Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Talk about a hard lesson learned.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Talk about a hard lesson learned.

A few of us were out at a local play area thats also known for alot of ORV use (reiter) and I wheel it quite often since I am like 7 minutes from it.

In any case here is a vid from today on learning a lesson the hard way. Siince my buddy didn't have a winch recovery was a lil harder (had I had my rig there it would have been a sinch).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wUB6Fd9SoI
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

That guy had no business being out there alone. Looks like the runner did all right leaving him with something to think about. Wonder how much he craigslisted it for....naah probably traded it back for his old Scion
I broke the first 2 rules a few weeks ago, but I can drive....mostly. And I'm always prepared.
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
Hateraide

that guy is an idiot, and i bet he wont learn from his mistake
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon7 View Post
That guy had no business being out there alone. Looks like the runner did all right leaving him with something to think about. Wonder how much he craigslisted it for....naah probably traded it back for his old Scion
I broke the first 2 rules a few weeks ago, but I can drive....mostly. And I'm always prepared.
I actually go out solo here and there. But my rig is well built, I have plenty of tools and always prepair to spent the night . But with that being said--even being a good driver doesn't ensure we won't have an accident of some kind. The sport/hobby of wheelin is far from safe....
Old 09-15-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
that guy is an idiot, and i bet he wont learn from his mistake
I dunno--should have seen the look on his face when the rid was sliding on the hardtop

As for the idiot part--100%
Old 09-15-2009, 01:22 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I refuse to try to count all the mistakes "JEEP Guy" made just in that clip. But I wouldn't have left him there either.

Me and some buddies once spent about 4hrs getting some "kids" out of a part of the mud spot we used to have access to... they were in a part that we wouldn't try playing in (w/ it being winter and all)

Gotta love it though
shierkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #7
Who's your Daddy-0!

I would have been pissed after he rolled into you If he didn't listen to you in the beginning I would have said fawk it and left him on his roof! What a dumb ass!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:34 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

You should have just done a Shannon Campbell and driven over him.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:14 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Brilliant.

I wouldn't have let him repo the strap; he's that dumb there's no way he's going to know where to put it.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
I would have been pissed after he rolled into you If he didn't listen to you in the beginning I would have said fawk it and left him on his roof! What a dumb ass!
Haha....it didnt seem to damage the 4Runner at all!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I hope you made him clean up his mess before you left him.
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

info on that runners front bumper please ?
it looks trail proven. i got a buddy looking to build up his 06 runner.
i like how it crushed Mr. J.C. Whitney's bumper.

i do a ton of single truck wheeling, but i always have my recovery gear handy.
i also never try anything that i know could put my rig or passengers in danger.

still, even though you were dealing with a noob you got the job done rather quickly man, hats off to you guys for that one.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Poor fool.
But on a side note I love that runner.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #14
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I would have been a bit more short with him. Either I help and you shut up, or I leave. Don't get in my way please.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

The runner is my buddy's 3rd gen. Don't know much about it except the front bumper is by badlands offroad.

Stupid just breeds stupid. So yes while this guy was an idiot I did chat with him and told him how it was. I get calls like this all the time, I have even had search and rescue call me in the middle of the night. Not only because I have a rig that will go just about anyplace up there but I also know the area quite well.

But ya the guy made some dumb choices and payed for them...

As for the glass--I am hoping he cleaned his mess up...
Old 09-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #16
RCC Addict

first problem - he was riding a jeep instead of a toyota

lol i j/k i love jeeps

but seriously that guy was a douche.
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

wow thats was a good vid. I was expecting something more dangerous due to the position the people and the camera lady were standing at with the line up of the tow strap. In my line of business when your doing a pull like that you dont stand inline with it at all and jus plain get the hell out of the way. But the rigging you did there was awesome and im sure you know what your doing. And from what it looks like that strap was at least a 2 ply and on a straight pull they can hold a fair amount. But thank you for the vid and i will always remember it...
DareDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareDiver View Post
wow thats was a good vid. I was expecting something more dangerous due to the position the people and the camera lady were standing at with the line up of the tow strap. In my line of business when your doing a pull like that you dont stand inline with it at all and jus plain get the hell out of the way. But the rigging you did there was awesome and im sure you know what your doing. And from what it looks like that strap was at least a 2 ply and on a straight pull they can hold a fair amount. But thank you for the vid and i will always remember it...
Good point and lets not forget that point. But nice thing about the type of straps we use(should be using) when they break--they have verry little wiegth for the build up of enenergy--and will fall to the ground pretty fast. The same can be said about winch rope--which is the only thing I will ever run and have for the last 5-6 years.

Thats a good point Daredriver and those of you who know--could you imagine if chain was used--now there is something to fear for sure.....
Old 09-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
Good point and lets not forget that point. But nice thing about the type of straps we use(should be using) when they break--they have verry little wiegth for the build up of enenergy--and will fall to the ground pretty fast. The same can be said about winch rope--which is the only thing I will ever run and have for the last 5-6 years.

Thats a good point Daredriver and those of you who know--could you imagine if chain was used--now there is something to fear for sure.....
Ah yes that does make sense being fabric it would fall quickly. I guess im jus a "what if" type of person and when poo hits the fan it really hits the fan. Better to be jus out of the way jus in case. Have a good day, thanks again for the vid
DareDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareDiver View Post
Ah yes that does make sense being fabric it would fall quickly. I guess im jus a "what if" type of person and when poo hits the fan it really hits the fan. Better to be jus out of the way jus in case. Have a good day, thanks again for the vid
But your point is something that--no matter what is used should be practiced IMO... Safety first... Sucks when folks get hurt when trying to help somebody else out of a bad situation...