Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Wyotech anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Wyotech anyone?

Alright so i'm a huge car guy and building cars turns me on. With that said i am looking to go to school to build hot rods, muscle cars, etc. Now i've been looking at Wyotech for a while because it seems to be the only place that does this type of thing. Has anyone gone there or have any input about the school? or does anyone know of any other schools in the US that do this type of thing?
clodman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

nobody knows anything about wyotech? there must be somebody.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Great school with a well deserved great reputation. I doubt you'll do yourself wrong by going there.
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by clodman666
nobody knows anything about wyotech? there must be somebody.
PM RCKJeep he attends thier school

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i to am a huge car enthusiest, i thought about going to wyotech, only bad thing is its out of state, but they do everything i want!

whoever said don't fit it if it aint broke just don't get it
and great rides arent born, they're created...two motos/phrases i practicly live by...ill have to start a thread in here soon of my 85 s10 daily driver project, lol

Last edited by swamp_rat; 11-08-2006 at 02:39 PM.
swamp_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

well thank you for some responses. it's out of state for me too but from what i've read/heard it seems like it would be worth it. any more input would be appreciated.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I definatly plan on going there. My friend was just recently eccepted. Looks and sounds like a great place for car enthuiests(sp?).
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I went to an auto body trade school. When I was there this guy transferred out of wyotech to go here. I was asking him about it then. He said it's very strict. Dress code has to be spot on. Hair cut's, tattoo's, pircings, cursing etc....
That's why he didn't go there very long he didn't fit there mold well. The knowledge he said was great, but the atmosphere was very uptight.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

i went to UTI. great school, fast paced, very informative but i wish i had gone to wyo instead.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

im taking college auto courses through highschool at the community college here, i like the environment, no dress code, no BS rules about hair, tats, piercings etc, just be respectful and do what you have to do..this is why i plan on staying there, more of my type of place...thats why i didnt wanna go to any other college, most have strict rules and all
swamp_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

see the only problem is finding someplace that does what i want to do. i like building cars from the ground up. i don't want to build an engine and throw it in a car i want to build the whole car. as far as i know wyotech is really the only well known place that does that. what are some of these other places you guys are talking about?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Buster's school of street rods in Glendale AZ
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

thanks cole82. i'll have to look into it.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:22 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Just say this thread. The school is decent. There are issues with it like UTI and the others. It mainly depends on how you learn. WYOTECH is really fast paced, the minimum you can take there takes 9 months of 40 hours a week. It goes by fast and if you are a slow learner when it comes to retaining info like I am it may not be the best for you. UTI takes 18 or 24 months. If I remember correctly. It also depends on what you know already. I went to the Sacramento campus because they had Chassis fab. then after talking to the some people who took the class and seeing what the spent time teaching I decided to skip it and save $8k. But if you are fairly entry level it's great. Anyway we can talk more if you want. Just PM me and we can swap # and BS about it.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I went to DADC, which is now Lincoln tech (across the street from finish line R/C) I learned a lot of good theoretical knowledge about cars. Anyone considering this has to know, you can't expect to come out of it and get a job on the spot just 'cause you went to school. You need to work on cars while you're going to school, even if you're just changing oil. You won't make it anywhere without real experience fixing cars in the real world. Theoretical knowledge is only about 1/3rd of the job, the rest is hands on experience. That said, it was one of the best things I ever did for myself.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:06 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I've talked to a few people who went to the wyoming campus and they all said it was a waste of time and money, they only thing they really learned was how to weld. They said that the engines and such have been torn apart so many times that when you have to find out whats wrong with it you just follow the tool marks. Besides that, as mentioned before it is very faced paced and it would be difficult if you are a slow learner. I talked to a kid who went to the Arizona campus for UTI and he said he liked it a lot, he also said he got offered to go work for BMW.Between the two, it think UTI has better job placement and such. My personal opinion would be UTI, but my advice is do as MUCH research as you can, see if you can find some graduates, dont just tour the school but see if you can shadow classes for a few days or a week or something. Have you done a lot with cars? I thought I would LOVE being a mechanic, but I started helping out at a shop and my view changed, see if you can spend a little time in a shop that does what you want. Its expensive and a big commitment, do everything you can to be shure you wont regret it.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:23 AM   #17
RCC Addict

i am currently enrolled in NTI the Nascar Technical Institute. its the NC campus of UTI and i love it. you must first take the core classes for like 48 weeks then you transfer to the Nascar oriented classes like engine building, chassis fab, body fab, suspension, dyno classes(engine, transmission, and chassis). its a lot of fun and majority of the instructors are a trip. they also have Ford FACT and a good Nissan program. students who do good can be eligible to move on to programs for BMW, Porche, International, Audi, VW, and a few other ato manufacturers. there are many race team fab shops around and since its in race city usa its surrounded by nascar teams. JR motor sports is right behind the school, along with petty enterprises, Kasey kane racing, rusty Wallace's shop, red bull racing, DEI, walltrip racing. and me working at the local hobby town usa i have met many of them. the school wont promise you a job but its who you meet and know that gets you anywhere. my .02 cents.
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

My wife and I have both graduated from Wyotech so none of this is hearsay. The only way someone could say that wyotech is fast paced is if they have never had more involvement in the auto industry than watching "hot rod tv". The teachers are the local auto techs that are burnt out on working in a shop and thought teaching might be easier. They often don't understand what they are teaching if it wasn't specifically what they were previously doing in there work environment. If you have a strong automotive background than i can not stress enough how much of a joke this "school" is. You would be much better spending your $35000 on tools and doing an apprenticeship at a shop that does the type of work you are interested in. Wyotech has to have a certain graduation rate in order to keep there funding and since there is no testing for acceptance they slide alot of kids by. This RUINS their rep with employers because these IDIOTS are walking out with wyotech "degrees". When I started at my current job my boss said i already had one strike against me since I was from Wyotech.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote