Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: My Mutt street bike project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default My Mutt street bike project

Just picked up a cheap roller from the 'bay that will get me started on my wintertime project. It is some china clone crf50. It doesn't look built to take jumping, but I won't be hitting more than speedbumps on it anyway. I have a Honda CRF50 motor that will be the power plant, maybe get an 88 kit in the future.

My plans are to remove the body, add another seat, get some dual sport tires, make a light kit, and lengthen the frame. With the frame lengthening I will add a jackshaft and electric motor drive system as well for quiet downtown cruising and breakneck acceleration to 25mph. If my lathe is running properly I may fabricate a new swingarm and frame from chromoly.

It ain't much, but it will be a good start to some fun. I will be particularly pleased with the semi-auto transmission, since it allows the bike to be an unlicensed scooter in my state.
Attached Images

JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Looks like a killer little project.

Time to get the big bore kit from performance 50's
A nice long travel fork, some nice dual purpose tires and you'll have a nice little runabout
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Just got it running last night. Boy that stock wiring harness was a huge mess. I only needed a few wires anyway so I ripped out everything and redid it. The honda engine purrs like a kitten, it started up with just one gentle kick.

Got a trailtech Vapor on there, and headlights/tail lights too. I don't have a lighting stator yet, so I am just using a battery pack that I recharge at home for the time being. I need to get a new brake light switch. The one on my front lever is a normally closed, I need a normally open one.

Some blinkers, paint, and the lighting stator wind will round out the project in the current form. I plan to lengthen it and then mess around with the electrical system, maybe put an electric motor on there. I really want to try some hybrid systems to see if efficiency is higher or not.

JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote