Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: CA is great as an instant bandage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default CA is great as an instant bandage

last nite i was trying to unplug my bottle of CA. you know how the tip always gets stuck once in awhile when you don't use it for awhile. i took off the tip part of the bottle and took out my straight pick i use for scribing on sheet metal. i stuck it through the tip and was trying to unplug it. damn CA was all solid in there so i pushed alittle harder, then WHAMM!! fricking scrib punctured through the side of the tip right into my finger tip. it went in deep cause i could feel it. i pulled it out as fast as i could. i thought for sure i was going to have alot of blood all over my hand. to my surprise there was nothing but alittle spot where it punctured. alittle of the CA was still wet when it attacked my finger and sealed it up. i was just tripping out on how fast it could stop it. just wanted to share this with you cause i was laughing my ass off later thinking about it. mental note to myself...............if it's clogged, just get a new bottle .
RydeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Copy and paste out of wikipedia:

Medical uses

The use of cyanoacrylate glues in medicine was considered fairly early on. Eastman Kodak and Ethicon began studying whether the glues could be used to hold human tissue together after surgery. In 1964, Eastman submitted an application to use cyanoacrylate glues to seal wounds to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Soon afterward Dr. Harry Coover's glue did find use in Vietnam—reportedly in 1966, cyanoacrylates were tested on-site by a specially trained surgical team, with impressive results. In an interview with Dr. Coover by the Kingsport Times-News, Coover said that the compound demonstrated an excellent capacity to stop bleeding, and during the Vietnam War, he developed disposable cyanoacrylate sprays for use in the battlefield.
If somebody had a chest wound or open wound that was bleeding, the biggest problem they had was stopping the bleeding so they could get the patient back to the hospital. And the consequence was—many of them bled to death. So the medics used the spray, stopped the bleeding, and were able to get the wounded back to the base hospital. And many, many lives were saved.
—Dr. Harry Coover
The original Eastman formula was not FDA approved for medical use, however, because of a tendency to cause skin irritation and to generate heat. In 1998 the FDA approved 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for use in closing wounds and surgical incisions. Closure Medical has developed medical cyanoacrylates such as Dermabond, Soothe-N-Seal and Band-Aid Liquid Adhesive Bandage.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
RCC Addict

we used to use it all the time while caving. you would get little cuts all over your hands from sharp rocks and bandaids were worthless when wet, plus you no longer had any grip. little CA works perfectly.

alot of people look at me like I am crazy when I tell them that.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have been doing this for years. If your wound is big enough to need stitches, get them. Somehow stitches leave less scarring.
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Tampons are great for stopping the bleeding of bullet wounds. 5.56 nato to 7.62 nato the Ultra thins plug it up well. 7.62 to .50 BMG the thins work well, if your not dead.
Usmc8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I was unloading some big steel trench plates in Gillette, WY several years ago and when I was releasing my load binders with my bar, it got caught up in the binder and flew back and cracked me in the head. I was wearing sunglasses at the time and the bar hit my head so hard, it broke off a piece of the glass and drove it into my face, right at the top of my eye socket... Well, it knocked me out for a couple minutes and when I came to, they took me to the hospital. The gash was about 3 inches long. I was afraid I was gonna get stitches but the doctor put some medical grade CA in the cut. That was the first time I'd ever heard of using "super glue" to fix cuts. The doctor explained that for cuts, you can use regular CA instead of a band-aid (if it's a nasty cut, though, go to the doctor to be safe!!!). The best part is..... the scar is barely noticeable..... Needless to say, I now wear safety sunglasses when I'm at work! Sorry for such a long winded story
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Been using super glue for a while to seal up small cuts, then I got some CA glue and realized it might work better....it does and now I use it all the time, especially here lately my hands have been cracking from the cold/wind we've had and it seals up the cracks good until they heal.
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

just remember most doctors will not treat a wound glued with ca.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:45 AM   #9
RCC Addict

i was pissin blood but good ol' CA fixed that
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Someone actually makes something called NU SKIN, (could be wrong spelling) but it is very similar, stings like HELLLL but it works good and seals the cut up.
D-ran83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ran83 View Post
Someone actually makes something called NU SKIN, (could be wrong spelling) but it is very similar, stings like HELLLL but it works good and seals the cut up.
Tried that stuff on my hands....doesn't hold up nearly as good as the CA..
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote