Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Model Rocket info. needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Question Model Rocket info. needed

Me and another History teacher here at school have been talking to the Science teachers about working together on a rocket project for next year. We were thinking that we could teach about the Nasa programs in the 60's while the Science teachers cover that side of rockets. Me and him are willing to go buy the rocket stuff we just need a little info. I have looked at the starter sets from Estes on Tower Hobbies site. Would that be a decent way to go?
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Yah those are good sets. I got a starter set and they're fun. They are good quality and are simple to put together. Do you need any info on rocket engines?
amorton94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

You can't got wrong with the Estes rockets, I used them for ages and never had a problem.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorton94 View Post
Yah those are good sets. I got a starter set and they're fun. They are good quality and are simple to put together. Do you need any info on rocket engines?

Sure if you would like to share. It seemed pretty straight forward from what I read. Tower listed what motors went with what rockets but I'm sure there are upgrades so feel free to fill me in. I would like to build a scale rocket of an old Saturn or something if I have some luck with the starter sets.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

conact the army, I hear you can get one of those surplus JATO rockets cheap...
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
I'm a stupid C U N T!

IIRC estes makes a teacher kit that has something like 20 rockets in a box, We carried them when I worked at the LHS and are much cheaper than buying a bunch of single sets, also you can buy motors in bulk, you only need 1-2 stands and 1-2 remote ingition setups.

something like these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXF422&P=7
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarkeith View Post
Me and another History teacher here at school have been talking to the Science teachers about working together on a rocket project for next year. We were thinking that we could teach about the Nasa programs in the 60's while the Science teachers cover that side of rockets. Me and him are willing to go buy the rocket stuff we just need a little info. I have looked at the starter sets from Estes on Tower Hobbies site. Would that be a decent way to go?
Here is a site that is for schools they have a lot neat stuff, bulk packs and rocket lessons.

http://www.kelvin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TRSRER

http://www.kelvin.com/Merchant2/merc...ry_Code=TRSRBO
Mechanicalbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarkeith View Post
Me and another History teacher

I'm sorry, I just have to say it...

"Another History teacher and I"

RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

He is a History Teacher not an English Teacher.:-P

Try looking at Hobby Lobby before you order online. It always helps me to lay my hands on new things.
robsdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Yep, the engines are pretty straight forward. A doesn't go very high, B is somewhere in the middle, and C goes the highest. There are bigger engines out there, but those are for the bigger rockets, which I don't have. The letter in the type of rocket, c5-03 for expample, that means that after the rocket is finished burning, 3 seconds later, it will blast out the nose cone and the shoot will deploy. The little rockets with the c6's are fun. Oh, and don't lauch on overcast days. We did yesterday. That rocket completely disappeared. We never found it :-(. Oh well, I get to go get another one now . Good luck with your rockets .
Old 05-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
I'm sorry, I just have to say it...

"Another History teacher and I"

Oh, no! The grammar police got me!
Yep, just like robsdak said I teach History for a reason.

I actually will be teaching English next year. We are going to a new system in 6th grade. Your History teacher will also be your English teacher and the same person will teach you Science and Math. I am taking the Praxxis this summer and if I pass I will be certified to teach any subject K-6 and Social Studies 7-12 so its a pretty cool deal for me. In all seriousness I know correct spelling and grammar. I just usually type as I speak on the forum. Most of us know correct grammar we just don't always use it.

Anyway, back to the rockets. Thanks for all the help and info. Amorton that is a good simple explaination of the engines. I went to Hobby Lobby Friday and picked up a starter set. They were 30% off so I also picked up some extra motors and recovering wadding. This is the set I got. http://www.estesrockets.com/rockets.php?pid=001406 It came with B6-4 engines but the replacements I got were A8-3 because they were listed as replacement engines and were a little cheaper. I took a few liberties with the decals. This is how it looks assembled.

The weather has been a little rough over the weekend so I haven't launched it yet. I hope to get a launch in on the football field after practice one day this week. I hope to use a rocket launch during school as an incentive to get the kids to behave these last few weeks. About how many launches do you get out of one rocket before something gets broken? I was thinking about picking up a spare just in case.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Nothing really gets broken. The parachute slows it down to were it isn't a hard impact to the ground. Only problem I've had, is one catching the wind and floating a 1/4mile downwind into a pond. It got wet and the engine swelled up and is now permanently wedged in there and the cardboard is very weak. So just don't get it wet . Don't expect to get super high with those A engines. But then again, it'll be during school so you don't want to chase down a rocket and miss have the class now do you . Good luck with the rocket! They're a blast! Literally.