RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   Would Like the Veterans to Weigh In... (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/116564-would-like-veterans-weigh.html)

Rudukai13 04-25-2008 06:35 AM

Would Like the Veterans to Weigh In...

So what do you guys think would be one of the most challenging things to build? Like something that would really require some creative thinking and would be fun and interesting even for those of you that have been in this hobby for a long time? Any input is appreciated "thumbsup"

Rockcrawler 04-25-2008 07:41 AM

I have seen some scalers on here that I know took alot of time and creative thinking.

Shaun 04-25-2008 10:54 AM

Definitely a scaler. Or you could always go with a 1/4 or maybe a 1/2 scale crawler.

kurt 04-25-2008 10:59 AM

its only fun IMO to build something where you have to be creative, when you have a nice shop to fab things up with. If you just have your basic tools and a dremel, it can get frustrating, especially when you know exactly what you want to do and you don't have the tools to do it.

microgoat 04-25-2008 11:14 AM

The most challenging thing I can think of would be an "ultimate scale" build, where every component is scaled down perfectly. Driveshafts, shocks, axles, trans and t-case hidden inside a scale engine/tranny, and (here's the important bit) making it all durable enough to work.

I'm talking scale down to the hardware. If that means you have to source some M1.5 U-bolts for the leaf springs, sorry about your luck.

TwistedXT 04-25-2008 11:24 AM

a scale version of this:
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/data/a...ll_preview.jpg

of the ones made.. everyone would agree that "its harder to make something that is supposed to be crooked"

Rudukai13 04-25-2008 02:39 PM

Alright so I can safely say you guys are all thinking scale. How about some more specifics-maybe post some links to a 1:1 crawler that you think would be a challenge to yourself to build (yes I saw the Monster buggy). Thanks!

JavelinSST390 04-25-2008 03:00 PM

I already did mine... been working on it for a year... will still probably be working on it in another two years... It'll never be finished, and I plan to keep it running until I can no longer get parts for the WK trans and axles I'm running.... then I'll switch to different axles and tranny. "thumbsup"

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/SL380633.jpg

And yes, it IS very frustrating to try and make stuff when all you have is a hacksaw, a bench vise, a band saw that really doesn't cut straight very well, and a dremel and some files. Especially when you USED to have access to all that expensive stuff.

But once you get it done, and you crack open a beer and stand back and look at it....

MAN it feels GOOD!!!!!!

Rudukai13 04-25-2008 04:06 PM

That looks pretty cool. I'm thinking more of some sort of project that goes against all logic-something that challenges not only the hands but the mind as well. Anyone have any other ideas for that?

roborg5000 04-25-2008 05:49 PM

Not a "Veteran" but, this always caught my eye http://www.crabfu.com/steamtoys/ and I build scalers "thumbsup"

Etype R 04-25-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudukai13 (Post 1160426)
That looks pretty cool. I'm thinking more of some sort of project that goes against all logic-something that challenges not only the hands but the mind as well. Anyone have any other ideas for that?

You have yet to start a single build thread, start there :flipoff:

Rudukai13 04-25-2008 06:06 PM

Eh, no. I started a build thread. It was moved to the non-tech thread even though it had more tech then a majority of the threads in the tech section. Nobody would give me an explanation as to why it was moved and it wasn't moved back so I deleted it. I'll post a thread in the tech section when I have a rig finished, which I'm currently working on two.

DirkDigler 04-25-2008 06:18 PM

I'd say build a woman on your computer. Then make her do all kinds of things but just don't get your brother Chet mad. Then have a really big party and show all your friends how you have this hot, older girl friend. Then dump her and go for some high school age chick and drive her home in your Ferrari.

slobin3d 04-25-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirkDigler (Post 1160630)
I'd say build a woman on your computer. Then make her do all kinds of things but just don't get your brother Chet mad. Then have a really big party and show all your friends how you have this hot, older girl friend. Then dump her and go for some high school age chick and drive her home in your Ferrari.

:roll::lol:

Rudukai13 04-25-2008 06:24 PM

Yet another insightful...something from the dickler :roll:

DirkDigler 04-25-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudukai13 (Post 1160643)

Ok....so you want another one......

I'd make a rig that operates on 4 individualized power sources. Each wheel is powered and steered on it's own. It would use special foam tires and have a traditional suspension....but with an independent, center point in the chassis, that could conform and flex around terrain. It would also have terrain sensors that would lift and lower the rig, allowing it to be roll over proof. Lastly, it would have a self adjusting weight distribution control system that shifts weight to the appropriate area of the vehicle while travelling uphill, downhill and in sidehilling situations. Call me when you're finished buiding it.

slobin3d 04-25-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudukai13 (Post 1160643)

You started the thread with a loaded question, What I think would be killer and extremely difficult Microgoat has already built:flipoff::lol:

I think building something like the Wyatt bronco in a custom steel body would be badass but thats been done with and FJ, there is no answer to you're question:?

Rudukai13 04-25-2008 06:44 PM

I asked what the experienced builders thought would be a challenging build for themselves. Something that hasn't been done before, and there are plenty of things that have never been done before that would be plenty challenging enough for some of the best builders on the site.

DirkDigler 04-25-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudukai13 (Post 1160679)
I asked what the experienced builders thought would be a challenging build for themselves. Something that hasn't been done before, and there are plenty of things that have never been done before that would be plenty challenging enough for some of the best builders on the site.

I just gave the most challenging thing yer gonna get.......the Build a Woman project....or the second one I just gave you for free.

Rudukai13 04-25-2008 06:49 PM

I did mean something that could actually be DONE...