Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 1988 toyota pick up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default 1988 toyota pick up

im looking at a 88 yoda and i was wondering what the problems with them are it 1988 toyota pickup, v6 5 speed manual 4x4 locking hubs, truck has 140k on it, runs fantastic, new clutch less than 30k.timing belt was done at 90k all new fluids, belts,plugs wires,cap,rotor, wipers, chrysler radio w/cd player new battery , radiator petcock
2fknqwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Well sounds like truck has been takin care of. How much are they asking for the truck. If you think its a good deal then get it. Pictures would be best for us to see as we can not see truck and give a good opinion.
John Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fknqwk View Post
im looking at a 88 yoda and i was wondering what the problems with them are it 1988 toyota pickup, v6 5 speed manual 4x4 locking hubs, truck has 140k on it, runs fantastic, new clutch less than 30k.timing belt was done at 90k all new fluids, belts,plugs wires,cap,rotor, wipers, chrysler radio w/cd player new battery , radiator petcock
when i had mine the only problem was rust....
Bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Rust is definitely an issue with those trucks, and some of the V-6's had head gasket troubles. Otherwise, pretty stout trucks. Just do a normal check over, brakes, belts, tires, hoses, ETC... It's never a bad idea to take it to a good mechanic, it's a lot easier to see some problems when a vehicle is up on a lift, such as wreck damage, leaks and such. Also, an 88 with only 140k the timing belt might need to done anyways, they age harden and crack over time, so pay attention to when it was done, not just the millage. Good luck.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
Rust is definitely an issue with those trucks, and some of the V-6's had head gasket troubles. Otherwise, pretty stout trucks. Just do a normal check over, brakes, belts, tires, hoses, ETC... It's never a bad idea to take it to a good mechanic, it's a lot easier to see some problems when a vehicle is up on a lift, such as wreck damage, leaks and such. Also, an 88 with only 140k the timing belt might need to done anyways, they age harden and crack over time, so pay attention to when it was done, not just the millage. Good luck.
All of the 3.0's suck ass.
or,crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

he wants 2000 and it has a set of 30" bfgs on it or 1500 for the truck with snow crushers on it
Old 06-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

timming belt was done at 90K
Old 06-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Winner of the '07 RCC dumbass award!

Quote:
Originally Posted by or,crawler View Post
All of the 3.0's suck ass.
I replaced one for a guy, it had like 120k on it and two cylinders were dead!
0 psi in hole 3 and 5!!

Never heard anything good about the 3.0 v6.

IMO you would be FAR better off with a 22r. Not to mention gas prices!

When I test drove it with the new motor, it was not much more powerful then a 4cyl. it was a dog.

I felt bad sending it back because I kept thinking there was something wrong with it still, but when he came and picked it up he was so happy and said he had his old truck back. He said it had the same power it had when he got it before it blew.

Everyone is buying new cars n' trucks.

Hold out for a nice 22r EFI model.

WC
WheelChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
RCC Addict

The 3.0 isn't such a bad motor. It's not real powerful, and the gas millage isn't great, but that's true of the 22RE, which has it's own problems (timing chain) If the head gaskets are good, the 3.0 is a fairly good motor. The 3.4 taco motor is a lot better though.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #10

The 22r/re motors put out decent power, the gas milage is WAY better then the 3.0 v6 and its hard to kill a stock build one.

I have never seen any other motor put up with so much abuse.

I have run them out of oil, overheated them excessively because of exploded radiator, and even seen them run upside down!

Still, on monday its ready to drive to work.

We have 4.88's and 35 AT's no lift on the toy right now and we pull any pass around at 55.

I'm not saying I never killed one... but when something happened, I ALWAYS got home.

I would LOVE to see a 3.0 v6 survive one weekend with me driving.

The choice is up to you, two more gerbils or RELIABILITY.

WC
Old 06-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelChair View Post
The 22r/re motors put out decent power, the gas milage is WAY better then the 3.0 v6 and its hard to kill a stock build one.

I have never seen any other motor put up with so much abuse.

I have run them out of oil, overheated them excessively because of exploded radiator, and even seen them run upside down!

Still, on monday its ready to drive to work.

We have 4.88's and 35 AT's no lift on the toy right now and we pull any pass around at 55.

I'm not saying I never killed one... but when something happened, I ALWAYS got home.

I would LOVE to see a 3.0 v6 survive one weekend with me driving.

The choice is up to you, two more gerbils or RELIABILITY.

WC
I hear what you're saying, but you must admit the stock 83 on single row 22R/RE timing chain was crap. The 20R and early 22R did not have issues in that department. And as I said before, the only real problem with the 3.0 is a lack of power for it's size and head gasket issues, much like several other toyota engines of the time. You shouldn't write off an entire engine just because of one problem that toyota had a recall for, and fixed! IF a 3.0 has not been abused, it should be fine.

As for me, I'll keep my Nissan
Old 06-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

That year(198 is the better year for the 3.0L as it wasn't part of the recall. Toyota changed something in mid-89 which caused a reaction.

I've owned both 22R series engines and a 3.0L V6. If I wanted another Toyota, I wouldn't care which motor it had. I've had great luck with all the 22R motors and the 3.0L I've had. I've slowly been looking for a '88 V6.

My 3.0L rig would pull 26 MPG when it had 31's on it then towards the end of it's life it was pulling 22 MPG very consistant and that was with 35" swampers and 4.56 gearing. I was at the 325K mark when it let go for the first time.

Don't listen to those that are not REAL Toyota people. The 3.0L engine does have issues but there are "tricks" to beating the issue that Toyota caused. The 22R/RE engines are great as is the 3.0L V6 engine. Proper maintenance is key to every engine.

Best thing and first thing to do to the 3.0L is to buy headers. Not for power because getting power out of the 3.0L is like making a rock float. The headers will remove all that heat from the back of the heads which in stock form the passenger side manifold runs right behind the back of the heads where 99% of the head gasket issues start. Once you do that, just keep it running right. If you are not able to properly work on the 3.0L yourself, take it to either a Toyota dealer OR a Toyota/Lexus private shop only. These people will know how to work on the rig.

If you need parts, let me know. I'm rather good at knowing things about Toyota's and finding things. I have a big Toyota name on my shirt while at work
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:05 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fknqwk View Post
timming belt was done at 90K
I was trying to make a point. Timing belts are rubber, and they don't just wear out from millage. Take a look at some old tires some time and notice the cracking. That's not from use, thats from age. Timing belts do the same thing.
Figuring the truck has 140k miles, and is 20 years old, you find that truck has been driven 7k miles per year, which means the timing belt is probably about 7 or 8 years old, quite possibly older.
I'm not saying it needs a timing belt, I'm just saying it should be physically inspected, because the consequences of a timing belt failure can be very expensive. If it's cracked, replace it, otherwise leave it alone. I can't imagine why anyone would take a risk on this when it could mean bent valves and sometimes piston/rod damage.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 06-16-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:16 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
.....because the consequences of a timing belt failure can be very expensive. If it's cracked, replace it, otherwise leave it alone. I can't imagine why anyone would take a risk on this when it could mean bent valves and sometimes piston/rod damage.

The 3.0L wouldn't have this issue
Old 06-16-2008, 03:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post

Don't listen to those that are not REAL Toyota people.

My first vehicle was an 83' Toyota high boy, I've had many since then but still pimp the grill off my original.

I've put in head gaskets on the side of the road at night.

I've replaced the tranny and transfercase in a gas station parking lot. It was about 10 below zero so we had the propane heater with a tarp. Started at about 7PM. Cop stopped by about half way though and got a good laugh. Got done at around 11pm, loaded everything up and hit the trail, went home 80 miles, slept for a two hours then drove another 100 miles to another trail down in the springs.

Over Half the driveway is Toyota.

My Full Size Wheelchair is Toyota based.

Not a REAL Toyota person?

Ok there Mr. Dealership guy.

I believe anything you say!

Last edited by WheelChair; 06-16-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelChair View Post
My first vehicle was an 83' Toyota high boy, I've had many since then but still pimp the grill off my original.

I've put in head gaskets on the side of the road at night.

I've replaced the tranny and transfercase in a gas station parking lot. It was about 10 below zero so we had the propane heater with a tarp. Started at about 7PM. Cop stopped by about half way though and got a good laugh. Got done at around 11pm, loaded everything up and hit the trail, went home 80 miles, slept for a two hours then drove another 100 miles to another trail down in the springs.

Over Half the driveway is Toyota.

My Full Size Wheelchair is Toyota based.

Not a REAL Toyota person?

Ok there Mr. Dealership guy.

I believe anything you say!

Dude... plain and simple you are a dirty. Your rigs sound nasty. You sound nasty. You have no idea how to properly maintain a rig to make it safe and sound for road travel..... at least that's how you make it sound.

Why are you fixing things along side the road if they are so well built? Because I know as does everyone else, you are the king of knowing how to do everything correctly. No matter what I say or what anyone else says.... you will always THINK you are right, even if you are so fawking wrong about everything, you will think you are right.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:56 PM   #17
Web Wheeling

WC, you are a fawking moron.

My DD is a 89 Toyota pickup with a V6, 249k on the clock, stock 4.10's in the diffs and 33x12.5 tires. I've done the math to correct for the odometer when figuring out my gas millage multiple times. And I tend to get 17-19mpg with mixed driving, just recently I got 19.5mpg out of it.

The only reason I would rather have a 22re in my truck, is the fact that it would be cheaper to get a dual case setup, or just lower gears in the Tcase. But I don't know if thats worth the loss of power, going from the 3.0?
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:01 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
The 3.0L wouldn't have this issue
My mistake. I freely admit the only toyotas I really know are land cruisers. I'm happily enjoying working in an independent shop, without dealership drama. Life is good.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My mistake. I freely admit the only toyotas I really know are land cruisers. I'm happily enjoying working in an independent shop, without dealership drama. Life is good.

That drama is only in the sales dept & service dept. The parts dept tends to have little to no drama, except when the pranks are in full swing.

I deal with several LC guys from around the country ordering parts and researching parts for them. I hate LC's because of it, but I enjoy the hunt.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:18 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:

I deal with several LC guys from around the country ordering parts and researching parts for them. I hate LC's because of it, but I enjoy the hunt.
I will live a happy life if I never have to scare up a full set of wheel cylinders for another 60's FJ-40 What dealer are you at? I used to work here