Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: photography guys need a little insite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default photography guys need a little insite

Im looking to get a low-mid range digital slr camera soon and want to get something that will take quality pictures, my friend has a nikon d60 and I like it but I have been looking at its little brother the d40 are they any good? whats the picture quality like? Should I just skip thinking about it completely and just get the d60? Also im not fixed on just the nikon line I am open to other brands but my budget is about $700 for body and 1 lens

Last edited by Wicked_Jester; 08-17-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I own a D40, have had it for two or three years now, and it's been a great camera. The only real drawback I saw to it was the limited selection of AF lenses you can use for it since they opted to put the AF motor in the lense instead of the camera body to cut costs. The thing is now, there's really no issue with that since there have been so many lenses released for that series or whatever, it's really taken off.
It's been a very reliable camera, incredible battery life. It's not the fastest camera out there, especially with the AF, but it does great for the average hobbyist.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcabner View Post
I own a D40, have had it for two or three years now, and it's been a great camera. The only real drawback I saw to it was the limited selection of AF lenses you can use for it since they opted to put the AF motor in the lense instead of the camera body to cut costs. The thing is now, there's really no issue with that since there have been so many lenses released for that series or whatever, it's really taken off.
It's been a very reliable camera, incredible battery life. It's not the fastest camera out there, especially with the AF, but it does great for the average hobbyist.
how is the picture quality on it?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Im pretty sure the D60 uses the same processor as the D80. The D40x also uses this processor and was an upgrade to the D40, it was only around a while and the D60 took its place.

There are some excellent reviews on youtube for all camera makes. I would skip over the D40 and get the D60 or the Cannon Rebel XTI they say it has amazing image quality. It also comes standard with software to take live feed pictures. What you see on the computer is what you get kinda thing. its neat.

This all said, I have yet to buy one. I have been researching for a couple months. Really the D60 or the Cannon Rebel are the only way to go on a budget.
rnpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
Who's your Daddy-0!

I love my XTi Rebel
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Sony Alpha 350 here, love it.
AZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Jester View Post
how is the picture quality on it?
Well, it's 6 megapixels, which would seem pretty mediocre in a point and shoot camera...but it's a completely different ballgame with a SLR with interchangeable lenses. I shoot in both RAW and JPEG and have great quality pictures come from it. IMO, unless you are doing huge enlargements over say 20x30" or something, you really do not need anything more.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Best thing to do is to go intoa camera store and have a look at them. Pick them up and see which one feels right in your hands. I had a D80 and the reason I chose that one was that I have larger than average hands and it felt more comfortable in my grip.

Decide what you want to take pictures of and that will tell you what features are more important to you.

I have since upgraded to a D300 which has a bunch of features that help with the types of photos I like to take.
venom813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom813 View Post
Best thing to do is to go intoa camera store and have a look at them. Pick them up and see which one feels right in your hands. I had a D80 and the reason I chose that one was that I have larger than average hands and it felt more comfortable in my grip.

Decide what you want to take pictures of and that will tell you what features are more important to you.

I have since upgraded to a D300 which has a bunch of features that help with the types of photos I like to take.
I have shoot photos with a friends nikon d60 but was looking at the d40 because of the price I will be shooting; rc's, and in beach and mountain settings
Old 08-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I don't know much about all the technical details, but I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a camera.
Ask an expert, here is an interesting guide.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/12564...al_camera.html
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

The D40 is a great camera for the price.A while ago I was in the same boat as you looking for a camera.My friend has the D40 with the 18-200mm VR lense.The lense was a little pricy but would probably be the only lense you would need.Good for close up and has a great zoom range.Image quailty is great as long as you don't print really large.The D40 however,was small in my hands.I was basically holding it with 3 fingers with 2 fingers curled up and supporting the camera.Wasn't comfortable.I ended up getting a D90 and LOVE it!I really wanted a D300 but was out of my price range.To me the D90 is a camera I can grow into where the D40 is one I would grow out of and would be looking for a better camera.So I saved and got the D90.
Like it was said before,go to a camera store and hole the camera before you buy.
Don't but on Ebay,most of those Ebay stores are a scam to sell non-USA models and will try to sell you more accessories.Go with Adorama or B&H Camera.Both have great customer service and stand by what they sell.
If you like Nikons here is a site with a lot of info http://www.kenrockwell.com/ The guy is sort of a dork and some photo professionals don't like him but he does have some usefull info on his site.
72Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

im a canon guy 2 og rabels and a newer 40d which i snag from my g/f from time to time everythign interchangeable and works flawlessly
punkuup5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Canon FTW - Nikon just isn't bringing it with their lenses any more.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Nikon all the way. I run with a D2X, D200 and a D100. Love all of them to death and they out perform any other camera I have ever come into contact with. The quality is superb even at minimal levels and high ISO. Plus, the button layout and camera functions just seem logical to me compared to an Olympus, Sony, Pentax or Canon (I've used all of the above and their "SLR" style cameras).

I would suggest anything from the D40 all the way to the D90, but if you can afford it, certainly go with a D90. The added features on the D90 compared to the D40 and the D60 make it all the easier to shoot.

D90:
12.3MP @ 4.5FPS with 24FPS 720P HD video capabilities. CMOS sensor over the CCD on the D60 & D40. Unlike the D60 and D40 the D90 also has a top LCD next to many of your important functions allow you to quickly see what settings you are in rather than having to change the position of your camera to look at the back side LCD. Very useful when changing settings on the fly.

D60:
10.2MP @ 3FPS. No video capability. CCD sensor.

D40:
6.1MP @ 2.5FPS. No video capability. CCD sensor.

To combat the smaller size of these D-series cameras you may also want to check out the multi power battery pack. This is a slip on case available from Nikon that allows you to run two batteries rather than one to double the battery life as well as give you more room to hold onto the camera. This also doubles as an easier way to take vertical pictures with the added shutter button with the same functions as the bodies.

You may also went to check out the newly released D5000 or D3000. Not as many functions or capabilities, but they may suit your needs.

Just remember you get what you pay for. These cameras will last you a long time if treated properly but they certainly are a huge investment in the beginning. It may hurt you wallet but it'll certainly provide much better pictures than any P&S (point, oops, shit...). You'll get stunning pictures, to boot! ;)

Cheers,
Kyle.
Donziikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:04 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

im a nikon fan myself, i use a D60 and i love it. check out www.DPReview.com

D60
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec.../nikon_d60.asp

D40
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec.../nikon_d40.asp

a few of mine.

dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

My ex is a pro wedding photographer and has been using the D40 for over a year and a half and loves it. Seems all the professionals use the D series, most with the latest one.

With her work (she is talented though) the D40 is awesome for the price. Speaking of price Ebay is the way to go for the best deals.

For your budget and all the blah, blah, blah I heard from her the D40 is an awesome value.

Just my two cents.
yarddog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:34 AM   #17
RCC Addict

well it looks like im going to end up with the d40! and not one from ebay if im going to spend over $500 on a new camera im walking out of a store with it so that I can go back if I have any issuses with it Im trying to stay on the lower end on the digital slr's as I have to buy a new computer soon, that leads me to my next question, which camera's are mac friendly?

can someone with a nikon d40 post up some pictures they have taken so I can see the quality please?

Last edited by Wicked_Jester; 08-18-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:37 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I use a D70 and a D1X, and my wife, a pro photographer, uses a D90 and a D70. I really like the D70. I think it's the best prosumer body I've ever used.

Consider buying a used or refurbished D70. You should be able to get one cheap. As long as you're buying 100% compatible lenses, you'll love it. Double and triple check every lense before buying.
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, stay away from ebay for that stuff. A local camera shop is the way to go in case you have issues or questions. Most shops are pretty fair on their prices nowadays, but shop around at B&H or Ritz Camera and see what they are going for there, their pricepoint should be about the same as most stores.
Looks like they are going for around $500 online for the D40 body and 18-55mm kit lens.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Here is the package I would suggest if you got the dough, much more flexible...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Macs are very photo friendly. That is still one of their market shares, photography industry.
venom813 is offline   Reply With Quote