Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: How to get sponsored?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default How to get sponsored?

I was just curiosu how do guys get sponsored? I dont ever see where different vendors are lookin for people to sponsor but it seems like a lot of people here are sponsored. Also when you are sponsored do you usually get free parts or discounted parts?
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Here is some of my observations on the subject...

#1 Be a really nice guy! (Being a d!ck won't get you anything.... Except maybe a knuckle sandwich)

#2 Be involved with as many aspects of the "sport?" as you can.

#3 Help out the Noobs whenever possible.

#4 Do lots of cool build threads and share your tech/ setup stuff so others can be cool like you.

and last but not least win a bunch of local comps, a few national ones then someone may come looking for you.

(I'm still trying)
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

all that stuff and...

ask...
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Who's your Daddy-0!

You don't have to be a nice guy to get sponsored, I know a lot of A-Holes who are team drivers You need to win!!!! Be able to do R&D work helps, and travel....a lot!!! It takes way more money for you to be a team driver than you get in parts!!! But they will come to you when and if they want or need you
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Being sponsored is less about what YOU get, and more about what you DO for the sponsor.

Being a "sponsored driver" is a business arrangement, it is a means of advertising, and therefore, a way for the company to capitalize (i.e. make money) off of you the driver.

So as a company that sponsors a driver or two in the large scale arena, here is what I expect out of our drivers,

-100% professionalism, no sh!t talking about other drivers / products / events ,etc.

-complete representation of us as a company, so pimp the products we make.

-get noticed, there are many ways to do this, namely, win comps, but also, be outgoing, friendly, helpful, HUMBLE (thats the big one IMO)

And for that, what do you get out of it? That depends on the sponsor, small guys usually can only either provide parts at either a deep discount or even for free. Some companies will not only provide parts, but complete rigs for free, and the big guys, for the very lucky few, will provide not only all your gear, but sometimes travel expenses, and stipends or even paychecks, but the last guys, hell you can count them on probably both hands.

The key to remember is that its a job to be one of the higher end sponsored drivers. Sometimes, and I do this a fair amount is offer the "bro deal", I will give friends or acquaintances deep discounts or sometimes parts for free as long as they use the part, run stickers on the rigs, and talk up the parts.

-EDIT-

Actually, Tattookenny is right, if you are good enough, sometimes you can get away with being a prick, and you can still get sponsored, but personally, as a company owner, I don't want to be associated with jerkoff drivers, I would rather have people comment on how good a driver is, and what a good guy, then, boy, nice run, but what a tool.

Last edited by DarkSoul; 01-14-2009 at 12:00 AM.
DarkSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
Being sponsored is less about what YOU get, and more about what you DO for the sponsor.

Being a "sponsored driver" is a business arrangement, it is a means of advertising, and therefore, a way for the company to capitalize (i.e. make money) off of you the driver.

So as a company that sponsors a driver or two in the large scale arena, here is what I expect out of our drivers,

-100% professionalism, no sh!t talking about other drivers / products / events ,etc.

-complete representation of us as a company, so pimp the products we make.

-get noticed, there are many ways to do this, namely, win comps, but also, be outgoing, friendly, helpful, HUMBLE (thats the big one IMO)

And for that, what do you get out of it? That depends on the sponsor, small guys usually can only either provide parts at either a deep discount or even for free. Some companies will not only provide parts, but complete rigs for free, and the big guys, for the very lucky few, will provide not only all your gear, but sometimes travel expenses, and stipends or even paychecks, but the last guys, hell you can count them on probably both hands.

The key to remember is that its a job to be one of the higher end sponsored drivers. Sometimes, and I do this a fair amount is offer the "bro deal", I will give friends or acquaintances deep discounts or sometimes parts for free as long as they use the part, run stickers on the rigs, and talk up the parts.

-EDIT-

Actually, Tattookenny is right, if you are good enough, sometimes you can get away with being a prick, and you can still get sponsored, but personally, as a company owner, I don't want to be associated with jerkoff drivers, I would rather have people comment on how good a driver is, and what a good guy, then, boy, nice run, but what a tool.
Well said Pm sent
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote