RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   COG ?? You mean CG? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/130572-cog-you-mean-cg.html)

crud 08-08-2008 10:20 AM

COG ?? You mean CG?

Why does the RC crawling community refer to "center of gravity" as COG, instead of CG like everyone else? COG is a tooth on a gear, or what an electric motor does when it "jerks". Since we have both gears and electric motors that we deal with on RC crawlers, it seems like it would make sense to use the term CG to avoid confusion. I know this is being anal, but I was just wondering how this got started. If you were to tell someone you were from the United States of America, would you say "I'm from the USOA"?

toytech93 08-08-2008 10:23 AM

You're right,crud. But trying to teach 100's of newbies the proper terms is a very large task. Good Luck !

BoNuS LiNe 08-08-2008 10:25 AM

because the rest of the motorsports industry uses the term cog would be my guess.

it is a commonly used term

yes cog is a tooth of a gear ,in this hobby everyone says tooth of a gear lol

maybe they should change the term for when a brushless motor cog's to something like stalls

Krawler Freak 08-08-2008 10:45 AM

heres an idea

who cares as long as we know what their talking about

tamato tomato

whoodie 08-08-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoNuS LiNe (Post 1294384)
because the rest of the motorsports industry uses the term cog would be my guess...

Nope, its CG everywhere else.

crud 08-08-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoNuS LiNe (Post 1294384)
because the rest of the motorsports industry uses the term cog would be my guess.

Not true.

crud 08-08-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krawler Freak (Post 1294395)
heres an idea

who cares as long as we know what their talking about

tamato tomato

It's not a huge deal. I was just wondering, so I thought I'd ask.
I do have another question: If someone doesn't care about a thread, why would they post in it?

TMXONR 08-08-2008 11:06 AM

It is weird. It is usually easy to tell what the person is talking about thought. COG could mean a number of things, as can CG. As for Cogging reffering to brushless motors stalling, from what I have learned that is an incorrect term also. The studdering when the motor stalls is just that, stalling. Cogging is when you spin the motor by hand and you feel the bumpy resistance in it (like spinning a brushed motor).

crud 08-08-2008 11:23 AM

I can always tell what someone is referring to, so I guess it's a non issue. I was just stating something I noticed, because I'm bored at work. I Didn't mean to stirr the pot. I am new to the RC world, so I am by no means an expert. I have just been around 1:1 crawlers a little, and been around drag racing my whole life, and have always heard everyone refer to it as CG. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining! I love this site, and have probably learned a lot from the people who are using the COG term! It may not be incorrect. I've just never seen it used before.

SuperBad 08-08-2008 12:03 PM

cg means computer generated and cog means center of gravity :flipoff:

BritCrawler 08-08-2008 12:06 PM

The problem has arisen from the fact that one correct abbreviation for Centre of Gravity is CoG wit ha lowercase 'o'. Lowercase 'o' is often used in acronyms to represent 'of' so CoG is correct, technically. The problem is some people don't understand the importance of the case of the letters, either because school didn't tach them that or that they think they know, or assume they know, better. Some people seem think acronym = capitals letters. Incorrect. Acronyms are abbreviations made using the initial letter of each word. If that letter is lower case, as 'of' is, then it STAYS lower case.

CG and CoG are correct acronyms of 'Centre of Gravity'. COG is bloody wrong, got it? ;)

I agree that as long as everyone understands each other we are okay, but I thought I'd point out just why it's ended up being typed wrong so many times.

DISCLAIMER: If you are in any way offended by this post or my tone then please plant your head in a bucket of iced water, count to 10 and then dry yourself off and come to your senses. I'm only joking around :)

dpdsurf 08-08-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crud (Post 1294414)
I do have another question: If someone doesn't care about a thread, why would they post in it?

Well, since we are being "anal", he did not say that he did not care about the thread, only that he did not care how someone abbreviated something as long as you knew what they were referring to. "thumbsup"

...and you are correct that CG is the defined abbreviation. :lol:

crud 08-08-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBad (Post 1294507)
cg means computer generated and cog means center of gravity :flipoff:

So if I was using Auto-cad to find my center of gravity on my old Jimmy, my result would be my GMCCGCoG.;-)

crud 08-08-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpdsurf (Post 1294526)
Well, since we are being "anal", he did not say that he did not care about the thread, only that he did not care how someone abbreviated something as long as you knew what they were referring to. "thumbsup"

I realized that after my comment.:oops: I was hoping no one would notice.:evil:

Rockpiledriver 08-08-2008 12:40 PM

chit chat.

skid 08-08-2008 12:43 PM

If you're gonna be a tightwad, shouldn't it be C.O.G. or C.G.?

mattnin 08-08-2008 01:54 PM

Race Car Vehicle Dynamics refers to it as CG.

badger 08-08-2008 02:18 PM

Is COG important in bed?

Robb 08-08-2008 02:22 PM

Actually, in reference to reading posts on the forum, I like the term COG better because it easily stands out from GC, which is often used here also.

Reflection 08-08-2008 03:26 PM

I prefer "center of gravity" or "ground clearance" over COG or GC because typing out letters in place of properly typed words shows laziness. Just like everyone using instant messaging shorthand. Laziness,thats all it is.