Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: RCC Browsing by Mobile Devices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
20K Club

Default RCC Browsing by Mobile Devices

This is just a general question and to see if anyone has any expierence with it.

I probably browse this forum at least half the time with a Mobile device, I use a AT&T Tilt running windows mobile 6 and I used a Samsung Blackjack with Mobile 5 before that.

My Mobile 6 device is faster than my Mobile 5 was (both are 3G, with 3G support here in KC) but still not blazing of course.

My question is, is there or has anyone been on a VB forum that had any type of add-on that allowed for faster browsing on mobile devices? Something that recognizes you are browsing by mobile and changes to a low bandwidth more stripped back version of the forum.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

My blackberry automatically removes lots of background colors in order to load faster. But, it still isn't blazing fast. If its worth it to you, you may be able to disable images, which will make it load very quickly. But as far as forum specific apps, I have no idea where to even look for such a thing.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
20K Club

I know blackberry has its own op system and handles sites much differently. My wifes pearl is the same way. I am wondering if there is anything that can be installed on the server side.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
R.I.P. Chip

PM Badger, he'll help you out.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I regularly browse using Opera Mini on a motorola Q. Since it is a java program you need a Java environment to run it in. I use JBED and it works rather well.

You can download JBed from here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=407667

Since Opera mini is designed for mobile phones it does a very nice job or rendering pages efficiently.

If you choose to try this out you will need to install Jbed first. Then go to mini.opera.com from your mobile and download Opera mini. It will automatically launch Jbed and install the java app into it.

When you want to run Opera Mini open Jbed and select opera. After that it's just like any other browser.

Let me know if you have any questions.
MrDublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
PM Badger, he'll help you out.
I'll give that a shot :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDublin View Post
I regularly browse using Opera Mini on a motorola Q. Since it is a java program you need a Java environment to run it in. I use JBED and it works rather well.

You can download JBed from here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=407667

Since Opera mini is designed for mobile phones it does a very nice job or rendering pages efficiently.

If you choose to try this out you will need to install Jbed first. Then go to mini.opera.com from your mobile and download Opera mini. It will automatically launch Jbed and install the java app into it.

When you want to run Opera Mini open Jbed and select opera. After that it's just like any other browser.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I am running Opera 8.65 actually. It runs just like my internet explorer did (as in not through java). It is much mre efficent though I do agree. Plus the tabs like firefox are great.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
Custom Carbon Fiber

there are a few templates and a vB mod that will recognize the mobil device and automatically change things.

i run them on the vB boards i operate, i could forward some links if helpful..
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

That is opera mobile and it's not java based. Opera mobile is actually designed to work on regular phones that don't run Windows Mobile, so it needs to have a small foot print.

If you want to try it without needing to register at xda-developers I can email the file to you.

I have used both and I still prefer Opera Mini.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
Who's your Daddy-0!

At a comp this weekend using my Moto Q and I was bouncing around Crawler faster than the guys on laptops! Full page, full color.....
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
At a comp this weekend using my Moto Q and I was bouncing around Crawler faster than the guys on laptops! Full page, full color.....
Yeah, you were smokin' that For Sale forum like nobody's business.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

i used to use my blackberry a majority of the time, i'd bounce between RCC and SinCityRCRC all day long. but i got rid of it to lower my phone bill. its kinda nice paying under $100/month.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #12
Who's your Daddy-0!

$99 a month unlimited
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

My iPhone works well on this site for browsing.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
20K Club

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
My iPhone works well on this site for browsing.
Mine browses fine to, I personally think much better and faster than an iPhone. If I could speed it up even more though you could see the advantage.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

God damn it's expensive for you. I pay 9,9 euros/month (no discounts/friend-discounts or anything): Unlimited access: GSM-data/EDGE/3G/HSDPA... Whatever is the best connection at that location.
Using Nokia N82 with Nokia browser / Opera, never had a problem with the forum .
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Did anybody sign up for Skyfire? I have it and it is fantastic. Supports flash, java, pre-renders pages for faster load times, so you can watch Youtube vids without any real slowdown or sluggish load times.
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerguy851 View Post
Did anybody sign up for Skyfire? I have it and it is fantastic. Supports flash, java, pre-renders pages for faster load times, so you can watch Youtube vids without any real slowdown or sluggish load times.
I have skyfire as well. I like a lot of things about it, but I still find myself using Opera Mini most of the time. I think it's because skyfire seems to take a while to start up and can't seem to make a connection half the time.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:36 AM   #18

Harley, you need to flash a new ROM onto that tilt. You think that it is good now, a new ROM will do you wonders. Google XDA-Developers and you will find a forum for wm phones. There is a section titled Kaiser, which is the tilt. It will take you an hour or two to complete it, but is well worth it. If you need help let me know. And Opera is faster than PIE any day.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #19
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
Harley, you need to flash a new ROM onto that tilt. You think that it is good now, a new ROM will do you wonders. Google XDA-Developers and you will find a forum for wm phones. There is a section titled Kaiser, which is the tilt. It will take you an hour or two to complete it, but is well worth it. If you need help let me know. And Opera is faster than PIE any day.
I am looking at that forum now. WTF are these guys talking about

I use to hack my motorola phones (Razr and such) but this is going to take a minute to learn what to do.

The phone is kind of slow right now, sluggish to react. I would be extremely happy if this helped that out. Hopefully I can learn what all those things are good for.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I had a wizard based phone last year. I tried maybe 6 or so custom roms from this site. They are usually a mixed bag, good things and bad things. If you want to speed things up you might look at one of the lighter weight roms that frees up more system memory.

On the other side, I have found that all WM phones need to be hard reset every so often to get your performance back.

If your interested, be sure to do a lot of reading before loading these custom roms. The first few times you load one can be a little scary for fear of bricking your phone. As long as you can get it into boot mode you should be able to recover it if something goes wrong.