RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat Classics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat-classics/)
-   -   Yes you need an external bec (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat-classics/211365-yes-you-need-external-bec.html)

The Violator 11-17-2009 05:30 PM

Yes you need an external bec

First answer this question.

1. Do you have a radio contolled rock crawler?

Yes, then you need a BEC.
No, click the X at the top right of your screen.

I know your cousins brothers friend said you did not need one, but you do.

I know you don't run your car hard, but you still need one.

I know you have the newest baddest most awesome esc ever, but you still need a BEC. (Maybe the new Holmes Hobby ESC will change this, but for now 99.9% of you this still applies.)

In the end the fact remains.

YES YOU NEED A BEC. YES YOU NEED A BEC. YES YOU NEED A BEC. YES YOU NEED A BEC.

2JSC 11-17-2009 05:34 PM

What about an ESC? Do I need one of these? I keep reading about them, but am unsure.

Rockcrawler 11-17-2009 05:43 PM

I would have agreed with this a few months ago........but now JRH's new ESC does not need a BEC. "thumbsup"

tw1st3d5 11-17-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trucknuts (Post 2110547)
No, click the X at the top right of your screen.

Sorry but there is no X at the top right of my screen.....

zookiguy 11-17-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw1st3d5 (Post 2110599)

HAHAHA a mac user. you can change that if you want.:mrgreen:

BigB_117 11-17-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockcrawler (Post 2110576)
I would have agreed with this a few months ago........but now JRH's new ESC does not need a BEC. "thumbsup"

X2 mine is running strong on 3s with two motors and a big servo"thumbsup"

Ripperfi 11-17-2009 06:19 PM

Sooooo what your telling me is, I need a BEC? Did I get that right? But what if I drive a bone stock MRC with stock servo. I mean, its a crawler right so I answer yes to your question. Do I still need a BEC?

Lil Jon 11-17-2009 06:31 PM

But Ted i dont think my rc tomato crawler needs a bec.

HomerJ 11-17-2009 07:16 PM

Can we get this stickied please??? :mrgreen:

romulus22 11-17-2009 08:42 PM

what is a BEC and do i need one on my scaler

custumrig 11-17-2009 08:46 PM

do I need a BEC in my rtc axial ax10? and why not use 4 double aa's

rmdesignworks 11-17-2009 08:52 PM

i guess this means i cant compete this weekend seeing as how the only thing that has fried on my rig IS the CC bec

JeepinDoug 11-17-2009 08:59 PM

Bose-Einstein condensation
My rig will never get that cold!

Sharkey 11-17-2009 11:59 PM

ill disagree. not all trucks need a bec, it depends on what your setup is and how you use it. i have an lrp quantum super reverse (its designed for a touring car or 1/10 scale 2wd truck) that has a 1 amp internal bec, i run 6 cell nimh and a hitec 645mg, and i dont need a bec, ive never had an issue with that setup. i now have rear steer with a 2nd 645 on the rear axle, and once, and only once have i had an issue with the esc momentarely shutting down, and thats because i had both front and rear servos stalled out for a few seconds, once i let off the rear steer it was no problem.

i will agree that when running power hungry high torque digital servos that most esc's wont provide the current needed to power steering and a dig/rear steer servo, a bec will take care of the issues.

indiana mudcat 11-18-2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkey (Post 2111390)
ill disagree. not all trucks need a bec, it depends on what your setup is and how you use it. i have an lrp quantum super reverse (its designed for a touring car or 1/10 scale 2wd truck) that has a 1 amp internal bec, i run 6 cell nimh and a hitec 645mg, and i dont need a bec, ive never had an issue with that setup. i now have rear steer with a 2nd 645 on the rear axle, and once, and only once have i had an issue with the esc momentarely shutting down, and thats because i had both front and rear servos stalled out for a few seconds, once i let off the rear steer it was no problem.

i will agree that when running power hungry high torque digital servos that most esc's wont provide the current needed to power steering and a dig/rear steer servo, a bec will take care of the issues.

you need a BEC

picklewagon 11-18-2009 12:11 AM

Through recent emails with Novak Tech support, my mongoose in my MRC does not need a BEC even with a full size Airtronics rock crusher. And I too have no X in the top right of my screen.

dboy1k 11-18-2009 12:14 AM

so you say you dont need one then why do you have 1

i have an lrp quantum super reverse (its designed for a touring car or 1/10 scale 2wd truck) that has a 1 amp internal bec, i run 6 cell nimh and a hitec 645mg, and i dont need a bec, ive never had an issue with that setup. i

sounds like you have a 1 amp internal BEC:-P

The Violator 11-18-2009 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkey (Post 2111390)
ill disagree. not all trucks need a bec...... ive never had an issue....(Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, oh yeah here it comes) and once, and only once have i had an issue with the esc momentarely shutting down, and thats because i had both front and rear servos stalled out for a few seconds, once i let off the rear steer it was no problem.

Thank you for proving my point. You have never had any problems, oh wait, yes you have. And guess what. With an external BEC, you would not have had that problem you never had, oh wait yes you did. PLEASE SEE THE FIRST POST FOR SOME GREAT ADVICE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by picklewagon (Post 2111410)
Through recent emails with Novak Tech support, my mongoose in my MRC does not need a BEC even with a full size Airtronics rock crusher. And I too have no X in the top right of my screen.

OK. but when you smoke your ESC or burn upyour servo you will be on here bitching that you have no idea why your electronics died. And I will say

"You should have ran a BEC". :mrgreen:

The Violator 11-18-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by custumrig (Post 2111005)
do I need a BEC in my rtc axial ax10? and why not use 4 double aa's

SEE FIRST POST

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmdesignworks (Post 2111018)
i guess this means i cant compete this weekend seeing as how the only thing that has fried on my rig IS the CC bec

So it sounds like you definitely need a BEC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw1st3d5 (Post 2110599)

I can't help you on that one. I suggest a hammer to the screen. "thumbsup"

Sharkey 11-18-2009 12:49 AM

i had 2 servos stalled completely, i was inbetween rocks and couldnt turn and was trying to. how would a bec change that??? all it would have done is held the servos at stall point till i baked them or the pack went flat. never had a problem since that one time, and why, cause i dont stall both servos out, i learned what i cant do.

telling everyone that they must have a bec is complete bs. not everyone needs a bec, like i said, depends on the truck. i know plenty of people that dont run them and have no issue whatsoever. yes there is a place for them, and for comps your going to want to have one, however the average setup with an average servo and esc will be alright without it.