Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Slot Cars, Real Slot Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Slot Cars, Real Slot Cars

I realized I haven't posted anything about slot cars over here. So, I'll start tossing my build threads in this thread.

I have been in to 1/24 slot cars for a little over a year now. I have always been into them, but we just recently moved to where a track is close to us.

Here is the latest build.

Project T-bird

Specs.

Chassis: WRP Side winder, built using stainless steel tubing
Motor: Pro Slot SpeedFX, with adjustable timing
Tires: Pro Track Eliminators .300 wide

Misc. TQ Lead wire, WRP Solid Wheelie wheels, Parma "The Blade" guide flag, 12/54 Gearing, and the T-bird body.

I got the light reflections all wrong in this shot, it makes the body look really beat up and rough.

Here are some other cars I have built.

The one I'm proud of, took me a long time to build this one, lol.

My Top sportsman, this is my most "High dollar" car. I put roughly $150 into it.

The first car I ever built, getting ready to be shortened and put under a new body.

The first car I ever owned.

Some pictures of all of them.

I do all the paint and body work on all my cars.

This is the body that will be going over the mustang chassis. This thing cost the original owner over $100 to have built. It started life as a 1/24th scale Fire Bird then it was chopped, cut, and turned into a 1/25th scale FireBird. And not just any FireBird.

It dose need a little work, but other than that I love this body.

Thank you,
Shaun
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Drag strip slot cars....wow is it located next to a paint drying competition?
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Slot drags are awesome. I never ran them but they are insanely fast. I always stuck to 1/24 track slots and HO slots.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yeah. I also race round-de-round. this may appear boring to BinaryTerror, but 1/24th slot cars take alot of practice and work, its not like an RC Car where you can just pick it up and start driving. I have raced RC and Slots, slot cars are much harder to drive. And 95% of people say that drag racing is harder than road course racing.

We have guys like BinaryTerror come into the track all the time. And there is nothing I love more than a noob like BinaryTerror.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:

Nice !!
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
And there is nothing I love more than a noob like BinaryTerror.
Put away your e-cock.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Slot cars=throttle conrtol.
RC cars=throttle control.........and turning...and suspension set ups.
chole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chole View Post
Slot cars=throttle conrtol.
RC cars=throttle control.........and turning...and suspension set ups.
Thats why slot cars are much harder than RC Cars. After running slot cars I can dominate the RC track. You don't just set slot cars on the track and run them either there is lots to set-up.

Also I have never learned so much about motor building than I have with slot cars, thats probably the best thing that I have gotten from it. Now I can built motors that kill anything else out at the RC track.

Last edited by Shaun; 01-24-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I got kicked out of a turning slot car track for being smart...

I wanted to win so I installed a pick up in the front like normal, added another to the rear without the brushes and I won. Full throttle entire course.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I got kicked out of a turning slot car track for being smart...

I wanted to win so I installed a pick up in the front like normal, added another to the rear without the brushes and I won. Full throttle entire course.
"Dual" guides are illegal they take all the skill out of the hobby. Instead of cheating, you should have just practiced on your driving skills. The only classes that 2 guides are legal that I know of is the FWD drag class.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Legal shmegal dude.

Its a car without steering without suspension it is nothing like racing Electric Off road Truck or Nitro Off road in anyway. You only control the throttle, that thus makes it 1/2 as fun and 1/2 as hard.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Legal shmegal dude.

Its a car without steering without suspension it is nothing like racing Electric Off road Truck or Nitro Off road in anyway. You only control the throttle, that thus makes it 1/2 as fun and 1/2 as hard.
haha i agree, its probley actullay no fun at all just making it go fast and make the body look pretty.. which shaun you failed at that, POST UP YOUR TIMES!!! and slot car racing is harder than 1/8th scale buggy racing? hmm im gonna have to pick up one of these little toys sometime and work on my buggy skills
TurnThePage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnThePage View Post
haha i agree, its probley actullay no fun at all just making it go fast and make the body look pretty.. which shaun you failed at that, POST UP YOUR TIMES!!! and slot car racing is harder than 1/8th scale buggy racing? hmm im gonna have to pick up one of these little toys sometime and work on my buggy skills
Slot cars have brakes too now...WTH when I ran 1/24th and old 1/32 there was no brakes you actually had to let off early. Now these tracks come with brakes.

In Electric and Nitro racing even on-road you have to move the trigger forward AND reverse.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

"Thats why slot cars are much harder than RC Cars. After running slot cars I can dominate the RC track."

Ok, so they taught you to let off the gas before the corner. You can learn motor building from anything with an electric motor.
chole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Slot cars have brakes too now...WTH when I ran 1/24th and old 1/32 there was no brakes you actually had to let off early. Now these tracks come with brakes.

In Electric and Nitro racing even on-road you have to move the trigger forward AND reverse.
ohh im sorry, you have brakes too that will make me respect the slot cars a little more,haha.. no not really
TurnThePage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Definately different than RC's,but still a lot of fun! Years ago I used to hang out with a bunch of guys that ran slot drag cars.I started to get into it but the track closed suddenly.There is more to just pinning the throttle on these cars.There was a bit of tuning involved.Pretty neat watching a new car skip down the track and after a few adjustments watch it fly down the track.
I built these cars to run on the drag track.Rubberband powered and pretty fast for what they were.I ran them in the door slammer class where you had to dial in your ET.I always won because all I had to do was wind the band the EXACT amount of turns each time and get the same ET.If I started to slow down,I just added an extra turn.Was alot of fun.If I remember correctly,my fastest was 2.6 sec @ 17.5mph or something like that.

Last edited by 72Blazer; 01-24-2008 at 03:23 PM.
72Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Man, why all the hating on slot cars? I mean, it's not my bag either, but I'm not going to rag on the guy. Geeze...

I actually think that drag racing is the only style of slot cars that I would get into. Just like racing Matchbox cars down a ramp when you were little.

I'd like to get one of the "off-road" style kit's I've seen for home - the ones with bumps and obstacles on the track and cars with articulation. That might be kinda fun for rainy days.

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 01-24-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Some people are just d!cks. We have a large hobby shop with about 5 or 6 tracks and one drag track. Not my bag, but they are kind of neat.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

sweet were ya get the bodys at ??????
aftershock1 is offline   Reply With Quote