Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Advice needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Advice needed.

Okay so last Thursday I had a job interview that I really thought went extremely well, I even made a thread about it.... Hopefully tomorrow is a good day!

I was told that I would be getting a call this Tuesday letting me know if I would be called back for a second interview or not. It is now Wednesday night and I have not heard a thing.

So my question to you guys is if I should do a follow up call to the interviewer myself tomorrow morning or if I should wait it out a little longer? I don't want to seem to eager or impatient, but on the other hand I don't want to seem like I don't care about the job. Not to mention I NEED a freakin job and I absolutely hate being on unemployment!!!

Thanks for any help
wrx-n-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Call em tomorrow. In the meantime, let's drink gin and fight.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

call them.

i got my job by calling and asking when i should come in for the second interview, then again to see when I "should start"
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Call, HR personnel can get scatter-brained and forget to do things, like their job...
Greatscott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
Old guy

Call them, I'm in construction and one time I went to a job site and told the foreman that the boss sent me over to help you guys frame this house, he said cool get started . A couple of hours later the boss showed up and asked the foreman who I was. He said I thought you sent him over here, can we keep him ,he's good. A couple of weeks later I had my own crew and I was the foreman.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Send a thank you letter, ASAP. If it's not for like digging ditches or something.
I got a job (phone interview) based on sending a thank you letter to the interviewers. The guy that hired me, told me the first day on the job that is how I got the job. Only person out of the ~40 he interviewed.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I'm gonna try to get him first thing in the morning. Thanks for the help guys

Oh and you got the tonic EeePee???
Old 11-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I was in the same boat as you but my call back was supposed to be last friday. By Tuesday night I hadn't heard anything so I called the interviewer and he promised a call back today. I actually got the call today and found out they are flying me up to Napa for the second and hopefully final interview on Monday.
Moral of the story, call them and let them know your very interested in the position without sounding desperate. They'll appreciate the fact that you are reaching out to them as long as you don't overdo it. Sometimes these people just get sidetracked with other projects and most of them are liars anyways.
Good luck
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Agreed! When interviewing, you need to be agressive. HR people are lazy....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #10

I have hired a lot of people over the years. Fired a few also. I have never fired anyone for working hard and being aggressive in a positive way. I would not be to cavalier about waiting. People never climb mountains by sitting on the porch. At this point you do not have the job. You have everything to gain by showing your willingness to get things done.

DO NOT be anxious to call about the job. DO NOT call and be too over-ambitious or needy. The last thing an employer wants is "someone else" to deal with. If communicated correctly you can let them know you want the job, have the required skills, and WILL BE an asset to the company. This all can be done in a fast effective telephone call. Do not say things over and over and over like... I really want the job I will LEARN whatever I need to. Talk like you are in control. It is a given that you will have to learn new things if given a job. Practice what you are going to say in front of the mirror or role play with a friend before calling. The last thing you want to do is use a lot of filler words like ummm and uhhh because you are not sure what to say. LOL Not really words but you get the idea.

The more confident you sound the more confident the interviewing person will feel about you. Keep in mind if you are being interview by an HR person they do have to answer for hiring you if you do not work out. If you are being interviewed by the owner of a company you need to remember that is the person who signs the checks, more important your paycheck. This person is the one who never "goes home" at the end of the day for always thinking about the bottom line and what needs to be done next. You have to make sure that person understands clearly you will be an asset to the company. You are the solution to the need they have whatever that need may be. I cannot stress enough how much confidence in both action and speech play a role in hiring someone. Often times running a business and/or managing people can consume most of your time. I have been slow to hire people because I am too busy running a company to hire the person. I have hired more than a few because they called wanting the job.

For people to assume the HR person or other person in charge of hiring is dragging their feet is misleading. I would suggest thinking of it more as this person is busy and has more on their plate than needed. People are hired to be a solution to a problem as well as bring balance to a company.

One last piece of advice and perhaps the most important. After you say what you need to prove they can have confidence in you make sure you confidently ask for the job. After you ask for the job SHUT YOUR MOUTH. If you keep flapping your lips you can talk yourself out of the job. By shutting your mouth it forces the interview to answer a very serious question. Either a positive or a negative will come from this, but you will have the answer you called for.

Hope my little rant helps.
Dan DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

So is there any time during the day that would be best? I was thinking first thing in the morning because I know that is when people are generally in their office and I rather talk to him instead of leaving a message.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Don't call to early because they might have something urgent going on that day that needs to be taken care of. You will be a distraction instead of someone they want to talk to. Give it until atleast 10:00 a.m so they have a chance to clear out the days crap.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I just got off the phone with him. He said that the owners of the company have been out all week, but they are going to be in today. He told me that I would be getting a call to schedule a second interview sometime this afternoon. The guy that is doing the interviewing is actually the plant engineer the position is for a maintenance mechanic so I guess thats why.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
Send a thank you letter, ASAP. If it's not for like digging ditches or something.
I got a job (phone interview) based on sending a thank you letter to the interviewers. The guy that hired me, told me the first day on the job that is how I got the job. Only person out of the ~40 he interviewed.

This should be common practice for every job you interview for.....you should have done it right after your first interview, but you BETTER do it after your second!! A quick note to thank them for their time goes a long way.

I got my job because I kept calling, everytime he said to call if I didn't hear anything. They didn't have a listing for my job, but he gave me one anyway....."The squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Good Luck!!!

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I was looking for a Liquor Store when I found the job I'm at now.

Good luck with the next interview
Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx-n-ktm View Post
Oh and you got the tonic EeePee???
Nope, straight up over ice. But it's Tanqueray Rangpoor lime flavor gin.

Oh yeah, good luck from me too.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #17

Best of luck to you at the interview.
03libertysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Okay so it's now 6PM and I have still not received a call..... Should I call again tomorrow morning or give it a little more time. After the 1st interview I called and left a thank you for your time message, maybe not as good as a letter but hopefully better than nothing!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Still not sure what to do......
Old 11-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Do not call today, wait until Monday. Friday's are always bad days to try and start up something new. Just give it till Monday and call in the LATE MORNING, not 8:00 am. Belive me, I know it sucks to be patient but overdoing it is even worse. iF your the guy for the job, they already know it so one more day isn't going to kill it.
Good luck!