Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Started with 1:1 Crawlers or other RC's?
Got started with RC Crawlers due to 1:1 rock crawlers 48 55.17%
Got started with RC Cralwers due to other RC hobbies 39 44.83%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Started with 1:1 Crawlers or other RC's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Started with 1:1 Crawlers or other RC's?

I know there are many threads in chit-chat about "How did you get started?", "Who started this?", etc.... But lately I've been wondering just how many of us got started in RC Crawlers specifically because they were into 1:1 rock crawling vs. how many were in the RC hobby first but not crawlers.

I personally started in 1:1 crawling more than 10 years ago when I built a '81 Toyota P/U with a buddy. Now on my third Yota but got bit bad by the RCC bug and haven't touched my 1:1 in almost 3 years.

This is a poll but details would be cool too, so how did you get started?
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I got started with 1:1 crawlers/4x4's, I had an '85 Toyota for many years, and later a Tacoma, but could never really afford to get into serious crawling.

I had an RC buggy as a kid, and had always liked RC's but it was full sized trucks that led me here...

but you know most of that already :-P

Last edited by BigB_117; 02-18-2009 at 12:27 AM.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
PapaGriz Yo

My love of 1:1 crawling was more of an inspiration for me to build my first crawler than RC. Although, I was doing both at the time and it was my T-Maxx that had me searching the internet and hobby store when I got the idea to build a scale crawler.

The RC crawling competitions are what really set the hook in me though. I always wanted to compete in 1:1 competitions but knew there was no way I could afford it. The RC comps was something I could afford and gave me the satisfaction I needed.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I found through messing with other r/cs that I liked fiddling with them more than running them.. and crawling is one of the 'fiddlingest' aspects of r/c. I've always been fascinated with offroading, but I haven't had the time/space/money to go 1:1 yet.
Karadjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:38 AM   #5

Ended up drifting over from other RC's.

Started with a rustler I got in a trade in a toolbox and a dozen ziplock bags. Picked up my clod crawler in aother trade (again in pieces), and just started tinkering with it from there, and branched out into a 2nd crawler now.
4thgenceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Had raced off road RC's but had been out of them for years. I was looking to get into 1:1 off road then came across some pics of some scale RC crawlers in a 1:1 magazine in '05. I could afford the RC's and have been doing them ever since.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:39 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

1:1
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

1:1 for sure!!
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Neither! My first hobby grade R/C was a wheely king which I turned into a crawler. I had a 79 toyota P/U that I tried to wheel, but I ran out of money when the engine blew up. That was several years before I started R/C crawling.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
varcor.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
The RC crawling competitions are what really set the hook in me though. I always wanted to compete in 1:1 competitions but knew there was no way I could afford it. The RC comps was something I could afford and gave me the satisfaction I needed.
x2... me and my buddy (him driving, me spotting) a few years back competed in some of the local east coast 1:1 comp but we could never really afford to go big time with. i love the rc comp which is more affordable than the 1:1. i guess that's why my jeep has taken to the back burner for the last 2 years.
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

RC here...
I started out with an E-Maxx. In the Traxxas E-Maxx forum someone posted a question about crawling with the E-Maxx (this was about 4 years ago), someone responded and put up a link for RCCrawler, and here I am.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

The rc crawler was fueled by my passion for my 1:1. I have a YJ that I'm currently building into a sleeper of a rig. Still in the build process but once it's where I want it, it will be sick. Nothing too radical but you will probably just walk by it saying 'Oh it's another YJ on 37's...' unless you look under it.

I have been wanting to get into RC's for a while now but due to my YJ build and me getting laid off from work a month ago, the RC has taken the back burner. I have been waiting for the Losi to come out and I was going to start building one of those since it seems to be a great starting platform for someone who wants to do some comps and also just go out and have fun in the back yard. Hopefully by then I can afford one!
matts88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #13
Suck it up!

Other rc's ~ the gateway drug to crawling!

Started in electric onroad, moved to nitro offroad, added an electric buggy, then went crawling.

Still love my Revo, but crawling is the most fun and rewarding time I've ever spent behind a radio. Plus the posibilities are endless with a crawler...so much to do.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Still love my Revo, but crawling is the most fun and rewarding time I've ever spent behind a radio. Plus the posibilities are endless with a crawler...so much to do.
It is a lot less expensive too, I don't go through replacement parts as quickly. Plus I'm upgrading things on my crawler for the sake of performance, not because it keeps breaking (E-Maxx bunkheads come to mind).
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

My dad had a Sand Scorcher when I was a kid. So the RC stuff started at an early age. I always had an RC since somewhere around the age 10. I have 1:1's was well. I am building a `69 FJ40 on 1tons and 42inch tires. I have been going to the desert since I was about 2. So for me it's been both!
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #16
RCC Addict

It was other RC's, for me.

I loved RC as a kid, but kinda' fell out of it as I grew older. Then when the whole micro-rc craze hit, I started collecting those and joined some forums like Micro RC Center and Tiny RC. Then when the Mini-T came out, I moved onto 1:18 scale and joined One18th. That's where I found out about people modding thier TLT's, and someone posted a link to RCCrawler.

And the rest, as they say, is history
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:34 AM   #17
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
It is a lot less expensive too, I don't go through replacement parts as quickly. Plus I'm upgrading things on my crawler for the sake of performance, not because it keeps breaking (E-Maxx bunkheads come to mind).
Yes, Maxx bulkheads are garbage, but I'd have to say I've spent less on the Revo than I have on my crawler...unless you count fuel, then I'd have to retract what I just said...:?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #18

i started of with a 92 f150 on a 4 inch lift with bilsteins around the corners for go fast. then moved to an 86 jeep commanche with a 5 inch rock krawler lift on 31 bfg muds. My most recent is an 89 cherokee on a 4.5 inch rubicon express with bilstiens around the corners, rock rails, homebrewed half doors, roof rack with 4 lights forwar and 2 reverse...
tuesdaysfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #19
I'm a stupid C U N T!

I've been into rc's for years, and got tired of just upgrading and was staring at a txt and started looking for txt upgrades and found this lovely site. never did buy the txt, picked up a couple tlt's instead and some peices of 1/8 aluminum
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #20
TEAM RCC

I got started with 1:1 crawlers thats the right way.
bcrofts is offline   Reply With Quote