a BEC is needed....maybe even 2 or 3 of those suckers.

Guys just crawling for fun in the backyard. It may not be that big of a deal if the steering quits for a second or the ESC shuts down for a few. If your good with that...that's fine,have fun with what you have,it's all good.

Something to think about though..... Like anything,if you push something hard enough that it "trips the breaker" and you keep doing it.....eventually,it's gonna give up the ghost. IMHO,it is really in your best interest to run a BEC.

Last edited by Reflection; 11-18-2009 at 09:10 PM.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat-classics/211365-yes-you-need-external-bec.html
Posted By For Type Date
Modelsport UK Forum This thread Refback 02-25-2013 11:01 AM
Status Updates - Modelsport UK Forum This thread Refback 02-25-2013 11:00 AM