Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Buy a new bike from a dead company?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Buy a new bike from a dead company?

i've been wanting a new bike ever since i have been riding but i have always bought a wrecked bike and fixed everything but the plastics. and since buell are the best cornering bike ever and they are American made. i have always wanted a buell. but 1 week a ago the company said that harley pulled it's plug and wont be producing new motorcycle. but they still will have parts and reconigize all warranty's untill they run out. the 09 ulysses were 12k before the announcement, and now i can pick one up for 7300. the question is would you buy a bike from a company that is dead. almost every buell on the dealers floor are gone nation wide already. i'm torn over this delima. could you guys please give your thoughts
limpy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

just do it. Ive always felt if you want something get it. why wait why question it life is to short so do what you want make the most out of it have fun. waiting is for people that dont know what that want and worry about the things they have. dont stress on it just get it. just my .02
jammin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin311 View Post
....people that dont know what that want and worry about the things they have.
sounds like every women i've meet
Old 10-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

yea women suck and if they dont they should
jammin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I would get it since the warranty is still being honored by Harley. Ive ridden one and they are very impressive.
firekiddc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
RCC Addict

people are still buying GM's....
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

they didn't announce they will not make a single vehicle again though, just cut some brands. as long as the still have chevy they can survive
Old 10-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I would go for it especially since the warranty will be honored.I REALLY miss my 96' S1.Plus I don't Eric Buell will let the name die.
72Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpy88 View Post
they didn't announce they will not make a single vehicle again though, just cut some brands. as long as the still have chevy they can survive

Exactly the same idea; Buell is the brand being cut and the company still makes Harleys.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #10

Quote:
i've been wanting a new bike ever since i have been riding but i have always bought a wrecked bike and fixed everything but the plastics. and since buell are the best cornering bike ever and they are American made. i have always wanted a buell. but 1 week a ago the company said that harley pulled it's plug and wont be producing new motorcycle. but they still will have parts and reconigize all warranty's untill they run out. the 09 ulysses were 12k before the announcement, and now i can pick one up for 7300. the question is would you buy a bike from a company that is dead. almost every buell on the dealers floor are gone nation wide already. i'm torn over this delima. could you guys please give your thoughts
I work on bikes for a living, and race sport bikes(when I have time). personally I think your taking the wrong approach to this. You need to consider what your going to do with the bike and how it compares to similar bikes on the market. The warranty issue on a bike should be the least of your worries, especially with Harley. They are a long lasting company(somehow) but honor their warranty, mostly. I would say, find a buell forum man. I'm not saying there isnt good info here, its like asking buell owners if they like axial or bully's?

Last edited by RickyG; 10-26-2009 at 06:22 AM.
RickyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Buying a new bike is the best thing ever. It's like you're 8 years old on Christmas morning, and your dad takes you out to the garage and there's a brand new dirtbike with a bow on it.....and he tells you it's yours!

To your main question: Would I buy a bike from a company that was dead. Hell no. They died for a reason.

The Buells I've always seen as a mediocre gimick at its best. You will most likely not be happy with the reliability, Buell is a Harley after all, so stuff is going to fall off and/or snap in half from the vibration. It is NOT the best cornering bike in the world; it can't be with all that rotating mass at the outside of the front rim, the belt drive will be a source of disappointment in both performance and wear, and a 200lb engine that is mounted four inches too high in the chassis....???

That's Buell in general. The Ulysses might be another matter. Dunno. It's not a model I've gotten very familiar with. I personally would never gamble on a bike that is claimed to be great from a company that has only ever made vibrating junk. Why would only one model be different from all the rest? You want an adventure/long-haul-travelling bike? Look at BMW GS, Suzuki V-Strom, Ducati Multi-Strada, Ducati Hypermotard (bichin if you don't mind a 90-mile tank), or maybe the KTM Duke/Adventure 990 (not to be confused with the Super Duke). All from companies that are known for dependability and don't leave open questions about how long parts will be available.

blue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
...Buell is the brand being cut and the company still makes Harleys.
it's a sad day indeed. harleys over buell. i already bought something that has a bunch of steel cost more than other and goes slower than the rest and only in a strait line.

My pick-up truck
Old 10-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

bikes are #1 in my life rc and static models are #2. and in stock form a buell with a good rider would beat any other bike in stock form with a good rider around a corner. now when the roads goes strait, yeah buell in the the last 3/4 of the pack. the bmw gsa, 20k for a nealry 900lbs machince,and a totaly bitch to work on.(all bmws are) same with the ktm, Expenisive. the wee-strom is ugly. the duc's dont compare so well with the real dual sports but they're pricy anyway. a klr 650 is my other option.

i know bikes, and the buells and most larger capcity dual proprouse in the us and not in the us. he there is a tdm 850 in indy with low mileage and looks new. it a great bike for dual propuse. but it's too old.

any bike is long distance or offroad bike. just some or more capable than others i avrage over 18k miles a year on sport bikes and standards. atv, dirt bike trails are not fun on a 600f4 but possible.

Last edited by limpy88; 10-23-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
Hateraide

They may say there not working on a new bike but harley/buell are very private about that stuff and they prob have one in the works, my brother is a tech for buell, and he hasnt even heard about them not making no more, they will never be a dead company they will just keep making them just not as many currently...this is what i hope, i love buell
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
and since buell are the best cornering bike ever and they are American made.
Best handling is a bit of a stretch. They have a super small wheelbase so they are twitchy as heck, but I don't think they have half the balance or flickability of a nuetral weighted bike like the R6, CBR600RR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
Tmy brother is a tech for buell, and he hasnt even heard about them not making no more
A Tech for Buell or a Tech for a dealer. The sad truth is they are dead, annouced by none other than Eric Buell himself.

Last edited by binaryterror; 10-23-2009 at 05:55 PM.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
bikes are #1 in my life rc and static models are #2. and in stock form a buell with a good rider would beat any other bike in stock form with a good rider around a corner. now when the roads goes strait, yeah buell in the the last 3/4 of the pack. the bmw gsa, 20k for a nealry 900lbs machince,and a totaly bitch to work on.(all bmws are) same with the ktm, Expenisive. the wee-strom is ugly. the duc's dont compare so well with the real dual sports but they're pricy anyway. a klr 650 is my other option.

i know bikes, and the buells and most larger capcity dual proprouse in the us and not in the us. he there is a tdm 850 in indy with low mileage and looks new. it a great bike for dual propuse. but it's too old.

any bike is long distance or offroad bike. just some or more capable than others i avrage over 18k miles a year on sport bikes and standards. atv, dirt bike trails are not fun on a 600f4 but possible.
I'm with ya on that, m' man! Motorbikes first (non-stop since I was five), then RC Crawlers for me. I have to correct you on one point though. BMW GSA is 564 lbs, not quite approaching 900 lbs. And everything's a bitch to work on, except Vespas....

18K years are big years. That's alot of riding. If you're travelling a lot, put Arizona on your list. We'll host you up some rides in our mountains. Since a friend and I, a few years ago, got into a dick measuring contest over who has more lifetime miles, I've been trying to get 25-30K a year in to catch up. He was able to legitimately claim 275k while I could only claim 210k being honest and not counting dirtbike and MX years as a kid. Trouble is that same friend is now financially set and is out for a week or more every 45-60 days. He's pulling 30-35k years the last two years....I'll never catch up like that.....

Anyway, I'll let you go on believing that Ulysses will out handle any other bike. It seems important to you. I don't want to take that away from you. :-P:-P
blue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I test rode a Ulysses this summer, and it was nice. Great torquey engine, stout front brake. Super comfy seat. Only rode it 20-25 miles on a 75 degree evening, and by the time I got back to the dealer I was thinking "why is my right butt cheek hot?" Apparently it needs more insulation under the seat. Not sure how hot it would get after an hour's ride on a warm day.

Would I buy one for the regular price? Not no but hell no. For $7300, I'd think about it for a few minutes and go find a V-Strom or Versys and buy one of those.

Best handling bike ever? V-Stroms are ugly and a Buell Ulysses is good looking? To each their own I guess.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

i'm sorry for the confusion. no a ulysses is not the best. the xb12 or 1125 is. the ulysses with 6in of softer travel isnt.

i went through arizona in july of this year, stayed in the national forest just west of flagstaff. that was a joke. i didn't know where to camp because of the houses and logging. never really did long trips till this year. never had more than 3 or 4 days off till this year. i usally average 30k or more totall miles done in a year. but snow, hauling stuff and doing stuff with my father and frien means a cage so. going to go talk to buell salesmen tomorrow. my newest bike is 10 years old so they may not take it in on trade.

Last edited by limpy88; 10-23-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue10 View Post
Buell is a Harley after all, so stuff is going to fall off and/or snap in half from the vibration.
Other than the fact its a V-twin, the motors are different, Counterbalanced Balanced and blueprinted, Shorter stroke Higher RPM engines, MUCH MUCH smoother than a harley.

I wouldn't start in on Harley's quality. Dont start that crap with me. Harley has come a LONG way in the past 10 years on quality. My 02 Road king with 39000 miles has not leaked a drop of oil, Not used a drop of oil, Not lost a bolt to vibration. They are quality machines.

If you've ever had the experience of riding a metric cruiser and then jump on a harley, You would understand why Harley's are what they are.

I've rode metric cruisers for 10 years and When I switched to a Harley, There was a night and day quality difference. Fit, finish, motor, Driveability. and overall quality.

My Road King would out ride, out corner, out perform my Yamaha Road Star any day. And quality?? No comparison, You put harley chrome up next to yamaha chrome and tell me there's no diff. HA!

Oh well, Nuff of my rant!
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

its too bad, buels rock..it looks like he,s developed his own engine..hopefully they maybee can carry on with the new mill..not sure what else besides the motor/tranny(very modified) harley really has to contribute to buell, other than the finances and manufacturing facility, which if there was enough demand you would think it could happen..then again times are tough..here the motor its a 70* watercooled twin putting out 146 hp at the wheel..not sure if its pushrods or not..nope
http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/100702.html
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote