Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Quality 12 volt cooler????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Quality 12 volt cooler????

Anyone know what would be a quality 12vt cooler for the Crawler Van?? I dont "wanna" spend a fortune but a "C"-note would not be too bad but, if I have to spend more I will. I would prefer it to open on the top like a traditional cooler

Anyone??
The Real Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

How big of one do you want? I have a Rubber Maid one that I have been using for a few years in the "Big Truck" and it holds just under 12 12 oz cans. It will actually freeze sodas if left in there all day with the truck running at just under 14 volts.

It is nice and compact so it fits nicely next to the seat or will fit inbetween the seats of a dodge mini van.
Rat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
RCC Addict

yeah big enough to hold plenty of sodas but need it to fit between the seats of the van, maybe 25-30qt size..
Old 08-31-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Dogman View Post
Anyone know what would be a quality 12vt cooler for the Crawler Van?? I dont "wanna" spend a fortune but a "C"-note would not be too bad but, if I have to spend more I will. I would prefer it to open on the top like a traditional cooler

Anyone??
I tried a few, and if its hot, they will not do a thing. They cool to about 20degrees below the temp around the truck. In my case thats 120+ in the AZ sun.
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
RCC Addict

This the one I run in my truck, 5 days a week/12-15 hours a day. It works great so far. It's a typical thermoelectric cooler and will cool down to 40 degrees F below the outside air temp
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ategoryid=8570
I've been using it for 6+ months now and no problems or complaints, either

Last edited by montana.matt; 08-31-2008 at 03:21 PM.
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Are you talking about a fridge-freeze? I have a Norcold 40 quart...it's 25"L x 19"H x 14.25"W. It's dual power 120AC/12DC. Thing works awesome. Got it off Craigs List for a mere $150. (not for sale either)

Of the brands out there, I'd say Norcold...Engle...and Waeco if you want a good one.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmales View Post
I tried a few, and if its hot, they will not do a thing. They cool to about 20degrees below the temp around the truck. In my case thats 120+ in the AZ sun.
Not sure which one's you're talking about. The "quality" one's out there do MUCH better than that. The one I have can start to freeze a bottle of water in about 20 minutes. If you leave it in the car out of the sun and make yourself (or buy) an outer blanket wrap for them, they do very well.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Offroader, Now see thats what I'm talking about,, Quality for reasonable, Norcold is on my research list!! Thank you good sir and if it works that well for you being in AZ then I shoudl def, look into a Norcold!! Wanna sell me yours?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Yup, keep checking Craigs List. My buddy told me about finding one on there for cheap and I was pissed that he'd gotten the good deal. He started looking for me and ended up finding one in Wickenburg. Then, after that...he found another one cheap (I think $75), and ended up just selling it.

They are out there, just gotta find someone who's selling (and may not know what they have )