Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Not crawling, model railroading...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2005, 12:06 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Question Not crawling, model railroading...

Well, I've been thinking about getting back into model railroading. I don't want to delve too deeply (like in my childhood), but I would like to have a nice layout in the spare bedroom. I'm probably going to go with N scale, since I can have a bigger layout in a smaller space (HO would be too big for my application).

What I'd really like to do, is have a theme using early 40's wartime Europe. Something like a military-themed cargo train (haulin' tanks, munitions, whatever).

Since the scene is set in the early forties, I know that I need to use steam locomotives. I don't suppose that anyone on here has any advice on this subject? Like I mentioned earlier, I haven't messed with this for about 20 or so years, so I'm sure that a lot of things have changed.

Anybody on here that has some N scale sets laying around that they would like to sell or possibly trade for crawler parts?

LMK what 'ya got!

-WRM
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

i know a bit about steam (my grandfather invented the Riegel firebox (which was much more efficient but required more maintenance and downtime and was not widely adopted) and he worked for quite a few railroads including UP during the Big Boy era) but i don't know much about European steam. my fingers are too fat for N scale anyway.

i do know you're gonna have a time finding Euro steam over here, unless your LHS specializes in it or has an extensive high-end train selection. most places doing pretty good to have Bachmann and Lionel. you'll get it done a lot quicker if you did the same sort of thing with a domestic railroad.

plus, Europe in the 40's didn't use a uniform track gauge. each country had its own. how the hell would you model that? a shop would have to keep 10 different track gauges in stock, as well as 10 different size axles. what a nightmare! or is N scale N scale regardless?
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'll probably use a domesic steam engine, and just model it after what was the norm in Europe at that time. It doesn't have to be an EXACT replica of what you would've found over there, but pretty close. I just want to have some fun, not be pictured in Model Railroader. Plus, I thought it would be kind of cool to have jeeps and tanks running around, instead of the usual layouts that I see.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Walthers hasn an excellent selection of period correct European steam and rolling stock from that era. They would also have military figures and vehicles, not to mention an excellent variety of buildings best suited for that type of layout.

It would be best to order through your LHS if you don't wan't to pay full retail plus shipping. My 4024 Big Boy was retailed at $350 and I got it through Hobbytown for $265.
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

ever see one of those in person? there's one in a museum in St Louis. what a machine! drooooollll.....
Old 10-16-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yeah, the reason I got #4024 is we have it here in Omaha. If I can find them I will try to post a pic of it with me standing next to it. You really can't appreciate the size and magnitude of one of these until you stand next to one. Truly an incredible machine, one and a quarter million pounds and 6000 horsepower.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:12 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I think that I may end up making one of these. I think that this has to be one of the coolest ideas that I've ever seen! And the bonus, it won't take up any additional room! I needed a new coffee table anyway .
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have personally spent many hours drooling on, walking around, and climbing aboard ol' 4006 in STL. Did you know that she racked up more miles than any of the other Big Boys during service (1,064,625 miles). Are you sure that the Big Boy in Omaha is #4024? Last I heard, the Big Boy housed there was number #4023. It's at the Durham Western Heritage Museum, correct?

Sorry to stray slightly OT. I have had a fascination with the Big Boy since first seeing a video if it pulling through a freight yard on of all things, Captain Kangaroo. There's something SOO cool about seeing the front guide wheels and railing turn first, then the rest. I have yet to, but one of these days plan on getting a Rivarossi HO Big Boy (is that what you have clod?)
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:59 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

i can't say for sure, but i think a few years ago MTH was doing one in O-72 scale. but i'd have to buy a biggger house; my basement won't allow for big enough turns.

it'd still be worth it, though
Old 10-17-2005, 05:16 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Well, I couldn't resist any longer. I picked this up today at Roy's Train World in Mesa. I think after tax it was $14X.XX. Pretty cool little deal. It has a working headlight and approx. 2' x 4' of track (oval). Now all I have to do is add more track to get the layout I want, and start working on the landscape.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-24009
Old 10-17-2005, 05:21 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Bugman72, you are absolutely right and therefore I am a dipsh**!! I do indeed have the Rivarossi and love it even though it has never been run. I actually keep it on display at the LHS in their case (iv'e worked there on and off for years). I am actually getting some space cleared for a decent size layout (can you ever have enough space?) that will be set in the modern era, but will have the Big-boy pulling 72' heavy weight passenger cars in "excursion" service, much like UP does with the Challenger.

I am longing for the day when my wifes sister moves out of the basement, it will become one big layout with tunnels through walls, etc.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:39 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

WRM, i hate to say it, but we've seen more than a few of those with bad locos at the LHS. the Chinese Bachmanns don't seem to have the quality of the older (Taiwanese?) ones. the good news is they stand behind 'em.

they do look good, nice detail on the locos and the cars are painted, not molded in color. if you get one that runs for more than a few days, it should run forever. if not, send it back and try again.