Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Ruger LCP vs Kel TEc P 3AT vs..........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Ruger LCP vs Kel TEc P 3AT vs..........

I have been researching handguns for awhile now and have narrowed it down to the Ruger LCP 380,Kel Tec P 3AT,Bersa Thunder 380 conceal carry and the Hi Point 380 ACP.

My criteria: inexpensive,small enough to carry,easy for my wife to use if needed,and did I say inexpensive.I don't care about resale nor am I a gun enthusiast.I just want something that I can carry.This will also be my first handgun and I will also be getting my CCW.

I have called around locally but I cant find any of these in stock.I want to see and hold them before making my decision.After reading on here and other reviews I'm leaning towards the Ruger.But I still can't decide.

I know a few here have the Ruger so any opinions would be appreciated on any of them.Also if there is another that fits my criteria and I may have missed let me know.

Your thoughts....ready....discuss
Thanks
72Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

not alot to chose from, but out of the firearms mentioned i would have to choose the Bersa Thunder. good little pistol for the price. the kel-tec and the hi-point are just junk and i don't really care for the newer rugers. i own a few older ones and like them.
robsdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The Bersa Thunder will be the best from what you listed, I got to tell you, the construction on my LCP is crap, I don't know if it was built on a Monday or Friday, or what. I have not owned or shot the kel-tec, but from what I have heard they are also crap, My dad has a few Bersa guns, and they aren't the best, but they aren't bad. Honestly if its your first hand gun, go with a Glock 26, or a Springfield XD sub-compact in 9mm. Keep in mind that they smaller the gun you get and the shorter the barrel gets, the harder it will be to hang on to, and the more muzzle flip you will have.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
Who's your Daddy-0!

"I have been researching handguns for awhile now and have narrowed it down to the Ruger LCP 380,Kel Tec P 3AT,Bersa Thunder 380 conceal carry and the Hi Point 380 ACP."

STAY AWAY FROM Hi Points!!!! They are TRASH!!!! If that is your only choices go with the KelTec If I were you I would grab a Glock 27, .40cal. If you do the KelTec get the .40 that they have out now, very small and pretty good back up/ pocket guns
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Keep in mind that they smaller the gun you get and the shorter the barrel gets, the harder it will be to hang on to, and the more muzzle flip you will have.
Not always true, if it has a ported barrel it will help out a ton! Also depends on what grain bullet you are using....
Old 03-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

As Shaun mentioned . The Springfield XD Sub Compact is a great gun to carry concealed. I love mine. I carry it in the back pocket and would not be caught with out it. The only place I do not carry is inside the church house or at work. I have a sleeve for it that is neoprene and when I need to draw it it out of my pocket it slides right out of case. They are not cheap though, but well worth the money. I do not have any info on the guns you mentioned. I have never used them. I would recomend the springfield over the glock though. Same money pretty much.
John Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
Not always true, if it has a ported barrel it will help out a ton! Also depends on what grain bullet you are using....
True, and good points that I left out. Thanks for adding that, Kenny.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
Who's your Daddy-0!

Just to add one more thing also.....If your wife will carry it also you might want to look into a hammer less revolver. Ruger makes some nice "Air Weights" that are Titanium that are great carry pistols for the guys and gals No hammer means no snags on a purse or pocket, simple to use, point and shoot. Most ladies find that it fits their hands better than automatics and are easier for them to operate than autos. They have less rounds but speed loaders make up for that. A "Airweight" in .357 is the ticket Look into them
Old 03-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys! I went to a gun shop the other day and the only thing they had was a XD 40 sub compact.I liked it a lot,fit my hand real well BUT the size and weight are an issue.Plus the slide pull was a little much for my wife.And it was a little out of what I want to spend.How the heck could you conceal it without wearing a XXXXXXXL shirt

At the same shop they were showing me a few triggerless revelvers,a Taurus 38 and a S&W 38.Both real nice and light but they were only a 5 shot.I would rather not have to carry a speed loader around also.
All the shops around here are out of all the small conceal type guns.The Bersa Thunder is impossible to get without ordering.Goig to call some more and see what I can find.

I have a question,what is a parkerized finish?

OOOH the decisions

Last edited by 72Blazer; 03-28-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #10
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Blazer View Post
Thanks guys! I went to a gun shop the other day and the only thing they had was a XD 40 sub compact.I liked it a lot,fit my hand real well BUT the size and weight are an issue.Plus the slide pull was a little much for my wife.And it was a little out of what I want to spend.How the heck could you conceal it without wearing a XXXXXXXL shirt

At the same shop they were showing me a few triggerless revelvers,a Taurus 38 and a S&W 38.Both real nice and light but they were only a 5 shot.I would rather not have to carry a speed loader around also.
All the shops around here are out of all the small conceal type guns.The Bersa Thunder is impossible to get without ordering.Goig to call some more and see what I can find.

OOOH the decisions
I have a XD sub compact, and even down here in the sweaty south, i can hide mine under a t shirt in the summer with only a little outline. Looks like i got a cell phone on.
I have had it for a few years now and it has never failed me yet. It has different size clips for 12 rounds and 9 rds. With the 9 in it is pretty easy to hide. Gotta love it.

I cant find a kel tec or ruger around here they sold like hot cakes!!! i
I was looking for a kel tec 380 just yesterday!!! guy at shop said good luck, hot item right now.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I carry an LCP. It fits in my pocket ,and I like the way it shoots.I ordered a crimson trace grip for it yesterday. The pistol is lightweight,and easy to conceal. Everyone has different opinions,these are just mine.If you buy an LCP make sure the serial number starts with 371.The 370 series had a problem with firing when dropped. I know that Ruger has fixed a lot of them. If you buy a 370 series make sure it has a diamond stamped on the back of it. That signifies it has been repaired,
MOCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #12
rbl
Rock Crawler

kel tec is what I would go with. the lcp is a good gun but hard to shoot for weaker shooters. if its a woman def go with a kel tec. and to be honest I would stay away from anything airlite and in the .357 cal. easy for a man to shoot/hard for a woman to shoot

my mother is a strong shooter and she carries a s&w airlite .38 with a glock 19 for home/car
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The only one I've delt with out of the ones you mentioned is the KelTec. IMO it was a great little gun. Easy to conceal & easy to shoot. It was hella louder than the .40 S&W we were shooting though. We called it "the noisy cricket" ;)

Jon
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #14

Quote:

A Parkerized finish is a matte finish that requires oiling. It actually absorbs oil like a sponge. Some people use vaseline and bake their guns in the oven to help it permeate. My AK is Parkerized and it looks good when it's oiled, but it seems to scratch easily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkerizing
Mcurtis762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #15
06 Super National Champ

My wife actually likes shooting the XD45ACP over the other stuff we have.

This is the compact with extended clip.

JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:15 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Don't worry to much about the slide pull on the XD. My XD .40 service model was hard to put the slide back on at first to. After about 200 rounds it was a little easier. After 500 it was really easy. It sounds like a lot of rounds but its not you can go through 100 in about a half hour. Guns are just like anything else they have to be broken in. JIA is that your XD or is that a stock photo? How do you like it I want to get one of those and I love my .40 service so I know I would like the .45 compact too.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:27 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Rugers are crap... We have these for Annual training and Every year I have jams.... No matter what i do. There is a reason why the SORT team went with SIG's... get the XD... Glocks aren't bad and easy to tear down. I never had any issues with mine. Just didn't like how it felt.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #18
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmstEvil665 View Post
JIA is that your XD or is that a stock photo? How do you like it I want to get one of those and I love my .40 service so I know I would like the .45 compact too.
It's mine.

Initially I didn't like the backstrap and trigger safety but after going to the range with it a couple times I don't even notice them now.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
At the same shop they were showing me a few triggerless revelvers...

Um...
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt Hartman View Post
Um...
OK.. hammerless