Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Computer Wiring Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Computer Wiring Question

Setting up my new "server" machine for the house, with scrap machines left over here at the office.

So, my new HDD is SATA, and after splicing in a SATA power plug off the old 4-plug PS, I have the machine up and running. Now, I want to add in my old HDD since all of our old stuff is on it. First try, I run the IDE HDD into the IDE1 plug on the mobo (CD is in IDE2), and set it's jumpers to slave..................windows didn't like this too much, and wouldn't even start. I am guessing that Windows, or the BIOs, is looking at both the SATA1 plug and the IDE1, and doesn't know what to do.

So, I am thinking that I will have to run my IDE HDD and my CD drive off the IDE2 plug, via pri/slave cable? Sound abut right?

Figured I would ask before ruining something.

Thanks
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #2

If you had the IDE HDD plugged into the IDE1 slot and it is the only drive on that channel, it needs to be set to MASTER not slave. Just make sure that your bios is set to boot off the sata drive and not the IDE drive.
AkCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Sense I did not want any prehistoric hardware in my new computer I just picked up a cheap external hard drive case and put my old hard drive in it.
Once I got everything I needed off of my old hard drive I formatted it and just use it for storage/paper weight. A 60 gb had is worthless when you can buy a 500 gig for less than $100.

If you want you could buy a external case that supports USB 2.0, Firewire, and eSATA. That way it will be upgradeable.
_BEN_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkCrash View Post
If you had the IDE HDD plugged into the IDE1 slot and it is the only drive on that channel, it needs to be set to MASTER not slave. Just make sure that your bios is set to boot off the sata drive and not the IDE drive.
Reset the jumper to Master, then removed jumper, and still hanging up on start up.

In the BIOS, 1st priority is CDROM, and HDD. In the HDD BOOT priority list, the HDD hooked up to the SATA plug is now listed first.........still hanging.

The Mobo is seeing the SATA drive as IDE Master Channel 1, the IDE drive and IDE Master Channel 0, and the CD as IDE Master Channel 2.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Reset the jumper to Master, then removed jumper, and still hanging up on start up.

In the BIOS, 1st priority is CDROM, and HDD. In the HDD BOOT priority list, the HDD hooked up to the SATA plug is now listed first.........still hanging.

The Mobo is seeing the SATA drive as IDE Master Channel 1, the IDE drive and IDE Master Channel 0, and the CD as IDE Master Channel 2.
Leave the jumper off and dont set it to slave.

Start the PC with both HDs installed

Right click My Computer

Select Manage

Disk Management under Storage

Find the new volume of your new HD. You will right click it and it will say something like, Initialize disk. THis is going to format the HD and give it a Drive Letter.

So be sure to back anything up on it. If its SATA, this is the only way to get it to where the HD is a secondary. Afterwards, restart and go into the BIOS and make sure that the Primary drive is still the boot drive and you should be good to go.
Lankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Cool, thanks! Finally got it going.

Kept trying to restart it with both HDDs hooked up, and it keep restarting with never going into Windows, then, for whatever reason, it eventually did. Once in Windows, Windows recognized the new IDE Controller instantly, and it automatically installed it.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Cool, thanks! Finally got it going.

Kept trying to restart it with both HDDs hooked up, and it keep restarting with never going into Windows, then, for whatever reason, it eventually did. Once in Windows, Windows recognized the new IDE Controller instantly, and it automatically installed it.

Thanks!!!
Ya I had the same problem with mine...kept thinking jumpers etc. then finally figured it was in Management.

I restarted mine once and it was trying to boot from my secondary HD, thats why I mentioned check the bios to make sure it was booting from the primary.
Lankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote