Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Cody "Little Griz" is going dirt bike racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
PapaGriz Yo

Default Cody "Little Griz" is going dirt bike racing

WTF is wrong with me??? As if my life wasn't busy and complicated enough. I was just starting to get caught back up on money...but I just couldn't say no.

Ever since I got word that I was going to have a son 7.5 years ago I had dirt bike plans for him. We did his first bedroom with dirt bike wallpaper, the first clothes he ever wore was a Travis Pastrana sleeper, and he and I used to sit on the couch and watch motocross together. Ever since he turned 4 I asked if he wanted a dirt bike and he always said no. I was sooo bummed, heck he didn't even want to ride a bicycle.

Then, on Sept 13th I took the family to watch my friend's race in a Hare Scramble. After the race, it turns out that John's 5yo son was going to race in his first race on his KTM 50 so we stayed to cheer him on. After about 22.5 seconds Cody tells me and Heather, "I don't want to play soccer anymore, I want to race motorcycles". I NEVER saw that one coming!!

So I tell him, if you want to race next month you need to learn to ride your bike with no training wheels before you can ride a dirt bike. He was a bit disappointed but agreed to do it. We got home from the races and he immediately had us remove the training wheels and within about 30 minutes he was riding on his own.
So that Tuesday I found a 2003 KTM 50 SX Pro Junior. Most of the gear we had saved from when Tyler was riding. Including the Brian Deegan spiked roost protector.

The following Saturday I took him out to John's house and after 2 hours, a clutch adjustment, and a couple crashes he was riding around the practice track on his own.
That Sunday we went back out to John's and worked on speed, throttle control, and braking.
When we had to leave he said "I don't want to go back to school, I just want to stay at John's and ride my motorcycle everyday".

So in 1 week he went from a bike with training wheels to riding a motorcycle over the whoops.

Last weekend we took him out to the VDR track to practice. He crashed pretty bad on a long downhill corner because he didn't really know what to do but he got right back on. I didn't realize the corner was on such a steep downhill. For the next few laps I would wait at that corner and then run along side of him telling him "use your brakes just a little bit" and he got much better.

I'm so proud I can't stand it. His first race will be Oct 18th so in order to help him be ready we are going to the track again this weekend. I'll have to miss the first RC Crawling comp of the season, but Cody has never been so focused as he is on the goal of racing and winning his first trophy so I've got to do all I can to help him achieve his goal.

I'll keep you all posted.
Attached Images

Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

thats awesome of you.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Get it!!
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

We'll miss ya on Sunday Grizz but it looks to me like you'll be having more fun anyway.
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Hateraide

thats awesome, keep us posted on how he does, its good when a kid has that much determination and actually wants to do it
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thats GREAT, & remember make it FUN all the time!
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That is sooo cool! I am going to have kids just so we can go riding together!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Now the only reasonable thing for you to do is to get a KTM for yourself Then you can tell the wife it's just to go riding with Cody
wrx-n-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I think its just the cutest thing when you see a lil guy all decked out in gear racing around on one of those lil bikes
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post

thats awesome of you.
Thanks Mr. Slave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
Get it!!
We're getting there, thanks rebaron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrockr View Post
We'll miss ya on Sunday Grizz but it looks to me like you'll be having more fun anyway.
Yeah, I hate to miss it and hang with you guys but this is just too important. Thanks Pickles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
thats awesome, keep us posted on how he does, its good when a kid has that much determination and actually wants to do it
I will. I've never seen him want anything so much before, it's great. Thanks Code.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer19 View Post
Thats GREAT, & remember make it FUN all the time!
Thanks speedracer. At first I wasn't sure about all the "breaks" he wanted to take but I quickly remembered to not push him. So we ride as much as he wants to and I only have him try new things when he asks to. So far he seems to be having lots of fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
That is sooo cool! I am going to have kids just so we can go riding together!
That's what I thought too. It's finally coming true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx-n-ktm View Post
Now the only reasonable thing for you to do is to get a KTM for yourself Then you can tell the wife it's just to go riding with Cody
Well, I'd have to get rid of my RM250 first. All my friends have switched to KTM because they seem to be the best for off-road riding (not MX), I may switch but I'm still not sure. I can't afford a different bike yet anyway. Thanks wrx.
We appreciate the good words guys.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

Video!!!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
I think its just the cutest thing when you see a lil guy all decked out in gear racing around on one of those lil bikes
Without a doubt crash. It makes me smile every time.

A couple of the big kids gave him a "nod" at the track the other day, Cody asked what that meant so we explained that meant they thought you were cool. He said "I should have done it back, next time I will".
Old 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #13
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Video!!!
Will do Juan. For the first race for sure, but we'll see if Heather can get some this weekend.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Without a doubt crash. It makes me smile every time.

A couple of the big kids gave him a "nod" at the track the other day, Cody asked what that meant so we explained that meant they thought you were cool. He said "I should have done it back, next time I will".
I was down camping/wheeling with my kids at a place called tillimuck state forest and a family down a few had a 5 year old. He had the full gear(just like yours) and was racing around in an open area. I was so amuzed by it I was out there snapping pictures of him. I talked with his parents and got there email addy and when I got home--I sent them the pics. I could imagion a bunch of them racing around a track has gotta be just something cool to see...

This also falls into that catagory---you know when your old when........
Old 10-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Awesome Griz! I say stay with the Zuk...orange is overrated and overpriced anyway.

I told Colton if he could show me he could ride a bicycle without training wheels and be in control and safe, Id get him a motorcycle. That was almost exactly 4 years ago, it was a good Xmas. He's been riding without trainers since he was 4. Mason took just a little longer, it was just after his 5th B-day. It's nice to be able to pass the bikes down to the next one. I've already got the 50 sold when it's time for everyone to move up again.

Those HS and the RMEC are really catering to the families and kids anymore...something both series desperately need IMHO.
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #16

Thats really coolHe looks like a natural!
kyle_C72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #17
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
I was down camping/wheeling with my kids at a place called tillimuck state forest and a family down a few had a 5 year old. He had the full gear(just like yours) and was racing around in an open area. I was so amuzed by it I was out there snapping pictures of him. I talked with his parents and got there email addy and when I got home--I sent them the pics. I could imagion a bunch of them racing around a track has gotta be just something cool to see...

This also falls into that catagory---you know when your old when........
Great story, I bet the kid was really happy.
Yeah, the skill level between the kids is quite a bit but they are all trying so hard you end up cheering and helping all of them.
And yes, it does make you feel old, but in a good way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaDShorT View Post
Awesome Griz! I say stay with the Zuk...orange is overrated and overpriced anyway.

I told Colton if he could show me he could ride a bicycle without training wheels and be in control and safe, Id get him a motorcycle. That was almost exactly 4 years ago, it was a good Xmas. He's been riding without trainers since he was 4. Mason took just a little longer, it was just after his 5th B-day. It's nice to be able to pass the bikes down to the next one. I've already got the 50 sold when it's time for everyone to move up again.

Those HS and the RMEC are really catering to the families and kids anymore...something both series desperately need IMHO.
I still love the Zuk, I bought it from an Areacross racer when it was a year old so the suspension is set up well. Although it may be a bit stiff for trail riding it is nice on the track. My 125 from a few years ago was a Zuk too; the way the RM's handle tight turns and the powerband of the motor just really suits my riding style.
Yeah, the HS is the perfect way for Cody to get into it I think. I think they are doing a good thing.

When Cody gets better we'll have to go riding Shorty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_C72 View Post
Thats really coolHe looks like a natural!
I keep trying tell him to keep those elbows up but his arms get tired. Otherwise I agree kyle. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Come on dad--some video
Old 10-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #19
RCC Addict

thats awesome griz, wish my kids would have gotten into motorcycles. sorry you wont make it . its not the same without you buddy. tell him good luck and have fun...
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #20
Built, not bought

Tell him that we're all rooting for him.Best of luck and don't forget to keep us posted.

P.S. Is it too late for you to adopt me?
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote