Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Can a 10lb CO2 tank be turned into a Nitrous tank?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Hell's Gnome

Default Can a 10lb CO2 tank be turned into a Nitrous tank?

The place I was going to call is closed for the holiday weekend, soooo... figured I would ask here until I can call monday.
I have a 10lb. liquid CO2 tank that is very close to new, just had it recertified. I used it to fill tires after the trail ride. Can I save a little money and empty it, of course, and refill it with Nitrous and use this for a tank to run a engine feeding system off of? I see the pressures needed for useing nitrous and they are right at if not lower than liquid co2. I know the co2 can frost over when used continously so I would think it can handle the cold factor also. The tank I have even has guages for the correct pressure ranges. The only drawback I can think of at the moment is the need for a bottom of the tank pickup tube because it is just a top feeder now, but that still would be cheaper that a whole tank assy. I am also guessing the tank would need to be properly labeled, but I don't think that would be to hard to do. The tank is in great shape and is all but totaly empty now.
Would this idea work? If so, are there any other things I would need to change for this to work?
Throwing this out there because I'm bored, and sometimes you guys are a wealth of ignorance on some off the wall stuff.
LumTheMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I would think you'd be hard pressed to find a shop willing to fill it just cause it's not a nitrous tank.

Binaryterror in....3.....
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Not sure on the tank.
If I had to guess I would say it would be fine.
As for the Dip tube goes you do not have to have one just invert the bottle.
We have had a few mother tanks come in to fill the 10lbs bottles out of that had no dip tube and we just flip them upside down and fill away.

On a second note if you look around you can buy nitrous bottles for 50-100 bucks pretty easy.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
Hell's Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
Not sure on the tank.
On a second note if you look around you can buy nitrous bottles for 50-100 bucks pretty easy.
I haven't found any that cheap, but I have been looking at new bottles too. Any money I can save would be a big plus at the moment.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Here is a link to new bottles

http://www.racingjunk.com/post/13740...s-bottles.html
Old 11-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Out of curiosity do you have the other stuff to setup a nitrous kit?

Plate or nozzle
Lines
solenoids
W.O.T.S.
Fuel pressure guage
Jets ????????
Old 11-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
Hell's Gnome

Quote:
Out of curiosity do you have the other stuff to setup a nitrous kit?

Plate or nozzle
Lines
solenoids
W.O.T.S.
Fuel pressure guage
Jets ????????
Not yet. I have found a ZEX kit with all that and it is available with out the tank for less money. That may be the way I go because it's about $100 more for the kit with a bottle. Mostly I'm searching for/researching all the parts right now.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I have probably sprayed more nitrous than everybody on here put together.

If you are new to nitrous and it sounds like you are. Just save your money and buy a complete kit. That way you have everything you need and cuts out any guess work.

I do not know what you are planning on putting this in? But if you are trying to save money talk to the guys over at Cold fusion nitrous. There kits have good quality Solenoids which is very important and they are affordable.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
Hell's Gnome

New to nitrous, yes, not new to anything else with cars, trucks, 4x4, I think thats why I would like to go with it something new that has more real results for the buck and I need to keep the daily driveability of my peon SRT4. Best time so far is a pair of 14.3 back to back, I'd like to get into the low 13s. I don't really race, it's just what I have chosen to work with.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
Who's your Daddy-0!

I work part time at CompuCar, we have some kit's for pretty cheap. If you want simple check out our "Bag Kits". Add about 100hp+ in about 15min. http://www.compucarnitrous.com/

And I have also sprayed a lot of nitrous
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #12
Hell's Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
I work part time at CompuCar, we have some kit's for pretty cheap. If you want simple check out our "Bag Kits". Add about 100hp+ in about 15min. http://www.compucarnitrous.com/

Dam, thats heavy stuff! I'm gonna wimp out for now. I was thinking about a 50-75 shot wet kit.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Is not heavy until you start getting over 350hp+
Old 11-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumTheMad View Post
New to nitrous, yes, not new to anything else with cars, trucks, 4x4, I think thats why I would like to go with it something new that has more real results for the buck and I need to keep the daily driveability of my peon SRT4. Best time so far is a pair of 14.3 back to back, I'd like to get into the low 13s. I don't really race, it's just what I have chosen to work with.
What do you mean when you say more real results for the buck I am confused?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post

Feels good huh
Old 11-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #16
Hell's Gnome

A wet system would be a stand alone system. Insted of larger turbo, large fmic, new intake tubes, reworked engine controler or SAFC, and the posibility of not likeing it as a daily driver when done. This is what I will eventually be doing, I think.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #17
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Feels good huh
Love it I like it when the turbo guys talk crap about using the bottle And when I said 100hp+ with the kit, it comes with a slew of different jets for it. You can start at about 20hp and go to 100hp with that kit. Any V-8 can take 100-150 being stock. I would stick with 100 shot but I've seen 150 shot on a stock Stang run for years with 0 trouble. But just like Joe when you get into the 300+ shots 2-3-4 stage then it's just sick!!!! Dollar for dollar there is no other mod you can do that will give you that much HP. Oh, and the bag kit is a dry kit. You run a line to your intake behind your censors, wire up your solenoid or plug it into your cigarette lighter plug, and hit the button! That easy Nitrous in-a-bag (Pro Street Heat)
The Pro Street Heat was designed to be the simplest nitrous system on the market to use and install. This is a "dry system" injecting only nitrous into the motor. It works by "tricking" the computer back into the cold start mode. In cold start mode, the computer injects more fuel into the motor just like a carburetor does when the choke is on. Other sensors detect the oxygen rich air and adjust the fuel mixture and timing to compensate for this extra income of oxygen making this system near fool proof on performance. This kit comes with jetting from small, medium, large, extra large, and kickin ass. This will give you approximately 20 to 100 HP on your motor. Installation on this kit takes 10 minutes to complete and the kit can easily be place onto other vehicles in the same amount of time. This kit is designed to work on any EFI (fuel injected) vehicle. Key Benefits
  • This is a great beginner kit.
  • The design of this kit means no adjustments to the motor.
  • No one will know you have the kit on the car
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

There is nothing like sitting on the trans brake at 4500 RPM in a small tired car knowing that 2tenths after you let off that button you are going to release hell on earth and then in another 2tenths it is going to get even better.
And you are hoping it goes straight and nothing comes apart.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #19
~THE SCALE SHOP~

not sure what psi co2 are rated at. i wouldnt do it. spend the money. plus the c02 wont have the high flow valve etc. your 100 shot would be like 60 shot. plus it wont have the blow down tube etc.

i just upgraded my system. a simple NOS 5177 100 dry shot kit. to a nitrous outlet 90mm plate setup 250 wet kit! has 6 nitrous ports and 6 fuel ports machined internally. ought to make a big difference, and drop 2+ seconds off my NA times. if #7 starts leaning out ill drop it to 200. i just dont care to go to DP.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 11-30-2008 at 08:19 PM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post

Heres one for you.....My boys small tire maro. 7.79@180 on a 275 drag radial.

NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote