RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   Trophy Truck VS Stadium Truck? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/195390-trophy-truck-vs-stadium-truck.html)

KROGOTH 08-21-2009 10:57 AM

Trophy Truck VS Stadium Truck?

What are the differences between a 1:1 stadium truck and a trophy truck? And even a Short course truck for that matter.

Superficially, they all seem mostly the same except for the types of racing they do? And even that Im not entirely certain on lol.

Anyone with the knowledge care to share it with me?

jetboat 08-21-2009 12:00 PM

when you say stadium truck, are you referring to the tuff trucks???

As for a Corr (I know its not Corr anymore) versus a Score Trophy truck... they are completely different animals.

A SC truck is a front engine 2wd or 4wd truck that though tube framed is basically based off a production vehicle. Engine/trans in the normal place, solid rear axle etc.

Trophy trucks are hand built pieces of art. Engines are usually mid mounted, 20+" of travel Independent suspension all around... They have more in common with an f1 car that a pickup in most cases

Tuff Trucks (some have called them stadium trucks in the past) are usually pickups that have had a lift and a roll cage installed with a redneck behind the wheel that is hell bent on beating the other guy.

soundcolor 08-21-2009 12:11 PM

Trophy trucks... pro
stadium trucks... amatuer

Trophy trucks cross moab, and baja
stadium trucks run in a circle for a few laps in a stadium

Trophy trucks, what you wish you could drive
stadium truck well, who cant find a beat old ford...

Rockpiledriver 08-21-2009 12:32 PM

Interesting replies. But not quite correct, there is nothing production vehicle about either, really... nothing.

Some 2wd short course trucks and trophy trucks are actually pretty similar in the chassis design and construction. The biggeest difference is weight, the amount of tube, and the suspension. A trophy truck must handle hundreds of miles in typically rocky terrain, and carry ALOT of heavy spares and equipment, plus a co-driver. Some trophy trucks are indeed pretty different in the suspension department, but they are not as limited by rules as a short course truck.

A shortcourse truck is built as light as possible and carries no spare parts or people. Also there are rules as to exactly how the chassis must be contructed, so one SC truck chassis is pretty close to another.

STANG KILLA SS 08-21-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetboat (Post 1954065)
, 20+" of travel Independent suspension all around...

try double that. not sure what you mean by mid mounted motor. most termed "mid mounted" cars are motors just behind the driver, not a full rear engine though.
most pro TT teams have 3x" travel up front and 4x" out back

Rockpiledriver 08-21-2009 12:47 PM

Yep not to mention that 99% of trophy trucks are solid rear axle just like a SC truck.

jetboat 08-21-2009 12:47 PM

They have really grown in travel from last time I was up on it...

Midmounted prolly wasnt the best explanation, just wanted to stress not mounted in th e"conventional" location. And "Based on" is kind of like saying a Nascar Camry is based on a street Camry.

KROGOTH 08-21-2009 01:09 PM

Very informative. I just wanted to make sure what I was saying in my mind for my future project was the correct word. I plan on starting a scaler trophy truck project once I get back to the states. Independent front suspension and a 4-link in the back with a solid rear axle.

This post was my inspiration. It looks awesome with the HARDCORE shell on, but without the shell still looks like a toy. lol. I want to make a dedicated scaler, and I hopefully have a person in mind to make my frame/cage for me. (Yes, thats the hardest part but I dont have the skills or equipment to do my own).

860Crawler 08-21-2009 01:26 PM

come back safe, man "thumbsup"

Rockpiledriver 08-21-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetboat (Post 1954127)
They have really grown in travel from last time I was up on it...

Midmounted prolly wasnt the best explanation, just wanted to stress not mounted in th e"conventional" location. And "Based on" is kind of like saying a Nascar Camry is based on a street Camry.

Conventional as in behind the grill and in front of the dash? :lmao:

Just messing with ya. :mrgreen:

jetboat 08-21-2009 02:06 PM

I started doing some looking and to my surprise all the TT's I found are running solid axles again... A couple years back when I was "into" them allot of the drivers had been moving to IRS, wonder what made them switch back.

KROGOTH 08-21-2009 03:48 PM

I need to start finding some good pictures of the suspensions and general cage pictures of some Trophy Trucks so I have something to go off of... Google searches didnt give me some very definitive pictures.

Anyone got any sources?

cfox109 08-21-2009 05:53 PM

http://race-dezert.com/ has lots of pics, also Camburgs website has lots of good pics of there trucks in different stages, there not trophy trucks but pretty dang close

Grizzly4x4 08-21-2009 05:59 PM

http://www.geiserbros.com/welcome.htm

Here's a killer build thread I found a while ago when I was starting my Slash TT. Lots of good pics.
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38484

BJoe 08-21-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver (Post 1954102)
Interesting replies. But not quite correct, there is nothing production vehicle about either, really... nothing.

Some 2wd short course trucks and trophy trucks are actually pretty similar in the chassis design and construction. The biggeest difference is weight, the amount of tube, and the suspension. A trophy truck must handle hundreds of miles in typically rocky terrain, and carry ALOT of heavy spares and equipment, plus a co-driver. Some trophy trucks are indeed pretty different in the suspension department, but they are not as limited by rules as a short course truck.

A shortcourse truck is built as light as possible and carries no spare parts or people. Also there are rules as to exactly how the chassis must be contructed, so one SC truck chassis is pretty close to another.

In some ways would both be based off the trucks that ran in the Mickey Thompson series (the one that resulted in his murder) back in the 80's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetboat (Post 1954258)
I started doing some looking and to my surprise all the TT's I found are running solid axles again... A couple years back when I was "into" them allot of the drivers had been moving to IRS, wonder what made them switch back.

I'd almost be willing to bet they couldn't make them strong enough to take that kind of abuse and still get the job done.