Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Need help with steering ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Need help with steering ideas

I'm throwing this 4x4 ratshack truck together for my friends and daughter to play around with with I go crawling with my ax-10 and am at a bind... I'm trying to figure out how I can set up the steering in this truck because the original steering servo and setup was damaged. Any ideas would be very helpful. I'm trying to get this together for the weekend. It will be using a hobby grade servo and other electrics other than the stock motor that is in the truck.

I really don't wanna hear flaming about it or something like "scrap it" because I KNOW this is only a toy grade... Due to the fact that it runs off of a single driveshaft powered by the motor from the rear I can't relocate the axles to a different chassis like I originally intended..Unless someone has some sort of idea for that too..lol. I'm just at a stand still and can't seem to get any further. Please help if you can.

Here are some pics of the front end.

Here's one of the driveshaft....it runs straight through the middle of the chassis.

Thanks
-Tim
Tim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Here is my truck. I'll get a better picture of the servo mount. I took two pieces of aluminum (about 1/4" x 1" x 1/8") and drilled and tapped two 6-32 holes in each, at the same bolt spacing as the servo mount. Those pieces go inside the differential case. Holes are drilled through the plastic diff case. The servo mount is bolted through the diff case and into then to the aluminum inside.

Rat Shack torsion

The chassis is easy enough. I wasted time building a plastic chassis, which worked better than stock, but I still had independent suspension. Then I locked out the suspension and went BMVII style. Less work to build, and it works 10x better. I've had a lot of fun with mine, but I have way too much time in it for what it is.

Last edited by DumpsterRC; 04-03-2008 at 04:22 PM.
DumpsterRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

pics, this is with a tower pro servo

This picture of of the first servo mount I made. I thought I threw it away but I saw it on the bench so I took a quick pic of it.

you could possibly also attach one at the A-arm mounts, although that might not work well with independent suspension.
DumpsterRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You just made my day man! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for Thank you very much!!!!!!!

Much appreciated!
-Tim
Tim_B is offline   Reply With Quote