Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Dual Superchagers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Dual Superchagers?

This is the first time I have ever seen this before. Is there any horsepower gain over just a single supercharger?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdQd5K5lEuI

Justin
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

As long as its tuned and built right.

This is the guy that owns PSE Superchargers..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6iQC...eature=channel
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
Suck it up!

I've seen twin blowers, but never stacked on top of each other like that...

Probably more show than go. I doubt he's running a whole lot of boost with that setup...if he were they'd likely blow themselves right off of the engine, and if you notice, there are no blower straps on it either. So yeah, more show than go.

Looks cool though! I always wanted a car with a blower like that.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post

Damn. My favorite sound is a supercharger screaming.
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I prefer Turbochargers...

Though I see some are making Turbo + Super charged systems. The Super is small and for the bottom end to prevent the lag of a large spooling turbo. Then the large turbo spools in and some sort of bypass in the supercharger opens for the much higher psi turbo boost.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
I prefer Turbochargers...

Though I see some are making Turbo + Super charged systems. The Super is small and for the bottom end to prevent the lag of a large spooling turbo. Then the large turbo spools in and some sort of bypass in the supercharger opens for the much higher psi turbo boost.

That's what nitrous if for

Big single turbo & a little spray is the way to go.

Turbo + SC set ups are for show...as are twin SC's like the OP
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

The supercharger on top looks like it is underdriven, you can tell because the pulley is smaller than a crank pulley. That one is making some boost.

The pulley on the lower supercharger is quite big, almost as big as a crank pulley so it is prolly not adding much boost.
It certainly could be adding boost though.

I agree that this is prolly more of a show setup and not necessary. Either one of those superchargers should be able to provide plenty of boost on their own.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
That's what nitrous if for

Big single turbo & a little spray is the way to go.

Turbo + SC set ups are for show...as are twin SC's like the OP
Phffft...nitrous is for pussies who don't know how to tune cars.

There are some turbo/sc cars out there that are total monsters. A guy in my old DSM club has one that throws down 32 psi at 2400 rpm with a 2.3l 4 banger. If I remember right, he's somewhere around 500ftlb & hp...but don't quote me on that one...

Twin sc's can be effective too, just not with double stacking like in the op.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
The supercharger on top looks like it is underdriven, you can tell because the pulley is smaller than a crank pulley. That one is making some boost.

The pulley on the lower supercharger is quite big, almost as big as a crank pulley so it is prolly not adding much boost.

I agree that this is prolly more of a show setup and not necessary. Either one of those superchargers should be able to provide plenty of boost on their own.
Yup...the small one is probably in the bigger one's way. No need to double stack with positive displacement...

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 04-15-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Turbo + SC set ups are for show

not necissarily, diesel semi trucks were doing it back in the 60s and 70s.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

There are some turbo/sc cars out there that are total monsters. A guy in my old DSM club has one that throws down 32 psi at 2400 rpm with a 2.3l 4 banger. If I remember right, he's somewhere around 500ftlb & hp...but don't quote me on that one...

Twin sc's can be effective too, just not with double stacking like in the op.

No, nitrous is for the budget minded AND a simple way to get off the line with a huge turbo.

Well that's pretty sad considering there DSM's with singles making more than that (power).

If doubling up on FI was that effective everyone would be doing it. For EX- if I remember correctly, most people that have TT Supra's and want high HP actually ditch having twins and go single. I believe this is the case for RX-7's & GTR's as well

For racing apps, at least at this time, singles are more effective than twins.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
For racing apps, at least at this time, singles are more effective than twins.
In Drag racing that might be so but in road racing twins are better. 2 smaller units producing the same boost as 1 larger one allow for the ability to have limited if even noticable lag and still offer the same boost as 1 large unit. This set up does require alot of plumbing and most likely a single external waste gate to equalize the boost.

Remember most Supras are Dyno cars now, no one cares about lag on a dyno run to "impress". They can build retarded power, but most people lack the skill to set them up to run a 1/4 mile.

Simply put...Bugatti got 4 to work well on the Veyron and that is no slouch in any manner.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #12
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Not true I can fill my bottle for $40 and add anywhere from 125-500hp. All with a set up that cost under $300! Can you do that with your turbo or super charger? Nope! Not everyone can afford a turbo or SC.....All said and done you will spend $2500-3500 for your setup.....And as far a tuning a car and nitrous, let me see you put a 300hp+ nitrous (Wet) setup on a car without tuning it If you are running a (Dry) kit then yea it's just 5 minutes and your done.....
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Wrong Answer.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
In Drag racing that might be so but in road racing twins are better. 2 smaller units producing the same boost as 1 larger one allow for the ability to have limited if even noticable lag and still offer the same boost as 1 large unit. This set up does require alot of plumbing and most likely a single external waste gate to equalize the boost.

Remember most Supras are Dyno cars now, no one cares about lag on a dyno run to "impress". They can build retarded power, but most people lack the skill to set them up to run a 1/4 mile.

Simply put...Bugatti got 4 to work well on the Veyron and that is no slouch in any manner.

I agree with your first paragraph

Well I wasn't talking just about Supra's. Rex's & GTR's I don't consider much as "dyno queens", and most people go the single route for those as well. Bringing a non-driving SOB into the picture wasn't part of the topic of discussion. Show me a TT Supra that does run the same numbers as a properlly set up single.

The Bugatti is also more than 6cyl. Actually I think it's more than 8...and 10...ha ha. VW has a simular version w/ a W16. That's 16 cylinders.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Rex's...and most people go the single route for those as well
There's never been a stock WRX with twin turbos.

Quote:
Show me a TT Supra that does run the same numbers as a properlly set up single.
Again a Twin Turbo Supra stock has 2 small twin turbos in sequential mode. Now many thought "hey throw on 2 monsters", sure thats not as good or easy to overcome lag.

Popularly known as the 1994+ MKIV Supra, as in Mark 4, its twin turbos actually operated in sequential mode instead of the more common parallel mode. The sequential setup featured a pair of small, equally sized turbos. At first, all of the exhaust is routed to the first turbine for reduced lag. This resulted in boost and enhanced torque as early as 1800 rpm. Approaching 4000 rpm, the exhaust is routed to the second turbine for a "pre-boost" mode, although none of the compressor output is used by the engine at this point. Approaching 4500 rpm, the second turbo's output is added to the intake air, and both turbos operate in parallel. Most cars which are advertised as "twin turbo" operate by having the two equally sized turbos constantly running in parallel; the turbos spool up at the same time. The sequential mode provides greater low-end response at the expense of top-end output.

Quote:
The Bugatti is also more than 6cyl. Actually I think it's more than 8...and 10...ha ha. VW has a simular version w/ a W16. That's 16 cylinders.
Ummm Bugatti made the W16 motor for VW, since they are sister companies or Audi. Again it works in sequential mode (2 per stage but the same purpose).
Old 04-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post

Nice truck but I think its pointless as whipple now produces a single blower that has the displacement as the two that PSE has on their truck.
HiloDB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post

Yup, there's been a few cars built like that lately.

If you want to build big horsepower with a roots style blower there's really no need to do anything except go bigger and overdrive more, a roots on a roots doesn't make a lot of sense.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Twin F2's......

NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #19
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal 2500HD View Post
Twin F2's......

yes please!
check out the dual fuel rails. damn.
that all black is sinister
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
There's never been a stock WRX with twin turbos.

Check my original post. There's another import "god" that goes by that name...

Again a Twin Turbo Supra stock has 2 small twin turbos in sequential mode. Now many thought "hey throw on 2 monsters", sure thats not as good or easy to overcome lag.

Popularly known as the 1994+ MKIV Supra, as in Mark 4, its twin turbos actually operated in sequential mode instead of the more common parallel mode. The sequential setup featured a pair of small, equally sized turbos. At first, all of the exhaust is routed to the first turbine for reduced lag. This resulted in boost and enhanced torque as early as 1800 rpm. Approaching 4000 rpm, the exhaust is routed to the second turbine for a "pre-boost" mode, although none of the compressor output is used by the engine at this point. Approaching 4500 rpm, the second turbo's output is added to the intake air, and both turbos operate in parallel. Most cars which are advertised as "twin turbo" operate by having the two equally sized turbos constantly running in parallel; the turbos spool up at the same time. The sequential mode provides greater low-end response at the expense of top-end output.

I don't at all see how this proves that TT's are superior to singles. I understand how sequentials work, and the reason is b/c it's a factory thing. Don't think you could put much of a warranty on a 1000hp factory car. Plus there's probably not a lot of people that would want to buy/drive a brand new car that has no power until 8-9k rpm (No S2K jokes)

Ummm Bugatti made the W16 motor for VW, since they are sister companies or Audi. Again it works in sequential mode (2 per stage but the same purpose).

My bad, not as familiar with the Bugatti & had no idea they were sis corps. Me and my ignorant ass Point was it's a much larger ci/disp engine.

Jon