Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Comps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Comps

Hey guys i just went to my first comp/rc event ever and everyone told me i did good because i finished a course. i placed 12th out of 15 i was just wondering what your first comp experiences were and how you did. yes i did break stuff. i took a dip in salt water no damage but it scared me also i broke a locker. so what was your first comp like?
crawladan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawladan View Post
Hey guys i just went to my first comp/rc event ever and everyone told me i did good because i finished a course. i placed 12th out of 15 i was just wondering what your first comp experiences were and how you did. yes i did break stuff. i took a dip in salt water no damage but it scared me also i broke a locker. so what was your first comp like?
I thought you did great. Good thing your truck survived that swim it took, lol.

I'm always happy if I finish a course, I've only finished one in my first two comps.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

well theres a comp on the 22nd in My hometown of ukiah and im going to it hoping to place a little better i was so damn nervous my throttle finger was twitching on the first course lol
Old 03-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
well theres a comp on the 22nd in My hometown of ukiah and im going to it hoping to place a little better i was so damn nervous my throttle finger was twitching on the first course lol
Yeah the nerves get to me to, just take a deep breath and relax before you start. The more comps you do the more relaed you'll be. I've noticed that all the best drivers seems nice and relaxed while they're driving.

I'm gonna try to make that comp on the 22nd as well if I can get my truck finished by then.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

what happend to it or are you upgrading? im puting metal lockers Front and Rear 'cause one of my fronts blew out on that scaler run after the comp and i got some cvds for it
Old 03-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
what happend to it or are you upgrading? im puting metal lockers Front and Rear 'cause one of my fronts blew out on that scaler run after the comp and i got some cvds for it
Still building my first truck LOL. I've been collecting parts for over a month. I borrowed Erik's backup truck for my first 2 comp.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

My first comp was a nervous mess also. You get used to haveing EVERYONE watch you. Just picture everyone nak, well don't do that It's all for fun, just remember that. Enjoy it, and get to no everyone
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Who's your Daddy-0!

My first comp was the East Coast Championships last year Nervous was a understatement! I finished 2 of the 3 courses though, the 3rd I didn't finish because I didn't fully understand the rules at the time. Put some music in your ears, it helps to relax
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #9
Built, not bought

My first (and only) comp I was nervous and hungover.
Placed 6th out of 10.
I felt it was ok for my first one.Did I mention hungover?
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

lol well i feel better now.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

i'm looking to do my first comp sometime this year and i'm already nervous. my comp rig is nothing more then an idea and i'm freaking out. other then sticking to the rules, throwing some music on and just having fun. what are some do's and don't. i've raced mountain bike most of my life and they have there own way of doing things that aren't quite on the rule books. you know crawler code.
4x4mtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62PYRO View Post
My first (and only) comp I was nervous and hungover.
Placed 6th out of 10.
I felt it was ok for my first one.Did I mention hungover?

Liar. That was probably when Team Dance was still ruling our rocks. Back when no one could win.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
Built, not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Liar. That was probably when Team Dance was still ruling our rocks. Back when no one could win.
White River Canyon '06.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4mtb View Post
i'm looking to do my first comp sometime this year and i'm already nervous. my comp rig is nothing more then an idea and i'm freaking out. other then sticking to the rules, throwing some music on and just having fun. what are some do's and don't. i've raced mountain bike most of my life and they have there own way of doing things that aren't quite on the rule books. you know crawler code.
If you still don't have a truck, find out where a local comp is and go watch. First comp I went to I just watched and talked to people. Everyone was really cool, just happy to be there and eager to talk about trucks. You'll get the idea of how everything works.

My second comp one of the local guys offered to let me borrow one of his trucks, and I volunteered to scorekeep one of the course's. I got to know lots of people that way, and I had lots of fun. I've even had guys offer me parts, and help building my truck. Awesome bunch of guys.

Dont's I've picked up are:

Try not to walk on the course's. (people don't like the rocks being moved or changed)

Try to stay out of the way of the driver, judge, and scorekeeper, they're gonna be moving around to get the best view of the truck.

If a truck looks like it's gonna fall or drive anywhere near where you are, get out of the way. If a truck lands on your foot, the driver's gonna have to take 10 points and he won't be happy.

Don't ask the driver questions about his truck while he's driving, do it after.

If a driver has a bad run, or breaks down, he might be a little upset. Give him some space. Some guys laugh it off, some get mad and need to cool off.

Ask before you start molesting someone's truck .

Do's:

Talk to people, make friends, ask questions, and have fun.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB_117 View Post
If you still don't have a truck, find out where a local comp is and go watch. First comp I went to I just watched and talked to people. Everyone was really cool, just happy to be there and eager to talk about trucks. You'll get the idea of how everything works.

My second comp one of the local guys offered to let me borrow one of his trucks, and I volunteered to scorekeep one of the course's. I got to know lots of people that way, and I had lots of fun. I've even had guys offer me parts, and help building my truck. Awesome bunch of guys.

Dont's I've picked up are:

Try not to walk on the course's. (people don't like the rocks being moved or changed)

Try to stay out of the way of the driver, judge, and scorekeeper, they're gonna be moving around to get the best view of the truck.

If a truck looks like it's gonna fall or drive anywhere near where you are, get out of the way. If a truck lands on your foot, the driver's gonna have to take 10 points and he won't be happy.

Don't ask the driver questions about his truck while he's driving, do it after.

If a driver has a bad run, or breaks down, he might be a little upset. Give him some space. Some guys laugh it off, some get mad and need to cool off.

Ask before you start molesting someone's truck .

Do's:

Talk to people, make friends, ask questions, and have fun.

Thank You very much!!!!!!!
4x4mtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

My best peice of advice that i ever got was "as soon as you pull through that starting gate and start the "shaking and twitching" is to tell yourself --- take a deep breathe and that no matter what happens you cant look any more foolish than you are right this minute with your hands shaking, so just drive the truck!!!"

My throttle finger was shaking/twitching so badly i didnt think i could get up the first climb to the first gate....then i remembered and followed that advice to a sweep of both classes.
jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62PYRO View Post
White River Canyon '06.
Oh dang.... that was a long time ago. I remember that comp, it was freakin' hot too. I still had the '90 Toyota on 35's with zero/negative lift

White River 2006

You really need to get out again, especially while we're some-what back at making videos and taking pictures again.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #18
Oliver Custom Knives

The first comp I ever went to I was the promoter and organizer , so I didnt compete. The next one I went to I finished 13 out of 22 , had some ground clearance issues but had a great time.
DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Comp #1 course 1 Broke, course 2 Broke, course 3 Broke . Did I mention I Broke,.....

Even though its called a comp, I look at it as another day out crawling (or breaking) Having fun is the name of the game.

Andrew
vltchkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I was nervous, but it actually helped me because it made me slow down. I ended up winning my first time. My cousin also won the first comp he ever entered.
Calicrawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote