http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #82
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Double diffusers banned from 2011

By Jonathan Noble Friday, January 22nd 2010, 11:15 GMT

Double diffuserFormula 1 technical chiefs have officially agreed to ban double diffusers from the start of next year, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

A move to cut aerodynamic downforce was discussed with the FIA in Thursday's meeting of F1 think-tank the Technical Working Group, where agreement was necessary if the changes were to be implemented in future regulations.

Sources have confirmed to AUTOSPORT that a vote approved the tweaks to aerodynamics - with a tidying up of the controversial diffuser rules effectively outlawing double diffusers from the start of next season.

It is understood that the teams approved a requirement that the diffuser surface must be continuous on its inboard section from the start of 2011. This prevents the use of the controversial 'slots' that were key to making the double diffuser work.

The matter still needs to get approval from the Formula 1 Commission and the FIA's World Sport Council before being put in the 2011 technical regulations, but this is believed to be a formality if the TWG has already voted in favour.

Double diffusers caused huge controversy at the start of 2009 when the design concept used by Brawn GP, Williams and Toyota was protested by rival outfits. The complaints to stewards fell on deaf ears, however - meaning the matter eventually went to the FIA International Court of Appeal.

The ICA ruled that the diffusers were wholly legal - which forced a number of teams on the grid to revamp their cars to make the most of the advantage provided by double diffusers.

A move to outlaw them now has come about because teams have made such progress in increasing downforce that this season cars are expected to be producing more than at the end of 2008 - when teams were asked to reduce downforce with a dramatic change to the regulations.

Sources have told AUTOSPORT that the aerodynamic changes for 2011 will increase lap times by around two seconds.

Although the diffuser ban goes some way to arresting some of the progress made by teams since the end of 2008, there remain calls for a more thorough rethink.

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner, whose team had to integrate a double diffuser onto its car in the middle of last season, believes that changes should go beyond simple rule tweaks.

"I think the most important thing is to set clear objectives - as to what do the governing body and the promoters want F1 to be," he told AUTOSPORT last weekend. "What do they want the F1 cars to be able to do?

"Then rather than cherry picking at bits and pieces, we can look at the package as a whole to encourage more overtaking, and to enable the cars to follow more closely.

"I think looking at components in isolation is often quite dangerous, so I think it is important that the overall objective is clearly defined and then worked on by the various technical groups."

The TWG also approved a regulation tweak to impose a maximum height for the chassis, for safety reasons.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #83
MODERATOR™

Did you catch this part?

Quote:
Sources have told AUTOSPORT that the aerodynamic changes for 2011 will increase lap times by around two seconds.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Put 'em back on 5-inch tires
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Personally I thought last season was one of the best F1 seasons I have ever watched I sure hope the changes don't screw that up the FIA has a tendency to over do changes. I'm also hoping but I'm not sure that Michael won't pick up where he left off some of those years were kind boring IMO.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

I was discussing this with a buddy just this week.

The big manufacturers are leaving F1, and the privateers are having a difficult time paying for all the BS rules and requirements "the Bernie and Max show" established back in 2008-2009. We were discussing the Fittipaldi and Andretti days of F1, and what it would take to possibly save this sport.

1) No electronics on board. What I mean by this is no telemetry, no electronically controlled diffs, no traction control, no micro-second shifted transmissions, blah blah blah. The ignition can be run by a magneto, and go back to carburetors (remember those?). How about a steering wheel with one purpose, steering?

2) No limitations to engine designs. Limit the overall displacement, allow any number of cylinders, and allow turbos again!

3) Body aerodynamics, no movable structures, and a set size/configuration of down-force producing surfaces.

You get the basic idea, go back to the roots of F1, where privateers could design their own chassis and engine and have a chance against the likes of Ferrari and McLaren. I know F1 has been the birthplace of advancements in automotive technology, but the rules currently in place are restricting the free thinking that gave-us most of those advances, time for a change.
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Hell yeah, bring back the 1100hp turbos!

Privateers were never really a force in F1, the factory teams always had and always will have more and better resources. The Indy 500 is where you used to see some real oddball shit (turbines, offset chassis, the first wings) but that's turned into a spec race now. I tried to watch the last one but fell asleep. Never bothered to find out who won, and how sad is that? The 500 used to be THE race. Now it's just NASCAR without fenders.

You'll never see carbs in F1 again. It's been so long there's nobody left that knows how they work. A lot of street tech has trickled down from F1. Paddle shifters (give me a real shift lever, thank you) traction control, EFI, all that stuff came from F1. But there is such a thing as too much technology, and we're pretty much there already.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #88
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
But there is such a thing as too much technology, and we're pretty much there already.
No we're not, it's just not sorted yet.

And GaySgt, that class sounds like an amateur SCCA class.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
...that class sounds like an amateur SCCA class.
Kids, this is what happens when you drink too much nappy ice...

No, I don't see a amateur class, I see the days of:

If F1 stays on the path it's on now, this is what we should expect by 2012...

Old 01-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Yup thats not even SCCA not that theres anything wrong with the SCCA rich guys with very little talent driving best and newest equipment and smucks driving the stuff the rich guys already wore out

Last edited by Stormin2u; 01-22-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Yup thats not even SCCA not that theres anything wrong with the SCCA rich guys with very little talent driving best and newest equipment and smucks driving the stuff the rich guys already wore out

Are you guys saying that F1 drivers are talentless? (If we are talking about that Fernando guy, I guess you guys have a point)
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

I wasn't I was commenting on my SCCA past life.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
Are you guys saying that F1 drivers are talentless?
Just the Japanese ones...
Old 01-23-2010, 06:34 AM   #94
Rock Stacker

Is a recreation 35 year later of the original race, otherwise ..
I may be in that pic. !!
In 1973 I was watching with my father this GP street circuit of Montjuic,
and that was one of my favorite places. Of course my lovely moped also wore gold on black John Player Special logos .

In this incredible street circuit is also celebrated endurance 24 hours bike racing .

I have lived many years in Barcelona and I remember, not whether this year or another close, having waited several hours after closing to see if he could sneak into the pit aera only to watch closely the 6-wheel Tyrrell Ford. Still remember the emotion.

Quote:

Last edited by trucktrial; 01-23-2010 at 06:36 AM.
trucktrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Now thats amazing.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Those guys actually took a hand off the steering wheel to shift! And look at the primitive aero, they might slide going around a corner! And they'd even pass for position!

Those guys were drivers. Today's lot might as well be playing video games.

Wait, sometimes you pass in a video game
Old 01-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Ya got to admit we did see some passing in 2009 more than in many previous seasons so the 2009 rule changes helped some. Unfortunately once everyone was aerodynamically on the same page the passing stopped because of the turbulence behind the cars. If they had ruled against the Braun rear diffuser it might have been a completely different season.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #98
MODERATOR™

Alright! Finally, a USF1 driver announced.

Quote:
Jose Maria Lopez is a former GP2 driver who has recently been racing in his native Argentina’s touring car championship.
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...onfirms-lopez/

Quote:
“Lopez is a consummate professional and born leader,” Windsor said. “The most revealing thing about his character was how he handled the disappointment of not racing for Renault after three years of testing with them in F1. Instead of moping around and feeling sorry for himself, he returned to Argentina and totally dominated the local scene, winning 38 races and three championships. He became a major star as a result and, in turn, the Argentine nation – a country where F1 is second only to soccer - has got behind him."
That sounds pretty good!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

We'll see. Three years with Renault and he didn't get a seat? Could mean he's worse than Alonso.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
We'll see. Three years with Renault and he didn't get a seat? Could mean he's worse than Alonso.
, schumi for the win, even if it's not on a red uniform
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i mean honestly?, what are we doing here