Old 07-14-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 1:1 vid pretty scary

click for scary video
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Holy...! That sucks. Was anyone hurt when the throttle jammed? He crawled 2 crawlers...
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:08 PM   #3
R.I.P. Chip

I was standing right there and had to run out of the way.

He ran over 1 person, who suffered minor injuries.

Bob who was driving the car got beat up pretty bad himself. He was knocked completely out, major wack to the forehead, black eyes, and a bunch of broken ribs.

It could have been WAY worse than it was.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:08 PM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

yes that was Bon standage from this past UROC event in Portland. Ryan had done posted this video somewhere on this site :?

the Xplex is talking about raising the spectators section like 10-12' above where it is. that way if future events like that happen again. just glad noone was seriously hurt.
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

You're right. A full blown rig out of control has to do a lot of damage. The front end of the truck seemed pretty well torn up. I don't have much of a clue about 1:1/real deal. How badly was that buggy actually damaged?
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
R.I.P. Chip

The buggy is majorly messed up. The enitre shock tower on the drivers side was ripped off the chassis. The front steering knuckle was messed up as was the steering arm. The wheel was broken, the steering ram was bent up. This was all the stuff I saw real quick as I was grabbing Bobs son and getting him away from the accident.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:16 PM   #7
Colt Python/SR9c

I couldn't tell ya for sure. I was standing just on the other side of that hill talking with Aaron while he was waiting in line to run. I know bob has both eyes black,forehead is black and said he was very very sore. possibly has a few broken ribs aswell.but he was starting to turn black that night right after
Old 07-14-2005, 02:19 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Ya I'm glad no one was hurt. There are already to many deaths from crawling. Unfortunately most of which are good people in the wrong place at the wrong time. My club was up at the Con a few years ago when a guy rolled his Yota and had just unbuckled his seatbelt to lean out to see where to go when it rolled. He was killed almost instantly and left a wife and baby boy.

Remember people if you have kids wear your seatbelts. If not go nutz!
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:27 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

that rig is weak!

He couldn't even crawl over that last obsticle!
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:55 PM   #10
CSR
RCC Addict

Ya, it was VERY scary! I was over behind the course, walking back from the pit area. From where I was standing it looked like the buggy was plowing over people... I saw the woman running just in front of the buggy, lost sight of her then I saw the rig bounce up, thought for sure she had got hit.

The one guy that did get hit was up on his feet walking around immediately after the accident. They said he had a nice looking dusty BFG Krawler track up his back.
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:17 PM   #11

The crazier the crawl'n gets at the competitions and rock races they really need to consider installing remote kill switches on the rigs. As the sport goes more and more mainstream an incident like that killing some spectators would just about end it all.
BlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:24 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheep
The crazier the crawl'n gets at the competitions and rock races they really need to consider installing remote kill switches on the rigs. As the sport goes more and more mainstream an incident like that killing some spectators would just about end it all.
just like monster trucks
Herzog-racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:44 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeDigler
that rig is weak!

He couldn't even crawl over that last obsticle!

I heard about this and now I finally seen the video... HOLY $HIT...

I've been saying for about the last year that these full throttle attacks on rock walls is getting out of hand!!! I think they should be totally eliminated from the comps! This is suppose to be rock crawling, not who as the biggest balls to reach the top of a vert wall. If you want to do that get into those iceland lava hill climber comps.

I have gotten flamed for saying that in the past but I don't care, this is getting out of hand with people getting hurt and near misses!

Its a good thing that those buggies where there infront of that tent even though they where asked to move so spectactor scould see better. if they were not there, then I'm sure someone would have been killed! Heck another 10-12 feet that they are proposing is simply not enough room IMO if they continue these vert wall attackes! I know that brings the crowds in but IMO its getting out of control. I sure hope this unfortionate event regulates this somehow even if its only to force competitors to have remote kill switches, but something has to be done!

There is some more discussion about this over here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374156

Oh and yes, that is some amazing footage and I'm glad no buddy was killed!
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:38 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
is there any other place to see this?
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #15
Colt Python/SR9c

well it was a bonus wall, he didn't have to take it.

besides, if all the drivers don't like these types of things, don't run them. UROC and others will take the hint. they keep building them because the competitors keep climbing them and because the crowd loves them. every motorsport has had its' mishaps. rock crawling is considered an extreme sport and **** happens when things get extreme.plus in extreme sports like this, it is always much better if the guy driving actually has his seatbelts tightened down. not saying it still wouldn't have happened, just saying that didn't help things
Old 07-15-2005, 11:45 AM   #16
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069
is there any other place to see this?
http://www.rccrawlermedia.com/rcc-al...dage_large.wmv
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:00 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
well it was a bonus wall, he didn't have to take it.
I'm not totally talking about the individuals that is competeing, but the spectators!

True, he didn't have to try it! But what about the guy that got ran over!

I just want to see this stuff STOPPED before a someone gets killed, or even worse, a small child got serveral injured or killed.....
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:12 PM   #18
Colt Python/SR9c

then other need to take precautions for the spectators then. make bleachers farther away.. put up some type of barrier wall. Do not allow other people from other teams and such to be sitting there ontop of the action. make them stay away like they do with your average spectator. They don't need to be standing there like that one guy watching that got ran over. They wasn't driving the obstacle,bob was. only his spotter and him needed to be there. but everyone was amazed at this 85 degree wall, so everyone stood there

anything can happen at anytime. a person could rollover on the smallest technical spot and the same thing happen.so there is no need to just blame the walls for it. yes it is a bit too much to have a 85 degree wall and you can get the same carnage and feel for it with other types of obstacles. but since the drivers keep making it up these obstacles and WOWing the crowd and pumping them up, UROC and others will keep building them.

I don't want to see anyone injuried or worse, but things happen no matter how much effort you put into it. like nascar,monster trucks,etc.etc.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:47 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the link..

they could go to the remote shutdowns like the ones used for the monster truck races to. thats how they keep them out of the stands.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote