Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Anyone Else Believe NFL Could Be Rigged?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 04:51 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Anyone Else Believe NFL Could Be Rigged?

The concept of watching a bunch of millionaires play games is somewhat strange. In an average NFL game, the ball is only in play for about 11 1/2 minutes (fact). So why do we spend 2 1/2 hours watching a game? I believe the answer to that is called marketing.

We certainly don't choose to spend 2 1/2 hours watching millionaires playing polo at their exclusive club . . . at least I don't (ha). What is it about this multi-billion dollar industry that keeps so many people interested, captivated, totally dedicated to their teams?

I used to be a significant fan of the NFL - I kept up with many teams, stats, and so forth (I remember Rocky Blier, Roger Staubach, so many others). My father and I used to enjoy watching NFL games - good entertainment.

Several years ago my brother-in-law told me he "knew" the NFL was rigged.

I laughed . . . I never took him seriously but . . . when I saw things happen, over and over again, that were truly WTF moments . . . I began wondering . . . maybe . . . could it be?

Then I began investigating . . . wondering . . . could this be rigged?

Now, I'm not saying I totally believe the NFL is rigged - I'm just saying I believe it could be - some games - some players - some officials - there is a LOT of evidence to substantiate a valid claim the game is rigged - but much of that same evidence is, to one degree or another, highly subjective (ideas based on opinions, not facts)

My brother-in-law made the claim "There is so much money in the NFL it HAS to be rigged"

In a way, that does sound reasonable the game is rigged - but in a way, it really doesn't.

All I know is some plays are just too f'ed up - many times I used to ask myself "How can a defensive secondary who, collectively make a million dollars each game, allow that receiver to be wide open - again? Many, many similar observations could be listed here, of course.

A few years ago I began collecting some of the most ridiculous things that were happening in the NFL - the evidence seemed overwhelming and I lost interest. To me, the NFL seemed like "pro wrestling" and I quit watching.

I totally love the amazing plays - slo-mo's of the one handed, totally twisted body, somehow grasping the ball and holding it while dragging both toes just inside the line catches - the amazing runs where the running back plows directly into two defenders and somehow manages to keep going. Is all that rigged? No, of course not. At least, I don't think so.

I do still wonder if some parts of some games are rigged - if you think it's possible, then I believe there is a boatload of evidence to support your opinion. If you don't think it's possible, then I am NOT arguing with you!

I do find it interesting to hear your opinions - let's go.

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2018, 06:46 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Anyone Else Believe NFL Could Be Rigged?

I'm going to put this in the same light as other "conspiracy theories"...

You can't have that many people, and I'm not just talking about the players, I'm talking about all the support personnel on and off the field, the sports media, ect, without someone blabbling about it. It would be impossible to keep that kind of secret with all those moving parts.

My sister works in the film industry. She always has a chuckle whenever someone claims the moon landing was a Hollywood production. For the same reason I said, there are too many "moving parts" in a production to keep that kind of secret.

How many people in business have signed NDAs and still likely leaked info to media outlets. Look at "unnamed sources" in the news.

The point is, we, as a whole suck at keeping secrets.

What I do see on Sunday:

Refs making really dumb calls

Defenses misreading or being deceived by an offensive formation, thus being way out of position.

A receiver and a QB not being on the same page when the ball goes one way while the receiver goes the other.

Really bad tackling rules that result in defenders not being able to wrap up guys properly, thus the offensive player gets big yardage.

I can go on...

The reason why these guys get paid what they do is the free market at work. The average pay for a DB is ~$10 million. That means a mediocre corner is likely making low seven figures. The money these guys get paid isn't totally tied to their skill, but also need by the team. If, in a given off season, there is a dearth of corners on the market, some guys are going to make more than their skill level.

To conclude, no I don't think it is fixed.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:50 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Meh.... I think the cheer leaders are rigged... Or at the very least, stacked.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:56 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

To add...

I always felt the pro-wrestling comparison was a poor one. Even when I was a kid in the 80s, I could watch WWF and know that crap was fake. They didn't even try to hide it. I'm amazed those guys didn't injure themselves stopping all those punches an elbows so short.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:58 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Meh.... I think the cheer leaders are rigged... Or at the very least, stacked.
Or as someone said on another thread: "Pro-Mod series"...
Old 11-09-2018, 08:20 AM   #6

Yes, it can be rigged. I believe some pro games are rigged.

It has been proven in the distant past in the 1919 World Series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sox_Scandal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919_World_Series

As for the NFL it is a joke in its current form. I was a diehard fan. Then the games started getting longer and now they are too long. Football also used to be a contact sport. Now there are so many things you can't do. It's become so bad that you can barely hit a quarterback. Both of these things made me completely wash my hands of the NFL years ago. I did watch last year's Superbowl since the hometown Eagles were in it, and to my astonishment, somehow won. But other than that I don't care about football nor do I miss it. And then the whole kneeling scandal with overpaid scumbags wanting to kneel during the National Anthem ensured that I'm staying away.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 11-09-2018 at 08:24 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Yes, it can be rigged. I believe some pro games are rigged.

It has been proven in the distant past in the 1919 World Series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sox_Scandal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919_World_Series
Yes, but there is a big difference between the mob paying a few guys to under perform and having the entire league in on a big fix. Back in 1919, the players made squat and were bitter enough about it to throw a game. Since the advent of player's unions, free agency and larger player paychecks, players have pretty much zero incentive to throw games for organized crime. A lot of these players now actually do think about life after sports and aren't going to jeopardize that. Also the mob doesn't have the juice to pull that kind of thing anymore. It has really become "unorganized crime".
Old 11-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
Yes, but there is a big difference between the mob paying a few guys to under perform and having the entire league in on a big fix. Back in 1919, the players made squat and were bitter enough about it to throw a game. Since the advent of player's unions, free agency and larger player paychecks, players have pretty much zero incentive to throw games for organized crime. A lot of these players now actually do think about life after sports and aren't going to jeopardize that. Also the mob doesn't have the juice to pull that kind of thing anymore. It has really become "unorganized crime".
There's always somebody that could benefit by making a lot of money by fixing games. These days it could be Draft Kings or one of those betting organizations or who knows. But players would have to be paid a lot more now that they make huge salaries like you mentioned.

What's sad is that the US was a better place when the mob had more power...
Old 11-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
There's always somebody that could benefit by making a lot of money by fixing games. These days it could be Draft Kings or one of those betting organizations or who knows. But players would have to be paid a lot more now that they make huge salaries like you mentioned.

What's sad is that the US was a better place when the mob had more power...
You mean when the mob ran Vegas and was filling the desert with bodies? Yeah... Good times...

I will give you the Draft Kings thing. Not as a "fix" but the tweaking of the rules to benefit offenses and increase scoring. Sadly high scores drive ratings more than defense and offense is about 75% of scoring in fantasy football. I will call it more of a cause and effect. The NFL decides to make the game more "exciting" by making it a little easier for offenses. DK is the immediate beneficiary of this.

Last edited by skinnyj; 11-09-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

If it was rigged my boys in Navy & Orange would have another championship by now (except for the Marc Trestman and John Fox coaching years). They're in too big of a market not to have one.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
If it was rigged my boys in Navy & Orange would have another championship by now (except for the Marc Trestman and John Fox coaching years). They're in too big of a market not to have one.
The one good thing John Fox did for the Bears was to pull Danny Trevathen from Denver. I know my Broncos miss him.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:55 AM   #12

Quote:
You mean when the mob ran Vegas and was filling the desert with bodies? Yeah... Good times...
That shit is happening now. But the mob had other gangs in check. And, as laughable as it is, the mob handled organized crime with more respect especially for innocent people. It's not like the MS-13 gang, as an example, that will kill just to kill. So yes, the times were better back then IMO.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The one good thing John Fox did for the Bears was to pull Danny Trevathen from Denver. I know my Broncos miss him.
I'll have to agree with you there. I love him. He's a big part of our D now.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I don't think it is rigged although there were a few times that I thought it had to of been. But, I haven't watched a game in a few years. I used to be a Raiders fan. Had Howie Long and Lyle Alzado posters in my room. Now I couldn't care less. Even with the Raiders moving to Nevada I have some relatives that ask "how excited are you?". My reply, "I couldn't give two sh!ts".

I am not sure where I lost interest. Probably a lot to do when it became a political event as much as a sporting event. When the rules changed to pussify the game but I am conflicted because I support some of the rules. I now suffer effects of too many concussions early in my life and I see these guys beating the sh!t out of themselves.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

https://youtu.be/ldkkVWgyvG4
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

He was was either trying to avoid a PI call or a personal foul for a hit on a defenseless receiver.

That is a tough spot in a playoff game. Take a PI/PF and the Vikings are in field goal range and possibly tie the game. A personal foul would have been especially bad, as that is 15 yards or half the distance to the goal line from the spot of the foul. However, pull up to avoid the foul and you get that.

I remember Superbowl 50, when Aquib Talib said he purposely facemasked a guy breaking away for a TD. Everyone was all outraged by it, but what he said made sense. Take the foul and stop the guy from scoring. Take the penalty and still have a chance to stop the other team. The other option was to let him score the TD.

Last edited by skinnyj; 11-09-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Does it REALLY matter if it is rigged? Unless your life is somehow impacted by the results of the games, what does it really matter? I have teams I like, those I don't, but in the end, win or lose, it does not effect my life one little bit. Some people take this whole mess why too seriously, I work with a couple of guys that will not show up to work if the Seahawks don't win (no, I am not a Sea-turd fan). To me, this is taking something that you are completely removed from way too seriously.

I personally think some outcomes are controlled, but for the most part the "powers" that be let the games unfold naturally. I will say, I do find the Saints Superbowl win dubious, it was just to much of a 'feel good after a tragedy' moment.

For most of us, pro sports of any kind is just entertainment, and as long as we are being entertained, it is all good, rigged or not.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I laughed pretty hard when I heard the lions beat the patriots a while back. (mostly because my mom is/ was die hard patriots fan)

I say its half rigged. good on them they get paid that much. I wish I could score that kind of a check for a few years.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Does it REALLY matter if it is rigged? Unless your life is somehow impacted by the results of the games, what does it really matter? I have teams I like, those I don't, but in the end, win or lose, it does not effect my life one little bit. Some people take this whole mess why too seriously, I work with a couple of guys that will not show up to work if the Seahawks don't win (no, I am not a Sea-turd fan). To me, this is taking something that you are completely removed from way too seriously.

I personally think some outcomes are controlled, but for the most part the "powers" that be let the games unfold naturally. I will say, I do find the Saints Superbowl win dubious, it was just to much of a 'feel good after a tragedy' moment.

For most of us, pro sports of any kind is just entertainment, and as long as we are being entertained, it is all good, rigged or not.
The only time I really felt cheated and wondered about that was after a game when the Chiefs played the Broncos on MNF this past September. Patrick Mahomes clearly took the snap a solid 1-2 seconds after the play clock hit zero and the zebras let it go instead of calling a delay of game. This ended up being the game winning drive for the Chiefs. However, the Broncos could have easily won that game in the last minute of play if Case Keenum doesn't overthrow a wide open Demarius Thomas whom would have walked into the end zone untouched. It was the play clock thing combined with Joe Tessitore's constant love-fest for Patrick Mahomes during the entire game that made the thing feel tilted.

As for the "feel-good" angle... I live in Patriot Nation. These fans have become as obnoxious as Yankees fans. Especially with the whole "the NFL is against us!!! The rest of the fans hate us because they are jealous!!!" nonsense. I love floating that their first Superbowl victory was fixed. Right after Spet 11, 2001, an underdog team, fittingly named the Patriots wins the Superbowl... You get the idea... Makes their heads explode every time...
Old 11-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The only time I really felt cheated and wondered about that was after a game when the Chiefs played the Broncos on MNF this past September. Patrick Mahomes clearly took the snap a solid 1-2 seconds after the play clock hit zero and the zebras let it go instead of calling a delay of game. This ended up being the game winning drive for the Chiefs. However, the Broncos could have easily won that game in the last minute of play if Case Keenum doesn't overthrow a wide open Demarius Thomas whom would have walked into the end zone untouched. It was the play clock thing combined with Joe Tessitore's constant love-fest for Patrick Mahomes during the entire game that made the thing feel tilted.

As for the "feel-good" angle... I live in Patriot Nation. These fans have become as obnoxious as Yankees fans. Especially with the whole "the NFL is against us!!! The rest of the fans hate us because they are jealous!!!" nonsense. I love floating that their first Superbowl victory was fixed. Right after Spet 11, 2001, an underdog team, fittingly named the Patriots wins the Superbowl... You get the idea... Makes their heads explode every time...
I was stationed up there twice for training in that cesspool called 'Connecticut', I know EXACTLY what you are talking about with N.E. fans. Being born and raised in Nor Cal, I am a native 49er fan, but my other favorite teams are anyone playing Dallas, New England, and Seattle.

Anyone Else Believe NFL Could Be Rigged? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NFL Playoffs R/CMaxximus5.0 Chit Chat 17 01-06-2010 11:04 AM
NFL season 666 Chit Chat 5 01-04-2010 07:02 AM