Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: ROAR Legalizes Brushless and Lipo!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default ROAR Legalizes Brushless and Lipo!

Posted by Dawn Sanchez, as stated, in a thread on RCTech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
so.. home from the meeting.... We met most of the evening Friday, all day Saturday and took a little break to visit the AMA convention next door and then all day Sunday. The minutes will be posted on the website shortly, (as soon as Corey gets his email).. and you will see nine pages of information we widdled down to something readable.

But.. you want to know..

Yes, 27T and 17.5 is the stock class of racing in ROAR competition and ... This will slow down the stock class of racing as it needs to be and maintain the stock brushed motor use at most events, especially off road, we are assuming.

19T and 10.5 is the Super Stock class. (formerly called 19T class) We recommend local programs stick with what they are doing that is working for their integration of brushed and brushless motor racing. In 2009, 13.5 will be the Super Stock class.

I'm sure there are criticisms, questions and probably even a little disappointment out there. We took the future of ROAR racing, our membership and our affliates into consideration. I'm sure you all can understand the position the Excom was placed in and the decisions were not made hastily. This thread was extremely insightful and educational for me and I thank each of you.

AND.. GEORGE CHERRY.. LIPO 7.4V BATTERIES ARE APPROVED IN ALL 6 CELL SUB-C 7.2V CLASSES.... SO WHERE IS YOUR MEMBERSHIP FORM??
original thread.... http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=198561
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

its been legal in the open class around here!
with onroad the limit was the track we were running for the open class!

but its pretty cool! non the less!
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

good to see them moving in the right direction. I know some other organizations have so far only legalized the orion lipo and I have bitched about that and told them that a lipo is a lipo but they are so scared of the technology they wont change. but it will happen they were all fighting brushless and I was preaching that to them, and now they are all doing it. I know the sponsored electric guys are scared to death of loosing there battery edge by letting the lipo's in to the mix. this levels the playing field and is a great move.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinubyrc View Post
its been legal in the open class around here!
with onroad the limit was the track we were running for the open class!

but its pretty cool! non the less!
You couldn't run a ROAR sanctioned event with lipos until now. Doing so meant you weren't sanctioned, therefore not covered under the ROAR insurance policy if there was an unfortunate incident.

This is great news. It means we can ditch all the voodoo associated with maintaining NiMH race packs. Just charge-n-balance
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the 21st century ROAR!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Welcome to the 21st century ROAR!
No kidding. I went to one of the regionals (or was it nationals) here locally last year and I couldn't believe that they weren't allowing them to run lipo. I thought that was so strange. I wanted to see what these fast guys were putting in their rigs and I was disappointed.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:53 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloak View Post
I wanted to see what these fast guys were putting in their rigs and I was disappointed.
You didn't miss anything, lipos are not any faster than NiMH. Actually many NiMH now have more peak voltage than the legal 2S lipo.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
You didn't miss anything, lipos are not any faster than NiMH. Actually many NiMH now have more peak voltage than the legal 2S lipo.
That may be true for the listed lipos, but I vastly prefer the lipo packs I own over the balanced NiMH packs I own. They sure make the trucks seem faster.

Then again, I like dumping good electrics into my trucks for playing around more than actual racing. Racing seems to take the fun out of it for me.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:27 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

hm, interesting. wonder what effect this will have on the offroad worlds? or has the international sanctioning body not adopted lipos and BL yet? anyway I bet this will make TC racing real interesting, as a lot of the cars have the battery on one side of the drivetrain and the whole car balanced for the weight of a sub-C pack. since lipo is a lot lighter, it might make centralizing the mass of the battery a much higher priority now. or running a saddle pack. the JRX-S and Type R won't be negatively affected by this tho. a few Xrays with centralized batteries might because I do believe on one Xray the rear bulkhead wraps around the rearmost cell in the pack. or maybe it's the front. I don't quite remember. but it is something that would interfere with running a large-ish 2s lipo. oh yeah, and the 6 cell classes for the 1:12 pan cars will likely become even more blistering fast if they are allowed to run the lipos
Slyp Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

You still have to meet the same weight requirements and the batteries must be in an enclosed case/skin (hence max amps releasing skins for almost all their lipos so quickly).

Most TC guys add the weight right back where the battery was at the local track, so the balance doesnt really get too messed up.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Seems like its going to be more trouble than its worth running lipo. I'll stick with my "old" technoligy.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Seems like its going to be more trouble than its worth running lipo. I'll stick with my "old" technoligy.
What is the trouble to run Lipo?
Old 01-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #13
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
More verbal diarrhea from this kid.

So, with lipos, you just balance them and charge 'em up and run 'em. With NiMH race packs, there's all sorts of voodoo involved with keeping them in top shape. And one person's voodoo is usually totally different from another guy. Just to keep my packs in shape, I've got a charger, a discharger and a balancer. And if I don't wanna watch my packs all the time in the offseason, I need some sort of battery monitor. As lipos become more mainstream and everyone tries to max performance out of them, I'm sure more voodoo will develop, but for now, it's pretty friggin' simple.

So you tell me, why should I not go lipo?
Old 01-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I don't balance my Orion 3200 Lipos, they and their supplier Kokam say it isn't necessary on 2S packs.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #15
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
I don't balance my Orion 3200 Lipos, they and their supplier Kokam say it isn't necessary on 2S packs.
Even better!
Old 01-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

there will be lipo voodoo to some day you know. just still early in the game guys are allready playing with charge rate's. it is just a matter of time before before lipo's have a secret side to them. but till then lipo's are easier to use and cheaper. and from what I have seen of 4200's lately they are safer to. those suckers are blowing up left and right and they only last about a month of racing.

big problem with lipo is the oval world 4 cell rules there and those guys are fighting hard to keep lipos from making any kind of showing. lipo is really to fast for most pan car drivers thats alot of voltage for the cars you cant gear the motors down enough for stock classes for most tracks. and the sposered guys dont want to loose there team battery pack edge since the lipo's all seem to be pretty close. I know one thing I will never race with anything but lipo's from now on. NIMH sucks right now there has not been a good cell out since 3300's

Last edited by sloppy; 01-18-2008 at 03:51 PM.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
You couldn't run a ROAR sanctioned event with lipos until now. Doing so meant you weren't sanctioned, therefore not covered under the ROAR insurance policy if there was an unfortunate incident.

This is great news. It means we can ditch all the voodoo associated with maintaining NiMH race packs. Just charge-n-balance

no its called and open class for a reason! and we were under roar no lipo just brushless!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
there will be lipo voodoo to some day you know. just still early in the game guys are allready playing with charge rate's. it is just a matter of time before before lipo's have a secret side to them. but till then lipo's are easier to use and cheaper. and from what I have seen of 4200's lately they are safer to. those suckers are blowing up left and right and they only last about a month of racing.

big problem with lipo is the oval world 4 cell rules there and those guys are fighting hard to keep lipos from making any kind of showing. lipo is really to fast for most pan car drivers thats alot of voltage for the cars you cant gear the motors down enough for stock classes for most tracks. and the sposered guys dont want to loose there team battery pack edge since the lipo's all seem to be pretty close. I know one thing I will never race with anything but lipo's from now on. NIMH sucks right now there has not been a good cell out since 3300's
well i guess haveing a battery sponsers is great i have never had a 4200 blow up on me

and nimh has just as big of an edge as lipo!

i for one thing will not ever switch to lipo since they are lighter then my six cell packs that means i have to completly retune my tc4 for the track!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #19
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Great for the racers, not that I really give a hoot.

I just had a really good matched GP3700 give up the ghost today. Logged a 360 amp burst off of it today, but the sucker wouldn't keep a good voltage. Time to pull out the voodoo card and see if I can cycle some voltage handling back in. Lipo is looking better and better all of the time. I would only have to worry about two or three cells in a pack going bad instead of 6-12
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
More verbal diarrhea from this kid.

So, with lipos, you just balance them and charge 'em up and run 'em. With NiMH race packs, there's all sorts of voodoo involved with keeping them in top shape. And one person's voodoo is usually totally different from another guy. Just to keep my packs in shape, I've got a charger, a discharger and a balancer. And if I don't wanna watch my packs all the time in the offseason, I need some sort of battery monitor. As lipos become more mainstream and everyone tries to max performance out of them, I'm sure more voodoo will develop, but for now, it's pretty friggin' simple.

So you tell me, why should I not go lipo?

Never said you shouldn't go lipo. First you need to read and comprehend what I say.

I wont be running lipo anytime soon because at my track only a couple brands of lipos are allowed. you have to skin them, charge them and in a lipo sack. I have to much money invested in NIMH to change.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote