Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Mythbusters Episode

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Mythbusters Episode

Did anyone catch last nights episode? So, did the plane take off?

My guess is no.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I tivo'd it, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I would also assume no, but those guys usually find a way, and if not, they'll just blow it up !
procraft98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

BUSTED!!! Plane took off with no problems.
Mr. Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
Powered by Awesome

i was curious myself.. i doubt it did. with this theory, you would in essance be able to put the plane at full throttle and start to produce lift before forward motion is achieved.. most small aircraft dont do so well under 90mph.. so.. im shooting for no.
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

What plane did they use?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedXT View Post
theory, you would in essance be able to put the plane at full throttle and start to produce lift before forward motion is achieved
The throttle has nothing to do with flight...it just helps the wheels overcome friction with the ground by producing thrust. Hell, grounded planes take off when Hurricanes come through. All you need is a large amount of air passing over and under the wings to create lift.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
What plane did they use?
I am not sure what plane they used but it was just a small single person prop plane.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Here is a link to the results of there tests.

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode97
Old 01-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chevy View Post
I am not sure what plane they used but it was just a small single person prop plane.
Maybe the external propellor has the ability to send enough air over the wings to create lift. I do not think this could happen with a turbine engine...
Old 01-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Planes do not use the wheels for propulsion, therefore it does not matter what speed they spin or in what direction. The plane will still move forward, generate lift, and take off.

Example: Conveyor moves at 100mph north. Plane engine moves plane at 100mph south. Wheels spin at 200mph north. Plane still takes off b/c it is moving at 100mph.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
Wheels spin at 200mph north.
If the wheels simply spin (angular velocity) and are not related to the force that moves the plane, then how does the plane move? (whether or not the plane moves when on the conveyor belt is the real question here)
Old 01-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Its' propeller/ jet engine, which provides thrust against the air. The only effect the conveyor has on the forward speed of the plane is the slight friction from the wheels' bearings (or whatever they spin on).
Old 01-31-2008, 11:20 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Yes. The engine forces the plane to move with respect to the ground, but if the ground is "not moving", then no air will be flowing over/under the wings.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Well said, definately makes sense. I always thought the myth was that if the conveyor was moving at take off speed and the engine was off then the plane would still take off. Obviously, it wouldn't because there is no air moving past the wings.

Quote:
Planes do not use the wheels for propulsion, therefore it does not matter what speed they spin or in what direction. The plane will still move forward, generate lift, and take off.

Example: Conveyor moves at 100mph north. Plane engine moves plane at 100mph south. Wheels spin at 200mph north. Plane still takes off b/c it is moving at 100mph.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:24 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

There's some good discussion here: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=940908

It flys.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:31 AM   #16
Holmes Hobbies

Quote:

X2,Well put,Planes use thrust to take off so it doesn't matter what is under them,naval aircraft carriers have been doing it for years but for shorter take off reasons they point the ship into the wind
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:38 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Love the show....
Rok_Dok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Yes. The engine forces the plane to move with respect to the ground, but if the ground is "not moving", then no air will be flowing over/under the wings.
I guess this statement I made is incorrect....the engines force the plane to move with respect to the air...just like a swamp boat...
Old 01-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

I was watching the recap of LOST last night, but I recorded MB. I watched it at 5:00 this morning. Great ep. Aside from being a great myth, I liked the topic because it is easy to come up with the wrong answer and stop thinking about it rather than thinking it through and then deciding that the airplane dynamics are much different than a person walking or car driving on a treadmill.

The "plane" was actually an ultralight single seat aircraft. The scale test with a simple R/C plane was pretty conclusive and a good first-test.
JamboreeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

The myth was BUSTED! They used a ultralight style plane. Weight 400 total pounds. Plane w/o conveyor belt took of at a speed of 25mph and took 85 ft to leave runway.

With the conveyor belt moving at 25mph the opposite direction and the plane going the other at 25 mph, the plane took off. It even surprised the pilot. He didn't think that it would take off.
Slickrock450 is offline   Reply With Quote