Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: car illiterate people piss me off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Angry car illiterate people piss me off

Just a little rant here about people that are to stupid and shouldnt be around cars or work on them

Ok so about 3 months ago i had a 67 chevy c10 pickup and it was in pretty good shape and the 350 in it ran like a charm.Well we were expecting a new addition to the family and i have 3 other kids from a previous marriage and our family car had broke down so the truck was out only means of transportation which means no room for 6 people. Well the wifes sister had just turned 18 and bought a 2000 grand Cherokee and after having it for a month she realized she got in over her head and couldn't afford it So we told her we need a new fam car would you be willing to trade cars we take over your pmts and we will just give you the truck so your jeep dont get repo'd. so she says sure, so her and her BF take the truck and we take the jeep.Skip ahead 3 months well they get married and decide that they dont like the truck and they buy a new 2008 focus so we ask what are you doing with the truck? She says nothing at all it is parked. Well i get excited because i have been kicking my self in the As$ everyday for getting rid of my truck. So we ask wanna sell it they say sure! so we offer them a 1000 bucks for the truck back and they say ok. So i go to pick it up and he tells me i gave it a tune up "New plugs,wires ETC" Im thinking ok thats good! well i go out try to start it to take it home and it takes 15 min to start it so im like wtf it never ever did this before i sold it! so i get it going and barley get it home it wouldn't hardly run. well the next day i check the wires the firing order is messed up 2 plugs were almost ready to fall out and he didn't snap the wires on the plugs he just set them on there and the plugs were gaped between .20 and .50 and they are supposed to be at .42. Well the inlaws come to visit and see we got the truck back and we tell them about the truck! Well here comes the good part i guess when he changed the plugs he called my inlaws and asked why the plugs shot out of the motor when he started it I mean WTF he didnt even tighten them down he just set them in there, and when asked if he gaped them he says"Whats that?" I mean how stupid can you really be? if you dont know how to do that sh!t dont do it!!! Well on my way home i find it has no brakes and check it out well the brake fluid reservoir is dry as a bone and it is all leaking out the rear tire (bad wheel cylinder) so who knows how long he drove it like that? no oil in it what so ever either.Now my sweet truck is a POS and looks like i need to go thru everything. he has messed with the carb it is all out of whack they let their fu#*in dog in there who proceeded to chew a hole in my F'N seat...Im ready to kill someone and cry at the same time:-(

Sorry for the long story but i had to vent!
Moral of the story if you dont know how to work on cars and dont know sh!t about them dont touch them period
01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2008, 01:15 AM   #2
RCC Addict

after all that there was even fuel in it to get ya home?
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

That sucks, I hope you get it running good soon.

I wont ever let anyone else work on my car. I have seen to much stupid shit.

I personally hate the dumb ass in the auto parts store. I have had 2 guys try and tell me that the Monte Carlo SS came with a 350. The Monte Carlo SS Never came with a 350, period.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Gapping spark plugs is now something you shouldn't be doing. They have thousands of part numbers to get you properly gapped and heat range plugs.

The problem is when gapping the toll will cause small scratches which do greatly effect spark flow. Granted in a daily driver you might not see the problem, but in high energy systems that are now common it will cause possible miss-fires.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
Official Cook of the ECC

You always gap plugs before you put them in. I have personally taken plugs out of the box and the gap be wrong or closed up completely. There is no telling what the box has been through before you get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Gapping spark plugs is now something you shouldn't be doing. They have thousands of part numbers to get you properly gapped and heat range plugs.

The problem is when gapping the toll will cause small scratches which do greatly effect spark flow. Granted in a daily driver you might not see the problem, but in high energy systems that are now common it will cause possible miss-fires.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Considering how many times sparkplugs get dropped and just tossed around before they finally make it to the customer, I hope everyone is at least checking for proper gaps before installing them.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I personally hate the dumb ass in the auto parts store. I have had 2 guys try and tell me that the Monte Carlo SS came with a 350. The Monte Carlo SS Never came with a 350, period.
The Monte Carlos SS made from 70 thru 72 was available with a 350. You probably just meant the SS made in the 80's.

As for parts people not knowing jack, well we get whats the parts companies pay for. Most of those guys dont make much more than minimum wage around here.
RivBlueNoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post

Had a parts boi aske me a few years back if the induction system off of my '85 2.2 Turbo Lebaron GTS would fit his 2.2 powered Cavalier once. I usually had to ask for Dodge Lancer ES parts for that car since there were so many "different" Lebarons made at that time. In some ways I'm glad I don't have to worry about that any more, not that Mitsubishi is selling their Lancers here in the States now Now I just get asked if I have a Grand CHerokee when I have to gett stuff for one of the three CHerokee's we've got
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I hope you didn't pay them to much for what you got back.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivBlueNoma View Post
Considering how many times sparkplugs get dropped and just tossed around before they finally make it to the customer, I hope everyone is at least checking for proper gaps before installing them.

The Monte Carlos SS made from 70 thru 72 was available with a 350. You probably just meant the SS made in the 80's.
sorry, I wasn't clear. I did mean the 4th gen Monte Carlo(1983-198

Quote:

I always check the gap, and 90% of the time its off.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01XJ View Post
Just a little rant here about people that are to stupid and shouldnt be around cars or work on them

Ok so about 3 months ago i had a 67 chevy c10 pickup and it was in pretty good shape and the 350 in it ran like a charm.Well we were expecting a new addition to the family and i have 3 other kids from a previous marriage and our family car had broke down so the truck was out only means of transportation which means no room for 6 people. Well the wifes sister had just turned 18 and bought a 2000 grand Cherokee and after having it for a month she realized she got in over her head and couldn't afford it So we told her we need a new fam car would you be willing to trade cars we take over your pmts and we will just give you the truck so your jeep dont get repo'd. so she says sure, so her and her BF take the truck and we take the jeep.Skip ahead 3 months well they get married and decide that they dont like the truck and they buy a new 2008 focus so we ask what are you doing with the truck? She says nothing at all it is parked. Well i get excited because i have been kicking my self in the As$ everyday for getting rid of my truck. So we ask wanna sell it they say sure! so we offer them a 1000 bucks for the truck back and they say ok. So i go to pick it up and he tells me i gave it a tune up "New plugs,wires ETC" Im thinking ok thats good! well i go out try to start it to take it home and it takes 15 min to start it so im like wtf it never ever did this before i sold it! so i get it going and barley get it home it wouldn't hardly run. well the next day i check the wires the firing order is messed up 2 plugs were almost ready to fall out and he didn't snap the wires on the plugs he just set them on there and the plugs were gaped between .20 and .50 and they are supposed to be at .42. Well the inlaws come to visit and see we got the truck back and we tell them about the truck! Well here comes the good part i guess when he changed the plugs he called my inlaws and asked why the plugs shot out of the motor when he started it I mean WTF he didnt even tighten them down he just set them in there, and when asked if he gaped them he says"Whats that?" I mean how stupid can you really be? if you dont know how to do that sh!t dont do it!!! Well on my way home i find it has no brakes and check it out well the brake fluid reservoir is dry as a bone and it is all leaking out the rear tire (bad wheel cylinder) so who knows how long he drove it like that? no oil in it what so ever either.Now my sweet truck is a POS and looks like i need to go thru everything. he has messed with the carb it is all out of whack they let their fu#*in dog in there who proceeded to chew a hole in my F'N seat...Im ready to kill someone and cry at the same time:-(

Sorry for the long story but i had to vent!
Moral of the story if you dont know how to work on cars and dont know sh!t about them dont touch them period
Am I the only one that sees the irony here?

It didn't occur to you to check the firing order when it wouldn't start? C'mon, car guy, there are only three things a car needs to run, fuel, air, and spark.

I almost certain that you smelled the fuel, so that should've narrowed it down.

Considering the condition you say it was in when when you went to pick it up, You didn't check the oil and other fluids?

How bad was that thing running when he got it? I can't believe you gave them a truck that needed a tune-up.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Am I the only one that sees the irony here?

It didn't occur to you to check the firing order when it wouldn't start? C'mon, car guy, there are only three things a car needs to run, fuel, air, and spark.

I almost certain that you smelled the fuel, so that should've narrowed it down.

Considering the condition you say it was in when when you went to pick it up, You didn't check the oil and other fluids?

How bad was that thing running when he got it? I can't believe you gave them a truck that needed a tune-up.
it was dark when we went and got it it needed gas so i drove it to the nearest gas station wherre i did check fluids and realized what it needed . so went across the street to walley world got oil,and brake fluid and put it all in. I wasnt about to pull plugs and try and figure out a firing order in the dark! As far as how it ran when he got it it ran like a champ....so why he changed everything out who knows? And after a few hrs of adjusting everything it is runnin about 90% better now i just need to adjust the carb and the running part should be back to normal Now to the interior got a ton of dog hair to clean up and a seat to fix. Well one good thing out of this he did buy the right spark plugs for motor
01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Beat me to it.

First thing I do to car that wont start is jiggle all the wires (sounds crude but you can feel if a connection is loose), and sniff the exhaust fumes to see if there's any petrol going through.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Been there. Used to be only women would say "it won't go". You mean it won't turn over or won't start?" I don't know it just won't go". ugh.
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote