Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Funky MS Vista

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!! MS sucks..... Go Linux, if your cheap, of bite the bullet and get a mac..

This is how i roll, taken after the re-format...
and when i graduate, i am getting a MBP, and boot camping Ubuntu for games..... just 1.5 yrs....

here's a better look ate the 3D desktop (not mine....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Wife and I both have 80GB Zunes.

I actually like it better than the iPod...larger screen, more durable.

Hard to find any accessories for it, though.
and.... my iPod has a larger Touch screen.... the iPod Touch... kicks arse!!! best thing i have EVER spent my $ on

Last edited by SnailMail; 01-18-2008 at 07:34 PM.
SnailMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2008, 01:33 AM   #22
RCC Addict

I've been using some flavor or another of linux since 2000, and I recently bought a new computer w/vista. I used it just long enough to download the latest release of fedora and burn it to a dvd, and even in that short time I just about shot the damned thing. Vista's interface is pretty, but it must be the single clunkiest and least intuitive one I've ever used. And it's soooooo slow! I could go on for days about why no one should use vista, from memory hogging, constant dialog boxes, DRM bulls^%$t, etc... Linux is secure, flexible, reliable, and its FREE!
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:11 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailMail View Post
Hthe iPod Touch... kicks arse!!! best thing i have EVER spent my $ on
I agree! I have a 16 Gig and my wife just got an 8 Gig. The 'multi touch' interface makes so much sense once you use it. It just seems right, like nothing is getting in the way. I also have a Moto Q that just came back from warranty work... and I keep touching the screen to try and use it. Then I have to remember... "Oh yeah... this ain't the Touch."
TunaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaMaxx View Post
I agree! I have a 16 Gig and my wife just got an 8 Gig. The 'multi touch' interface makes so much sense once you use it. It just seems right, like nothing is getting in the way. I also have a Moto Q that just came back from warranty work... and I keep touching the screen to try and use it. Then I have to remember... "Oh yeah... this ain't the Touch."
HA HA, i do that too.... try and touch the screen, and nothing happens, and then i realize... its not me touch.....
mine is 1.1.3, with apps, but man i wish i kept 1.1.1 and jailbroken so many apps for free.....
Old 01-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #25
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
and.... my iPod has a larger Touch screen.... the iPod Touch... kicks arse!!! best thing i have EVER spent my $ on

Oooh! A touch screen and a 16GB drive for $400?

How's that working out for you?

Why not just spend the extra $100 and get the iphone?

I paid $249 for the 80GB Zune...does everything I want and it has more memory than that overpriced ipod touch.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Vista is like Russian Roulette everytime you open something, you wonder, is my computer going to fail today?
Mello_Yello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:30 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Sorry Thorsteenster that this thread is way off your original topic, but this is Chit Shat I guess

Seriously though, it seems that everytime I hear when new Microsoft stuff comes out, people hate it and thinks it runs slow, is a big turd, all buggy, you have to download patches to make it work right and still never does, etc. etc. Then it seems like people like it once a newer version comes out because they have something new to not like. I swear these debates are copied and pasted from the days that XP came out. I remember people complaining that computers were too slow to handle the bloated XP and now it seems that technology has caught up.

I am just confused when I read things across the internet. Is it REALLY that bad or is it just people complaining because it's new and needs some work.

I am not ripping the debate with this question, I am just curious for what is the reality since I am in the market for a new computer. I don't want to purchase a license of XP only to find that it will pretty much not run half the stuff I want in a years time.

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I handed my Mom (who is not at ALL tech savvy) my iPod Touch when I first got it. She asked how it worked and I said 'you just touch the screen and move things around." Literally within 5 seconds she 'got it' and was navigating around the thing like a pro. On her own, she figured out how to listen to music, watch movies and look at pictures from a recent trip. When I showed her the 'pinch' to scale images she flipped out! It was awesome.

The multi touch interface is genius, regardless who brought it to market. I think it is going to change in how we interact with all technology. Being an early adopter of the tech is worth the premium to me.

As for storage space? I look at storage space on portable devices like supplies when camping. When you go out in the woods to camp, fish, hunt or whatever, you bring with you what you need for the next few days. Anything else stays at home...

Right now I have 8 full length movies, about 1000 songs and 450 or pictures on my 16 Gig Touch. There's still over 3 Gigs left.

I do think that the $100 bucks difference between the 8 Gig and 16 Gig versions is a little steep though.

Quote:
I live in Canada... we don't 'officially' have the iPhone yet. Plus I have 2+ years left on a contract with a provider that won't be one the gets 'em when they are released.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

How's that working out for you?

I paid $249 for the 80GB Zune...does everything I want and it has more memory than that overpriced ipod touch.
Oh..... and i forgot to mention.... where are the 3rd party apps for the zune? oops, i forgot no one has one, so there are none

and why i didnt buy a Iphone? AT&T sucks where i live... and you can brick it

and the 300 i payed for my 8GIG is THE BEST money i have ever spent....
Old 01-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Notice the difference between your screenshot and mine? Yours is missing the divider between the quicklaunch tray and the rest of the taskbar, or it's way over on the other side. I tried messing with mine, but can't duplicate your issue. Hopefully it'll help you figure it out.

Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Damn you Jeckler for bringing this thread back on topic! ;)

There was a good flame war starting!
Old 01-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckler View Post
Notice the difference between your screenshot and mine? Yours is missing the divider between the quicklaunch tray and the rest of the taskbar, or it's way over on the other side. I tried messing with mine, but can't duplicate your issue. Hopefully it'll help you figure it out.
right click, lock the taskbar, so its unlocked, then try messing around with it, might help.......
Old 01-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #33
06 Super National Champ

I still think the ipod touch sucks...so does Vista.

Sam,
When I "upgraded" to Vista everything slowed down...but it looked good.

Instead of being able to click on a new email to read it in the preview pane (I don't double-click and open) I click on it and count "one thousand one, one thousand two.."

It literally takes a second or two on average to just go from one email to the next.

Then there's all that bullshit "cancel or allow" windows that pop up.

When I try ending a non-repsonive progam I get yet another window that asks if I want to end the program or wait.

If I click on end program Vista decides "Fawk you, buddy. Instead of ending the program like you asked, we're going to look for a solution."

Vista is the best advertisment Apple and Mac has ever had.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Vista is the best advertisment Apple and Mac has ever had.
FYI, not to be a jerk, but apple and mac are the same thing, but yeah, vista does suck, and i am glad i dont have it....
Old 01-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
FYI, not to be a jerk, but apple and mac are the same thing, but yeah, vista does suck, and i am glad i dont have it....
Well... no. Not really.

Apple is the company. Mac is the product.

Like Chevrolet is the company and Corvette is the product.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #36
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaMaxx View Post
Well... no. Not really.

Apple is the company. Mac is the product.

Like Chevrolet is the company and Corvette is the product.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:08 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

So, to get back on subject, the user came back in from the field yesterday and I noticed her taskbar was back to normal, I was waiting for her to come back in and just recreate her profile. So today I was asking her what she did and she said some kind of improper shut down and when it came back up it was normal again. Funken Vista.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote