Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: What about mobile gates ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs down What about mobile course / rocks ?

What if .... A national guideline was set for size , say 2 ft x 4 ft, and poeple made there own gate section. Flush on the ground ( or 3/4 in plywood base and build up from there. Everyone has a differant idea of a challenge, then set up the gates end to end. some build turns ,some bridges, some tunnels, ect . See were I'm going with this , its unlimited the # of combinations. You could have a comp in a wal-mart parking lot, or for club publisity. I think the size would need to be something you could fit in a car, but if you own a truck build more, mayber 4x4 ft and folds in half.
Call em crawler cubes or some thing?

Tell me what you think, and how you think you would make one yourself ( wire ,concrete,foam,wood,tires? )

Thanks

Last edited by TomEGunn; 05-23-2009 at 09:25 AM.
TomEGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

maybe like this , or 2ft x 2ft
Old 05-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEGunn View Post
What if .... A national guideline was set for size , say 2 ft x 4 ft, and poeple made there own gate section. Flush on the ground ( or 3/4 in plywood base and build up from there. Everyone has a differant idea of a challenge, then set up the gates end to end. some build turns ,some bridges, some tunnels, ect . See were I'm going with this , its unlimited the # of combinations. You could have a comp in a wal-mart parking lot, or for club publisity. I think the size would need to be something you could fit in a car, but if you own a truck build more, mayber 4x4 ft and folds in half.
Call em crawler cubes or some thing?

Tell me what you think, and how you think you would make one yourself ( wire ,concrete,foam,wood,tires? )

Thanks
i think it is a good idea. I could fit 2 or 3 modular pieces into the back of my SUV. light weight moveable pieces would allow more people to participate in the hobby. could have comps almost anywhere with enough space.

people could make their pieces out of rail road material as you suggested in another post. or like GJM did in this post.
Indoor course ... How to:
BMFOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

yeah you could put on shows at malls or hobby stores or us them for display,photo ops... If you turn them around come from diiferant side=differant gate.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I think that's a great idea.

A modular crawler course! If a reasonable number of people in your club or group each make just one module of their own design, you'd always have a course to run on when ya G.T.G., whenever and wherever you are. You just have to agree some basic specifications such as size and how to connect them. It might also be useful to have a 'think tank' to work out a standardised, easy and inexpensive way for people to make strong and light weight modules. Possibilities are endless.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

this is the " Think Tank " what do you all think
Old 05-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

The crates that my son and I are making a course from would be a good idea.

You can change a course over and over again by truning the crates and stacking them up on other crates. Then just zip tie them together. Plus they are super light and very strong.

Everyone could easly make a few then bring them together for a course.

Heres the link to what we'er doing.
Indoor Course
guitarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default Thats the idea

useing differant things in differant ways. have a nationally known size of the section, say 2x4 or 2x2 or 3x3 something that makes them comaptible.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
MODERATOR™

RCP Tracks makes these things available for purchase. http://www.rcptracks.com/

But also, people have been making these types of things for a couple of years now.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

[I'm not trying to piss poeple off, I'm tring to think of a way to unite crawlers and clubs

quote=EeePee;1808804]RCP Tracks makes these things available for purchase. http://www.rcptracks.com/

But also, people have been making these types of things for a couple of years now.[/quote]
Old 05-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
useing differant things in differant ways. have a nationally known size of the section, say 2x4 or 2x2 or 3x3 something that makes them comaptible.
A Nationally recognized size? I can guarantee you that will never happen.

Just build some yourself instead of trying to get people on the building bandwagon.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
MODERATOR™

Fine by me.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default national size regulations can work

The model R.R. comunity has been doing it for 10 yrs its call N-Track.
Clubs and poeple from around the country get together and run trains. the guidelins for that have to be exact for the tracks to match up. All we would basicly need is outside dementions.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Clubs and poeple from around the country get together and run trains. the guidelins for that have to be exact for the tracks to match up. All we would basicly need is outside dementions.
We need a national standard on what, the size someone can make a mobile gate? Like Eeepee said, RCP already has this exact same thing made, throw a couple cones on it and it's a mobile gate.

These portable crawling modules are great if you plan on using these for club promotion or for crawling demos, but using them for a comp scene would get old real quick. These modules only have so many line choices and once the competitors have figured out all the lines, the modules are no longer good for comps, or at least only good for fun comps.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
Official Cook of the ECC

Damnit, I type so slow Badger beat me to it.

Quote:
Well these aren't trains. You have to set up something to run trains where natural terrain is the preferred medium for crawlers. You would need a helluva lot more of these to make a setup with multiple courses that would be challenging.

Could this be done on a club level if you really have nowhere to run or need something mobile.......yes. It is already being done.

Will it ever be on some sort of Natl. scale............nope. Never happen. You will never talk guys who have good natural terrain into building some squares and hope that many other guys did so as well.

I'm done with this as it is pointless but I tell you what, let me know when you get all this off the ground, and I'll be the 1st to eat my words.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

rcp website says not avilable yet and at what cost?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

man this seems to have gotten out of hand. i would like some of the rocks from http://www.rcptracks.com/ as soon as they are available. i am one of those persons without good natural terrain for crawling. So i either have to go out and acquire rocks, buy rocks (get expensive fast) or build rocks.
the idea of having modular course for fun and club level seems like a good idea. i dont really see the down point of modular courses. I am new though so what do I know, i just want everyone to get along and enjoy the hobby
BMFOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Default this might not be for everone

I understand not everyone will NEED these, I live in Minnesota 4 -5 months a yrs our natural rocks are under 2 ft of snow.
Not saying to base a complete series on them. Just to have some flexability just in case ( rain,snow,dead of night, just clean out the garage and have fun) good cheap fun.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I think its a good idea for maybe 2.2 comps and 1.9. But supers wouldn't like it too much.

Its defiantly a good idea for an indoor coarse, for rainy days, snow...etc

good thinkin' though! Might have to give it a try one day
eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #20
20K Club

We did this for the 2.2 Midwest Challenge in Omaha. Worked out alright.

You run out of lines fast though. They would be OK for some testing and such but thats about it. On a comp level you aren't going to get reward out of them that the time/$ investment would require.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote