Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Dual Superchagers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #21
Suck it up!

LMAO! I knew the nitrous comment would get under a few peoples skins...

I honestly don't have a problem with it, just tired of seeing it become the first (and on occasion, only) mod some people do.

And yes, you can fill your bottle for $40...but I'll never run out the turbo my car came equipped with.

Single, massive turbos are good for one thing only: high rpm power. Thats why you see them on drag cars and dyno queens and not street cars. An ex-DSM buddy moved over to the Supra crowd and ran a turbo big enough to stuff your arm into. Once he got it spooled it made a stupid amount of power, but untill that point it was a laggy pig.

500 hp in a DSM is not an uncommon number, but as far as I know he's the first (or one of the first) to do a twin boosted smog legal Talon. This isn't an all out drag car, he auto-crosses it.

GTR's of various years had small twins or slightly bigger singles. A lot of people ditched the small twins for a larger single for various reasons (replacement costs, less weight, less clutter, higher rpm power). It depends on where you want to make your power...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I've seen twin blowers, but never stacked on top of each other like that...

I believe some guy with a charger was the first one to do that, he said it isnt a HUGE gain but its different. Not so much anymore though.
47willysbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:44 AM   #23
RCC Addict

That looks insane.

Also, turbo + superchargers are currently used in some VW/Audi applications from the factory, not just for show. VW Twincharger Pretty good power out of a speck of an engine
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:06 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I kow one of the big things when it comes to drag racing atleast is you can only put so much power to the ground off the line.

So having a set of small twins that spool instantly is not always a good thing.But even with big singles like a 108 if setup properly will build more power offline than the tires,suspension,and track will handle so you end up pulling a ton of timing out to get it moving.Also with drag cars that are having issues building boost off line you can pull a stupid amount of timing out when on the 2step to build a ton of heat in the engine and exhaust so it will spool faster.

I aslo see several are talking about the big singles on drag cars only building power in the higher RPM range.Say you have a drag car that has a enging operating range 5000-8800RPm where do you think that engine spends most of its life at in that power band?Its not at 8800.It spends most of its life in the middle of the power band.

Here is a vid of a car with a 108 it makes instant power but to get it down the track he hits the tires and then pulls timing out untill the car is moving.This is not turbo lag its timing control.Oh yeah this is a heavy ass car on radials and stock suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Kk9rViAG4
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #25
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
I aslo see several are talking about the big singles on drag cars only building power in the higher RPM range.Say you have a drag car that has a enging operating range 5000-8800RPm where do you think that engine spends most of its life at in that power band?Its not at 8800.It spends most of its life in the middle of the power band.
5k-8k rpms are high if you're on the street. My powerband starts falling back off at 5k, therefor I want a smaller size for quicker spoolup.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

I would say it depends on what you are driving on the street.

I am not saying that a smaller turbo does not have its place.
Or that you can not go overkill with a big one.It all depends on your setup and intended use.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote